Korean War Era Bills from Korea

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by MerlinAurelius, May 12, 2017.

1. MerlinAurelius

MerlinAurelius Well-Known Member

kbills.jpg Here are some bills I have from Korea during the Korean War Era. Anyone else with Korean bills???

Jwt708, SavageFountain and Muzyck like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MerlinAurelius

Also what is the best way to store them???

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat. You can get currency sleeves.

5. MerlinAurelius

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

They come in pages and individual sleeves in a variety of sizes. They have the Standard made from PVC, non-vinyl which should be OK, and archival sleeves. I use Supersafe non-vinyl for Notgeld and haven't had any issues in 25+ years of storage

MerlinAurelius likes this.
  7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Mylar-D or equivalent material is excellent for storage :)

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Check your favorite coin supply store - they'll have something. If they were mine I would be looking for some type of archival quality, like what Oldhoopster suggested.

Interesting notes. @mlov43 is the resident expert in Korean numismatics...not sure if he's into paper though.

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

The one on the left is a 1,000 Won (old) note, with catalog numbers Pick-8 and DaeGwangsa 44-1. The one on the right is a 100 Won (old) note, with catalog numbers Pick-7 and DaeGwangsa 44-2. I believe that notes with serial numbers 500 and lower were printed in Japan, due to the war, and hold a higher collector value than those with higher numbers. I guess fewer of these were printed. Other banknote enthusiasts are more knowledgable than I with regard to S. Korean notes. I just don't know if there are any who lurk here at CT.

These notes were printed from July 1950 until their total withdrawal on February 17, 1953 during the country's second currency reform, which introduced the hwan currency which then was South Korea's currency until another currency reform in June 1962 changed it to the (new) Won, which has been the currency ever since.

10. MerlinAurelius

Great! Thanks for the information.

11. SavageFountain

SavageFountain Active Member

Cool notes! I love collecting North and South Korean banknotes though I need to find some good examples of the hwan edition of their coins to go along with my collection. Here are a few of the ones I have been picking up lately.

Attached Files:

12. MerlinAurelius

Nice collection!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted