Kroton AR triobol newp

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Aug 29, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My only win in the recent CNG sale arrived today. I'm satisfied wit the coin but it raises many questions I find addressed with less than satisfying answers in references available to me.

The coin is not scarce with several specimens shown online. It is listed in standard rferences but not all agree on details like denomination. Sear Greek 468 calls it a diobol or 1/6 stater. I prefer the latter since coins of Italy in the 5th century need not be forced into Athenian denominations. CNG and some other references call it a triobol which would make it a 1/4 stater and too light. Mine is a touch lighter than some at 1.17g (11mm diameter) but within reason to be a sixth stater. All references list the tripod as the obverse but my coin has fabric that makes me question which side was on the anvil when struck. I would like to see other specimens in hand to see if I see them in a similar way. It is very hard to see such things in photos. The legend on various specimens differ with some being retrograde (right to left) and others normal left to right. Mine is a weird mix of the two but not the only one I have seen with this situation. When Greek is written right to left, the letters should flip to a mirror image. Many letters are the same either way (AOVT etc.) but others are directional and should flip (BKPN). On this coin we see retrograde OPQ for Kroton but the P goes the wrong way.
    g00285fd3338.jpg

The other side is a curly wing Pegasus with larger qoppa which most references have no trouble accepting as meaning Kroton just as the qoppa on the tripod side did. To me the coin is likely an alliance issue with Corinth. The Pegasus is a dead ringer for small silvers of that city. Catalogs list many alliance issues of Kroton from the 5t century BC but most of them are neighboring Italian towns. I have a lot of studying to do before I am comfortable with the questions I see in this coin. If anyone has a reference that explains these matter (not just copies ID's from other references), I would appreciate the links or bibliographic reference).

Below is a Corinth trihemiobol for comparison. There are closer matches but this is what I have. Show me your curly wing Pegasus coins. g01360b00516lg.jpg

icerain, TJC, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Wow @dougsmit , I am really impressed with your latest coin. She is a keeper!

Let us know what you find about the orientation of those letters.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I actually like the toning best on it.

5. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't have any answers but wanted to say wow-- nice job on the images!

Also, is it unusual to for Pegasus to be shown wearing reins?

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like your new coin. It just looks "right" and should be in your collection (or mine).
    Lampsakos Mysia.jpg
    LAMPSAKOS, MYSIA THRACE
    AE-10
    OBVERSE: Female head right, hair rolled
    REVERSE: Forepart of winged horse right, ΨΑ above, symbol below
    Struck at Lampsakos, Mysia 399-200 BC
    1.24g, 10mm
    BMC Mysia p. 84, 53 ff. var (symbol)

Pantikapaion 3.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION
    AE16 Dichalkon
    OBVERSE: Beardless head of satyr Pan right, with ear of ass
    REVERSE: Forepart of Pegasos right
    Struck at Pantikapaion 310--304/3 BC
    3.0g, 16mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 872

Q TITIUS.jpg
    Q TITIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS TITIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Head of Mutinus Titinus (Priapus) right, wearing winged diadem
    REVERSE: Pegasus springing right, Q TITI on base
    Struck at Rome 90 BC
    3.8g, 18mm
    Cr341/1, Syd 691; Titia 1

icerain, zumbly, Sallent and 4 others like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Many but not all dies of the type have reins. I can't recall seeing them from Corinth.

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Mine has the legend on the right of the tripod rather than left. The reins are not as clear as on the OP, but they're there.

image.jpeg

My Corinth obol with curl-winged pegasos has clearer reins.

image.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted