Ladies and Gents, She's back from NGC. 1942/41 D

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Mar 4, 2013.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Now that is the mother of all cherry picks. Congrats on a great find!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I guess I am going to sit on it for a while. I took a peek at the population report and pcgs doesn't list any in 65+ FB but has 15 finer, I couldn't find numbers for ngc 65+ but they only list 7 in 66 or higher FB. But it was interesting to note that one of the Heritage NGC MS65FB coins that sold in 2004 was a pcgs ms66+FB in 2011 and sold through heritage as well which is how I noticed it. With that thinking it might be worth the attempt at a crossover....going to have to think hard about it, as it would be a substantial investment for a crossover due to the extra 1% of the coins value they tap you for should it cross.

4. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Still amazed !

Do it -

Attached Files:

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Wow. You are my new personal hero. I'm just sayin'

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

awesome grade for that coin. congrats. envious.

7. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Just curious - is there any particular reason the coin wasn't sent to PCGS to begin with?

Still in awe, by the way...:eek:

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would not answer for that dude but I would guess that some coin collectors are anal about having all the same ngc's or only pcgs's slabs. I went to my local coin shop and saw my dealers new pcgs slab holders having see thru coin holding the coin thingies. he told me some people will re-slab them so they will look all the same. crazy huh. I think so unless you have such deep pockets and care what holder it's in. :rollling: I am happy to have any coins slabbed. I think I prefer NGC slabs out of all of them. that would be a good pole to start if it has not already been done yet. I have 2 NGC's, 1 ICG, and 1 ANAC's. anacs is not to bad but you can not see the sides of the coin. I will stick with NGC slabs. :yes:

9. x115

x115 Collector

great score man.

:yes::thumb:

10. bqcoins

A couple of reasons actually. I don't have a pcgs account, I have automatic submission rights as an ANA member and I am not a fan of the PCGS holder so if I have a choice it is going to NGC. There are other reasons having to do with some of the philosophies that I won't get into here.

11. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Got ya

The coin looks good as it sits, but if/when you plan to sell, you'd see the best return if you got it in PCGS plastic... even if they drop the "plus".

12. bqcoins

Prices on heritage for ms65 are roughly the same for both services, its the 66 where the numbers change drastically and with the tick on the neck and the ever so light abrasions on the cheek this coin would never make 66. I have contemplated a couple of things, one being sending it in to heritage and having them submit the coin for a crossover before auction. I won't come out and say that a submission from heritage would result in a higher grade, but....

13. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

Gosh, you really started something in my house... I show this thread to my wife and explained your discovery and now she's asking me everyday when I'm going to find a +$20k coin... says she's ready to go shopping... :yes:

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Can you imagine the feeling the seller has if he read your post?

Draft saved Draft deleted