Kunker Unsold Lots

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mrktstrtmyhm, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Mrktstrtmyhm

Mrktstrtmyhm Active Member

Anybody have experience with Kunker after sales? The auction ended Friday afternoon EST and theres still no update to their unsold lots on their site. Will they be available Monday 9am Germany time? I emailed them and they just replied vaguely that unsold lots will be 'available soon after the entire auction ends'

I'd rather not wake up 1am EST and check every 30 min :)

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

They have a list of Ergebnisliste und Rücklosliste (realized prices and unsold lots) on their web site. If the lot you want is listed unsold, email them and ask if you can reserve the item. At worst you hear Monday.

panzerman and tibor like this.
  4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I don't believe there were many unsold lots in Kunker and, even so, it might not be the best idea to try to buy unsold lots. While there are exceptions and it's of course theoretically possible that something slipped through the cracks, it's also possible that dealers were able to view coins in-hand and noticed an issue that wasn't shown in the photos.

At the very least, all attending bidders decided it wasn't worth the opening price; conditions probably didn't change that drastically in the last few days.

I do glance through unsold lists as well but with a very cautious eye.

panzerman, Scipio, PeteB and 3 others like this.
  5. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

Unsold lots were unsold for a reason. Unless there is something in these lots that others might have missed, I would pass on unsold lots.

panzerman likes this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have bought over 100 "unsold" lots from various auction houses. Of the 100/ I was very happy with all of them. Here is one from Ranieri.....
    This AV Ducato ND (1506)
    Valencia
    Fernando II of Aragon
    was unsold/ its the best ex. I have seen..... IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

rrdenarius and DonnaML like this.
  7. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

I have purchased three unsold lots. In each case, I’d found pedigrees that were missing from the auction listing, and that I believe made the coin worth the starting price. That said, I would echo the thoughts of the other members in this thread and advise against purchasing unsold lots unless you have some information that was not available to the bidding public.

Volodya, panzerman and rrdenarius like this.
  8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have purchased more unsold lots than I can count. My grade requirements are lower than some, and higher than others. I started collecting VF and moved to gVF / EF coins. This is a wide range for RR denarii. Many desirable coins in those ranges go unsold, especially if the seller has start prices near estimates. I think Kunker has start prices well below reasonable price and I have not found any coins in their unsold lots.
    Often unsold lots are offered later. That is the case for this lot of weights.
    Seven Byzantine Bronze Commercial Weights BFI 5.24.20.jpg
    face weight close up celestron.jpg
    It was unsold at 60 euros. I missed the auction and the company did not offer the unsold lot at start price. The lot was listed about a year later and I paid about 2 times the unsold price. As a single item in an auction with a good write-up, I would have paid more for the one weight than I paid for the lot. Auction price is determined by what 2 bidders are willing to pay.
    I am like @panzerman , there is a lot of fun in the hunt for a coin that talks to you.

Bing, paschka, DonnaML and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted