Lamination error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by James Gordon, Jul 25, 2021.

1. James Gordon

James Gordon New Member

Hello again folks. I was wondering if this is some type of lamination or cud error on his forehead? And also is this the poor mans double die? Thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Hi and welcome to CT. That looks like a die crack on the forehead and possibly the poor man's variety but your images are small. Re-post the images of the date but click on Full Size for each one instead of the default thumbnails.

4. James Gordon

James Gordon New Member

5. James Gordon

James Gordon New Member

6. expat

Looks like it IMO

7. James Gordon

James Gordon New Member

How much does it make this penny worth you think?

8. expat

Not much unfortunately. As with all varieties, because it is on the die there were many thousands struck. There may be a small premium to collectors of die cracks, laminations etc. but as with the varieties they are so common your coin would have to grade very high to generate much interest, which your coin doesn't have. I would put it in flip, mark it for what it is for future ref and keep hunting

9. James Gordon

James Gordon New Member

Cool thanks man i appreciate it im just happy to have found it! Thank you for all your input and info!!

expat likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

FYI.. A Cud is a Die break the occurs on the edge of a Die. When the broken Die strikes the blank planchet it causes the Cud on the coin.
    These are Cuds. The raised metal is on the edge.
    1970SCUD.jpg Capture+_2019-10-15-00-25-55.png Capture+_2019-11-05-07-49-37.png 20180424_165455.jpg

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Cud’s must touch the rim. Yours looks like a die crack. Also looks like the start of of poor mans DD. Value, maybe $5.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted