Lafayette Dollar--A Numismatic Treasure

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Mar 23, 2009.

1. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I hope one of 'em is toned, or Lehigh is gonna be really frustrated ! :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

That struck me as odd too. Any theories ?

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Just curious, Why the rush:eek:

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Other then the 4E what is the Rareness of the other Die pairs?

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Just read it all. I really enjoyed this thread. It has given me a new found appreciation for this coin, even though the classic commems aren't high on my list. This is one anybody would love to own. Great design. Love when I can walk away from a thread feeling like I learned something.

7. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

Yes, a great thread that I somehow had always missed reading. Completely agree with Vess -- the best of threads are ones you learn things from.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

I've read it all three times :D

Mine is the Duvall 2c. Are those the more common ones? Which are more uncommon?

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

IIRC these are the percentages of the different die varieties for Lafayette Dollars:

DuVall 1-A: 5%
    DuVall 1-B: 50-55%
    DuVall 2-C: 30-35%
    DuVall 3-D: 8-10%
    DuVall 4-E: 2-3 known

The DuVall 2-C is only scarce when compared with the 1-B. The DuVall 4-E is essentially unattainable and I can't remember whether there are now 2 or 3 known. The discovery coin was originally in an MS60 ANACS slab but I believe it now resides in a PCGS slab. Here is a link to the original Heritage auction lisiting.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=444&Lot_No=2090

The second DuVall 4-E was graded by DGS. For some reason, my mind thinks there was a third example attributed last year but I have no documentation to support the claim.

Past the DuVall 4-E, the DuVall 1-A is the most scarce variety with the 3-D close on it's heels. Hope this answers your question.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Well I can't complain that mine is a 2C then now can I :D
    Next time I'll start looking for the 3D or 4E but won't hold my breath.

Thanks for the education LeHigh.

11. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

I found a au55 cleaned 3d I think i'm going to buy. 600 for this coin does not seem like that much, IDK about the cleaning thou any thoughts ?

12. Duke Kavanaugh

Don't like it if it's cleaned. Not that I don't have a few that were cleaned. But it's your coin.

13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Mine is a 1-B; Lehigh had attributed it on another thread. This has been very interesting reading, a thread worth a bookmark!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is a really nice looking Lafayette you have there. It occurs to me that nowhere in this thread have I posted my DuVall 3-D. What an oversight and one that needs to be remedied immediately.

[​IMG]

treylxapi47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted