Krause Catalog availablitiy

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Sep 27, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

No - you can't just query baseball-reference for all the players that played on the Reds between 1914-1921 and copyright that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Taking copyrighted data and dropping it into a database doesn't remove the copyright.

More generally, I'm pretty sure you are incorrect.

https://www.justia.com/intellectual-property/copyright/lists-directories-and-databases/

https://www.copyright.gov/reports/db4.pdf

and

Yes, Justia says that "more often than not..." however, recall the specific compilation (database) we are talking about, one that requires assembling information from dozens of different sources.

Regardless it's irrelevant. If they won't license it to you, they'll get you on theft.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Oh no, not this again. Don't you remember the last time. He posted numerous links to case law to prove the trained, legal professionals wrong. Don't forget, he said his sister is a lawyer. Based on his previous posts, In his mind his opinions are absolute truths, so you're not going to change them with inconvenient facts. This guy is the best darn barstool lawyer you'll find

th (1)_1.jpeg

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I know this topic is commonly misunderstood, but no - I am correct.

I already posted the law and the rulings

But here is another case just to hammer it home

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-wins-protection-time-zone-database

NOBODY said that. Please don't mix up issues.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

BTW that is not a database. This misrepresentation of the facts has been pushed by lying IP lawyers trying to get a huge score for decades and it fails EVERY TIME.

This is the definition of taking, for example, all of Washington Irving's short stories and putting in in a single nice volume. THAT volume is copyrighted as to the design of and presentation of the data. Dropping all of Irving's texts on line in an searchable format, like project Guttenberg, is NOT copyrightable. My family has 3 generations of copyright experts. It is born and bread in my bone. If you want to, we can get on the phone right now with Eben Moglen and he can explain it to you. It will have to be off line though, because for me, I am done with this conversation. It gets dangerously close to a political conversation and those are banned.

Regarding Krause data. The data itself, like any other data, is not copyrightable. Any images are. And parts taken verbatim from catalogues MIGHT be. The format and paging etc are. But the data is just data. You can't copyright facts, EVEN if they are printed in a copyrighted work. You have it backwards. The material is copyrighted. The database is not. Unless you want to recreate the entire body of knowledge from scratch, you are pretty much stuck without copyright of the underlining material. I don't know what rights they brought when they purchased the Krause books. But anyone can quote a catalogue, or a newspaper, or a book, and discuss them in writing or in other works. What you can't do is lift the text and images in whole or substantial part, verbatim, of a work, and present in your own work without a license. That is likely the problem. I don't know where Krause got all the images from and what the licenses involved are. They may all need to be renegotiated.

To make this clearer, lets say I want to make an index of ALL the cateloges from xyz auctions over the last 200 years, I am perfectly within my right. I can refer to them and discuss them and even quote small peices under fair use. I can even put them all in my database whole, as long as I don't publish them or share them broadly with the public. I can't take all their photographs, though and descriptions and put them in my own book that I publish.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted