L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi - new RR denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cucumbor, May 11, 2019.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hi CT friends

Although Roman republican coinage isn't a main focus of mine, I find myself with a growing interest in them, and probably a third of my 20 last entries are republican.

That said, sometimes a coin type is so common that one always thinks time will come when they'll find the right one.... but time flies and they still don't have it.

The L Calpurnius Piso Frugi Apollo/horseman is one of those. Although I've been collecting ancient for 40 years, I never found myself ready for one until a few weeks ago

[​IMG]
    L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, Denarius Rome mint, 90 BC
    Laureate head of Apollo right, Δ below chin
    Naked horseman galloping right, holding whip; above swan. L.PISO.FRUGI / ROMA at exergue
    3,93 gr - 18,8 mm
    Ref : RCV # 235, RSC # 12b, RRC # 340/1-Calpurnia 12b-symbol 166
    Ex. Naville Numismatics

What really drove me to bidding on that one are the swan in the reverse field, above the horseman, and the slight off-center giving a feeling the rider and his horse are going to jump out of the flan just as they would in a rush (a tiny off-center sometimes gives a dynamic to the reverse scene). In hand the toning isn't bad either (yes I'm pretty happy with it as you might guess)

Quotie from a comment in RCV, millenium edition, p.117 : "this extraordinarily large and complex issuerepresents one of the principal war-coinages of the Romans during the conflict with the Marsic confederation. The control marks are legions and consist of letters, numerals and symbols in a multitude of combinations on obv. and rev."

Comments are welcome, and please post anything you find relevant, RR denarii, Gens Calpurnia, horsemen, Apollo, birds (chicken, even cooked chicken with bacon included) or whatever you like

Cheers
    Q

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Fantastic coin! Well worth the wait.

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice example! Here are the two I have in my collection:
    L CALPURNIUS PISO FRUGI 2.jpg
    L CALPURNIUS PISO FRUGI ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo right, number LV behind
    REVERSE: Horseman galloping right, holding palm L PISO FRVGI below, ROMA monogram, number LXXII above
    Struck at Rome 90 BC
    3.75g, 18.4mm
    Cr340/1, Calpurnia 12
    L CALPURNIUS PISO FRUGI.jpg
    L CALPURNIUS PISO FRUGI ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo r., behind, point control, front, check letter
    REVERSE: Horseman galloping towards r., holding a palm branch, above, symbol, and below Piso Frvgi / check letter
    Struck at Rome 90 BC
    4.0g, 18mm
    Cr340/1, Sydenham 670d. bb/Calpurnia 11
    Ex Timeline Originals

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here's a comment for you....I'm green with envy.:D. Such a beautiful specimen of the type. Congratulations.

I have one, though mine isn't as special as the OP. Mine had a rusty die when struck, which makes the obverse figure look like he has a goatee...or even a zombie (depending on how the light hits the coin). I suppose the control marks are kinda neat.

L Capurnius Piso Frugi.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have nothing sensible to add other than my own Calpurnia....

Obv:– Laureate head of Apollo right, Fractional mark (two vertical pellets) behind bust and (four pellets) in front?
    Rev:– Horseman galloping right, holding palm; L PISO FRVGI below, N Pellet above
    Minted in Rome 90-89 B.C.
    Reference(s) – Crawford 340/1, RSC I Calpurnia 11

[​IMG]

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

o wow!..nice friggy!!...i've been bidding on many but alas, my total rings with the sound of a Mother Superior..."Nun"...:D

Cucumbor likes this.
  8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Here's one:

Phil (54).JPG

Phil Davis

9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coin. Symbols sometimes entice me to buy a second (or third) coin from a moneyer I already have. I like anchors.
    rr denarius L.C.PISO anchor die mark obv AA.jpg rr denarius L.C.PISO anchor die mark rev AA.jpg Piso anchor symbol DrBP 11.18.17.JPG
    Roman Republican Denarius, L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, 90 BC, Rome

Obv – head of Apollo R, before letter, behind anchor

Rev – galloping horseman R, holding palm branch, above V (Q), below L.PISO.FRVGI

Cr 340/1

Edessa, Curtisimo, chrsmat71 and 14 others like this.
  10. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Amazing example!
    LPisoFrugi .jpg
    L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, 90 BC, AR Denarius
    Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right; * to left, P to right
    Rev: Horseman galloping right, carrying palm; D/• above
    Size: 17.5mm, 4.06g
    Ref: Crawford 340/1; Sydenham 671; Calpurnia 11a

Edessa, Curtisimo, chrsmat71 and 12 others like this.
  11. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Great coin! Here's mine from a similar but later issue in 67bc.
    Crawford408:1a.jpg
    C. Calpurnius L.f. Frugi.
    Ob: Head of Apollo r., hair bound with fillet; behind, club.
    Rev. Horseman galloping r., wearing conical cap and holding palm branch; above, T. Below, C·PISO·L·F·FRVGI.
    B. Calpurnia 24. Sydenham 865c. Crawford 408/1a.

Edessa, Curtisimo, chrsmat71 and 14 others like this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, that's a fantastic example, Q. And that you picked up one with that particular control symbol just shows what great taste you have, too. Here's, ahem, mine, albeit not as nice as yours. :shame:

[​IMG]
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius. 3.97g, 18.8mm. Rome mint, AD 90. L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, moneyer. Crawford 340/1. O: Laureate head of Apollo right. R: Naked horseman galloping right, holding whip; above, swan and below, L PISO FRVGI / ROMA.
    Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

Edessa, Curtisimo, chrsmat71 and 13 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do really like the swan (? is that what Banti called Ibis or a different bird?) in field an overall look of your coin. I was attracted to mine below by (in common with Bing's coin) the Roman numerals used. Obverse die 77 includes the old fashioned 'arrow' L for 50. Reverse die 94 (XCIV could be more complete) shows subtractive numerals and points out that reverse dies wore out faster than obverse.
    r14060bb2248.jpg

Edessa, Curtisimo, chrsmat71 and 9 others like this.
  14. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

You see the same with my coin. The reverse mark has a higher number than the obverse...showing that reverse dies didn't last as long as obverse.

Cucumbor likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Incredible coin @Cucumbor ! I felt exactly the same: cool swan, and cool centering making the scene look like they were galloping off the flan!

Social War is a favorite Roman period for me..l

My Frugi

upload_2019-5-11_21-49-18.png
    RR Calpurnius Piso Frugi 90 BCE Social AR Den CXXXII ROM-A monogram Apollo Horseman - Marsic S 235 Cr 340-1

Curtisimo, Finn235, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Interesting coins from my point of view, common and perhaps not all that beautiful as the mints were working hard during the Social War. This was the war coinage during the conflict with the Marsic Confederation. Lots of variations - the British Museum has >300 varieties. I'm not certain about the control mark on the coin below - I think it is "grapes with vine" on obverse. XCVIIII (99) on the reverse in a different position than other coins shown so far.
    L Piso Frugi num.jpg We can see 3 of the 4 major reverse varieties have already shown up in this thread: torch in OP, whip, and palm. The fourth major variety is a left facing horseman with palm.

Curtisimo, chrsmat71, Finn235 and 7 others like this.
  17. Cucumbor

Thank you all for the kind words and some great examples with various control marks

When I first saw the coin, and before doing my homework, my thought was of an ibis rather than a swan too. And even more so as I found the coin back home from a trip to South Africa two weeks ago, where I saw some nice ibis :

P1290318s.JPG

Q

18. Cucumbor

It looks like you have great taste too @zumbly ! :D
    The year is 90 BC though instead of AD 90 as you have mistyped

Cheers
    Q

zumbly likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Whoops. Thanks for the correction. :)

Alegandron and Cucumbor like this.
  20. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Lovely coin.

As an exigent wartime issue, these coins were produced hurriedly and were often struck with worn dies on the brink of catastrophic failure. Thus, coins with die breaks and die wear are common. The mint was clearly more concerned with numbers than quality control. Evidencing the size of the issue, Crawford estimates 864 obverse and 1080 reverse dies were used to produce Frugi’s denarii. Style also deteriorates over the life of the issue. The best style coins, like yours, tend to have ROMA, either spelled-out or in monogram, in reverse exergue. These were probably among the earliest of the series.

This type alludes to the annual celebration of the Ludi Apollinares instituted by Frugi’s ancestor during the Second Punic War. These games were held at the Circus Maximus in July of each year and lasted 8 or 9 days, consisting of horse racing and performances.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Carthago, Cucumbor and red_spork like this.
  21. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Way back in 1989, I bought what I thought was one of the Piso Frugi 90 B.C. horseman issues - like the OP and others posted here. The seller was a reputable dealer, still around, who issued catalogs, like they did in the old days, but he made a mistake. I was pretty new at ancients, and the Internet wasn't available to civilians, but I had access to Crawford and after a while figured out I had a later issue from c. 67 B.C., coined by a son of the OP's moneyer - here is a note I made for myself at the time:

"Moneyer is Gaius Calpurnius Piso Frugi, son-in-law to Cicero and son of Lucius Calpurnius Piso, from whom he inherited the Apollo-and-horseman types.
    Sydenham dates coins in this series to c. 64 B.C."

I was actually happy about the error - the later issue is quite a bit scarcer than the Social War issue.

Finally, in 2017, I managed to get the 90 B.C. issue on the cheap on eBay. Here they both are - the reverse legends are the real giveaway here:

RR - Piso Frugi 90 and 67 BC 1989 & 2017 (0).jpg

Roman Republic Denarius
    L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi
    (90 B.C.)

Laureate head of Apollo right; symbol behind (T?) / L PISO FRVGI/CXV below horseman galloping right, carrying palm T• below.
    Crawford 340/1; Syd. 665a; Calpurnia 11.
    (3.70 grams / 19 mm)

Roman Republic Denarius
    C. Piso L.f. Frugi
    (67 B.C.)

Head of Apollo right, bound with fillet; horse(?) behind / C. PISO L F FRV below, man on horse holding palm-branch galloping right; X above.
    Cr. 408; Calpurnia 24 - 29a
    (3.53 grams / 17 mm)

Draft saved Draft deleted