Lacking in Buffalo Nickel Knowledge

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hoky77, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I can't find any references on this coin so I am assuming it is damaged or possibly a die chip where the mint mark would be. Buf27.jpg Buf27rev (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I am not sure either, It could be a grease filled die or it could be plated or lacquered. Maybe some of the error experts will know!

Hoky77 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's interesting. I don't know.

Hoky77 likes this.
  5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Is it just a 1927 P? If so and the extra thing there is raised, it's a die chip. This is when a piece of the die literally chips off and the metal there is not compressed so it remains higher than the fields. If the extra thing is part of a mint-mark, then the die probably had some piece of metal or something like that there which blocked the die from compressing the coin metal in that area.

Hoky77 likes this.
  6. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

If it's for sale and it's under $20, I would recommend buying it. The condition is already MS62+, but I would need to see the luster to determine a grade. It has very good details though.

Hoky77 likes this.
  7. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I’m in with chipped die. In mint mark position but no way a mint mark

Hoky77 likes this.
  8. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

$16 You gave me that little push I needed.

Heavymetal likes this.
  9. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Is it a raised die bubble????????????

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

No offense but I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars for that coin.
    Unless it is truly high grade. But it doesn't appear that way to me from the photo.
    The die chip is not a valuable error, and I don't like the grainy, porous looking surface on both sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted