Kweichow Auto Dollar (1928) {2 Leaves Type} : Raw to PCGS Graded!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Anthony H, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Anthony H

Anthony H Visit my "Coin-stagram:" @anthonythecoinman

CHINA (Republic) | Kweichow Province - Auto Dollar (7 Mace 2 Candareens) - 2 Leaves Variety - Year 17 (1928) | PCGS XF Details - Cleaned | ex. Old 1950s Collection

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well! Today, I wanted to share a raw coin that I submitted to PCGS Express in November of 2023, and looking back, I am surprised with this result and so grateful to own this coin to my growing collection.

This coin needs no introduction, as it is the famed Kweichow Auto Dollar struck in 1928 (Year 17) of the Republic. It was minted from the stolen dies and hubs from the neighboring mint of Szechuan, and specifically, at Chengtu, according to some sources. Yet, we need to do more research on mintage figures and the place or origin. We also know that this piece was struck to commemorate the completion of the Kweichow (Guizhou) Provincial Highway, or National Highway to some sources, and reportedly featuring Governor Zhou Xicheng, the local warlord’s personal automobile. This is also one of the most popular Chinese, and at least, Republican, silver issues and I am so honored to have a classic and iconic coin, and has motivated me to keep on collecting.

This piece has been graded PCGS XF Details Cleaned, with some very old cleaning that has now been toned over after being stored in a paper album. Rare in any grade! Nice colors and please check the original, in hand pictures. The colors are very nice and natural, with peripheral tone when at certain angles, including the character side denticles. We see the usual circulation marks that make this a solid piece, that does not lean towards VF, like many pieces, and shows the history of this popular Chinese crown. These were crudely struck, as shown on the denticles area on both sides, but we are able to ascertain authenticity with a variety of means, including die breaks and matching. This example remains rather enchanting and sharp in detail, with surfaces that retain crisp characters and design motifs and some occasional weakness—as expected.

Provenance: An Old 1950s American Collection and acquired Fall 2023

References: Lin and Ma 609, Kann 757, Krause Y-428, WS-1109. Variety with two grass blades.

Attached Files:

• D.jpg
      D.jpg
      File size:
      530.8 KB
      Views:
    • E.jpg
      E.jpg
      File size:
      436.8 KB
      Views:
    • C.jpg
      C.jpg
      File size:
      503.7 KB
      Views:
    • B.jpg
      B.jpg
      File size:
      414.7 KB
      Views:
    • Kweichow.jpg
      Kweichow.jpg
      File size:
      492.2 KB
      Views:
    • Raw A.jpg
      Raw A.jpg
      File size:
      370.5 KB
      Views:
    • Raw B.jpg
      Raw B.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
    • RawD.jpg
      RawD.jpg
      File size:
      404.1 KB
      Views:
    • Raw E.jpg
      Raw E.jpg
      File size:
      180.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am sure that if it weren't for the area 9 to 12 on the obv it would have strait graded.

4. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

I love the thrill of sending in coins for grading! The reverse is quite nice and I agree with @Pickin and Grinin

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Nice and congratulations! Very nice toning.

I have an unslabbed coin. Purchased from Harlan Berk many years ago. It is not as nice as the OP coin, more of a cleaned VF in my estimation.

China, Republic, Kweichow dollar, year 17 (1928).
    Y  428
    26.74 grams

D-Camera China, Kweichow dollar, year 17 (1928), Y  428 26.74 grams HJB 1-10-23.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  6. Anthony H

Thank you for your comments--I do agree too! I just love the old tone and for me personally, finding a coin in the wild and having it grade (authentic)!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Anthony H

Agreed with ya! Have some stuff at the TPGs at the moment!

8. Anthony H

Thanks for your support! Yours is lovely! And I could match the usual die breaks and features found in these Kweichow two leaf types! What a coin with nice provenance!

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Both are nice coins! It's one coin that I missed for a long time. Price for them today are quite something...

robinjojo likes this.
  10. Anthony H

Thank you so much! Great to hear from you and I do agree about the prices. It is indeed a popular coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted