L. Roscius Fabatus 412/1 - Star Fish

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carthago, May 17, 2016.

1. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

The first time I ever looked through the Cahn Hess Haeberlin Collection catalogue from 1933, I noticed this exact coin and fell in love with it. Ever since, it has seemed to jump out at me when I'm on the particular page. I just love the star fish! As the fates would have it, it somehow came up for sale recently buried away all by itself in an auction nobody noticed...except for me! I recognized the coin for what it was, coming from one of the greatest Roman Republican collections ever assembled and a charming example that is poorly served by my iPhone picture. I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen another star fish example in my travels and this one is superior to the one in the British Museum.

The issue of Roscius Fabatus has a 240 different symbol combinations and I think it is a fascinating issue with it's variety and creativity. Mine is , obviously, a star fish (or is it sea star?) on the obverse but the reverse is not so obvious IMO. Haeberlin lists it as a water turtle, and so does Banti but it's one heck of a poorly drawn turtle if that's the case. There are only 2 of these that I have ever seen which are mine and the one in the British Museum, and that one isn't any help with the reverse symbol as mine is much better. The body of the shape is somewhat concave and it has 5 thin "legs" with varying attachments on them. All of the symbols used by Fabatus were related, so it has to be some sort of sea creature and my guess is a jellyfish as seen from above looking down on it, like you would if you were at the beach. It's the same perspective as the star fish. I'm pretty certain it's not a turtle unless it's one that was run over by a chariot!

What do you all think? Feel free to post any ideas on the reverse and related issues.

L Roscius Fabatus 412-1 WAG 2016 - iPhone.jpg

Haeberlin 1933

L Roscius Fabatus 412-1 Haeberlin 1933.jpg

dlhill132, Jwt708, beef1020 and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I agree that it's not a turtle! It could Barnwell be a jelly fish, or whatever the Mediterranean equivalent is to jelly fish. Nice coin and a great catch!

Carthago likes this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin. I'm positive either it isn't a turtle on reverse. A gellyfish would be more consistent, with its very thin, almost pellucid, tentacles.
    As for the seafish/seastar, every one I know of has 5 legs, not 6

Q

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Carthago likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:wideyed:

Want want want!!

I agree with your opinion: starfish + jellyfish :)

There are some with more than five legs (sometimes many more), and the general type which seems to be depicted on Carthago's coin can occasionally be found with six legs :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Love it... what a brilliant coin and provenance. That alien marine blob on the reverse is quite a control symbol!

Carthago likes this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

What a superb coin! I absolutely love the control marks and agree that your interpretation of the reverse one as a jellyfish is very plausible.

Carthago likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here are some six-legged Knobbly Sea Star (which I think is the type the engraver was copying)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: maybe I'm wrong about the species, since this particular star is found in the Indo-Pacific region. Nonetheless, there are probably similarly "knobbed" stars in the Mediterranean.

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, that's an awesome example ... congrats Carthago

Hey, I think Z-Bro may be on to something?

=> maybe it's a STAR and an ALIEN?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jwt708, Carthago, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

What a fantastic catch!!! 'Seafood' and a super cool RR coin all in one swoop!!

Hmmmm, yet another on my wish list.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I certainly agree with the 'not turtle' reading and have no better suggestion than jellyfish. It is a magnificent coin.

Carthago likes this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

Carthago likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

What a gorgeous coin! Well done, and fantastic that you captured such a rare denarius! I agree: Starfish and Jellyfish. Man, I am going for seafood for lunch today!!!

Carthago likes this.
  14. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Thank you all for your kind comments and especially you, TIF, for starfish examples. I'm sea life challenged!

TIF likes this.
  15. Dirk D

Dirk D Active Member

Great catch, Carthago. And you must have sharp eyes to have filtered this one out out of all the wreckage.

Carthago likes this.
  16. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Absolutely brilliant coin!

Carthago likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Actually, the reverse control mark may very well be another type of starfish, a brittle star. The have a more circular body, with the skinnier arms radiating from there. Example:

[​IMG]

18. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

stevex6 and Carthago like this.
  19. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Excellent eye, @TIF !

I hate to derail the discussion, but I'd like to add a few things to the seafood platter. Who ordered the frutti di mare?

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Ephesos
    PB Tessera (15mm, 1.31 g)
    Prawn right, surrounded by scallop, tunny, shark, and dolphin; X over Δ to right Retrograde P within wreath
    Gülbay & Kireç -

Ex Tom Vossen Collection; Münzzentrum 150 (7 Jan 2009), lot 258

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Ephesos
    PB Tessera (21mm,5.66 g)
    Squid
    Blank
    Gülbay & Kireç -

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Ephesos
    PB Tessera (14mm, 3.94 g)
    Cockle or scallop shell
    Blank
    Gülbay & Kireç -​

dlhill132, stevex6, Jwt708 and 6 others like this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ardy, if you ever see another "frutti di mare" tessera, please give me a private heads-up. It's fantastic :)

21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted