Lamination error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin1302, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Kevin1302

Kevin1302 Member

Lamination error I believe, what do you think. Any value for this type of error.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks to me to be a spill of some kind of chemical. Uh, the white kind. :)

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

For now I am disagreeing with the other members. If you can post a better picture of the Cent at an angle where everyone can see the area in question then I can positively say it's a Lamination of some sort. I collect this type of error so I do see it. Laminations are common on Cents pre 1980's

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It would be better if the OP repositioned the lights at a 45 degree angle so the light isn't reflected back toward the lens.

Chris

ldhair and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Kevin1302

Kevin1302 Member

9. Kevin1302

Kevin1302 Member

Best I can get, hope they help

10. paddyman98

Now that's a better picture. I know that some will disagree that it's a Lamination Error but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. One thing for sure is that it does not look like a chemical stain. I determined that in the first pictures as you can clearly see the word TRUST looks warped which is a characteristic of a Lamination. The only thing is that Cents were not plated in 1972. I feel the it could be some kind of PMD, Post Mint Damage lamination. How? I don't know. If it were a true Lam Error then that's a new one for me. Like I mentioned I collect Lams and I have seen so may strange Lams that do occur.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

From the images, I think it could be any of the above opinions. Part of it looks like a lam that's folded over.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I don't think it's a lam. The discoloration makes me think it's a dried on substance. Cherry coke?

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Dr. Pepper. A lot of people make that mistake. :D

Actually, looks now kinda like someone hit it with a blow torch.

14. Kevin1302

Kevin1302 Member

Whatever it is, it's permanent. I tried cleaning it with nail polish remover and didn't come off. I was hoping for lam error but it's probably just PMD

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sustained heat will buckle the surface like that.

16. paddyman98

NO :confused:

17. paddyman98

Good observation

Not really

Stop putting any chemicals on it now!

Ok guys... now it's time for me to pull out the big guns! :hungry:
    Here is a Lamination Error I sent and had certified by NGC. See the flaking around the edges of the Lam? Now look at the OP Cent.
    20151011_082038.jpg 20151011_082106.jpg 20151011_082052.jpg

Lisa1980 and silentnviolent like this.
  18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow paddy. Talk about a lam :nurse:

I think the op's coin was handled by a kid eating a fruit rollup in the 80's

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Those pictures are not clear enough to tell for sure, but what I can make out sure looks like a lamination to me.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I need better photos.

eddiespin likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If you understand what a lamination is and you look at how this irregularity manages to negotiate its way around the head, that's one pretty darn tricky lamination, if it is one.

These laminations are on the roll sheet before the coin is cut from the roll. Their orientation is dependent on how the coin is seated in the collar. For this one to cleanly negotiate around the head, as it does, I don't think this is any lamination, it's some kind of PMD.

Draft saved Draft deleted