Korean Tiger

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jun 18, 2018.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I Know this is more of a bullion thing than a world coin thing but hey, I figured it would get more love over here. :) 2018 Korea Tiger 1oz Ag.jpg It's a beautiful design I think. Mintage of 30,000. KOMSCO started minting gold Tigers in 2016 but 2018 is the first year for the silver Tigers.
    Thanks for looking!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Funny how all the words are in English. Pretty clear they're aiming for the foreign market. I do like the tiger though.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice design on the tiger, and I think it's coo, what they did with the letters and the peninsula.

AUAGBUG likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

The characters on the peninsula spell out 대한민국 which is "Republic of Korea" in Hangeul :)

AUAGBUG and Jwt708 like this.
  6. Hiddendragon

I was wondering if that said something. Still, I feel like all the words in the most prominent locations are English.

7. furryfrog02

That's true. Though working as a Korean linguist for the last 11 years and having lived in Korea as well, I'm not at all surprised :p
    Still, probably marketed to non-Koreans more than Koreans.

8. Hiddendragon

I ordered one. Thanks for sharing!

9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

They are not the only ones looking for foreign markets. I heard the Canadian $8 coins are meant to entice the Chinese who consider the number eight to be a lucky number.

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What does it show in this part?
    It's a shifting pattern correct?
    Capture+_2018-06-19-05-13-57.png

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The Chiwoos have the same thing. You tilt it and it says 999.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. furryfrog02

It shifts between 999 and Ag.

ManfredNam and paddyman98 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

I've got each of the Chiwoos that have been released so far as well. I'm not a huge fan of them but Korea is near and dear to me so I will continue to get them haha.

longnine009 likes this.
  14. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Korean Tiger. The Korean Republic is, of course, South Korea. Strange that coins are in English. Could that be because of closeness to the United States ? The tiger, although attractive, it's a pity that it's head almost merges with it's body.

15. furryfrog02

Many Koreans think that the peninsula looks like a tiger.
    [​IMG]

I personally think it looks more like a rabbit:
    [​IMG]

Hiddendragon likes this.
  16. Bert Gedin

I didn't know that. In the second picture, there is no tiger. Has he been eaten up by that vicious rabbit ??? Interesting, isn't it, that North and South are together in ?both illustrations. But the Rabbit better watch out, or he'll get bitten in the bum by Japan !!!

17. furryfrog02

Well the tiger picture is from waaaaaaaaaaaaay before there was a North/South Korea lol. The rabbit has a DMZ line going through his chest :)
    Also, if you look around the bum of the rabbit you will see a bunch islands. I consider those to be rabbit raisins...so maybe Japan should be on the look out to avoid getting defecated on. :p

18. Bert Gedin

Lucky for Japan that North and South haven't changed places !!!

19. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Here’s an early Korean coin. Cast in the years 1097-1107, it reads Tong Guk Tong Bao (Eastern Country Circulating Currency). 6FED4484-89CE-4E36-988D-FDDE82D7B187.jpeg 6245BAC0-06C0-4F9B-8EF3-54442101DA36.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

All I know is that the entire peninsula (North and South) altogether has a few more square miles than does the state of Minnesota.

21. Bert Gedin

Something else Minnesota hasn't got - the 38th parallel (and Rocket Man !!!).

mlov43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted