Koinon: International Journal of Classical Numismatic Studies

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nicholas Molinari, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

I’m interested to hear your opinions about starting an annually published peer-reviewed journal for all branches of classical numismatics and related topics (iconography, economics, etc.). It would be an “independently” peer reviewed journal, which means those submitting manuscripts would be responsible for seeking out colleagues to review the work before it is submitted for publication (and providing evidence they did this); though I would like to establish an editorial board with one expert from each of the major branches who are available for consultation by the general editor upon request. It would be a print journal, even if that sounds like a terrible idea in the “digital age”.

My original thought was to publish in English, but now I’m thinking it would be open to any language provided there is an English abstract.

Tentative Journal Title: Koinon: International Journal of Classical Numismatic Studies

Tentative Editorial Board Positions:

Archaic Greek Coinage
    Classical Greek Coinage
    Hellenistic Greek Coinage
    Roman Republican Coinage
    Roman Imperatorial Coinage
    Roman Imperial Coinage
    Late Roman Coinage
    Roman Provincial Coinage
    Byzantine Coinage
    Early Islamic Coinage
    Oriental Greek Coinage
    Central Asian Coinage
    East Asian Coinage
    Dark Ages
    Medieval
    Exonummia

My vision is that the journal is published yearly as a hard cover book with a corresponding PDF e-book made available for free to the world after one year from the date of release of the print book. I would take orders as the journal nears completion and print only what is needed (plus a few presentation copies for the inaugural issue). I may or may not seek an outside firm to cover publication costs and distribution, depending on how popular it is. The ultimate purpose of the journal is to give collectors and scholars another avenue to publish their findings outside of the traditional journals produced by the major numismatic societies around the world.

What do you think? Any suggestions are appreciated.

dlhill132, Smojo, Nyatii and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I would very much like to contribute to such a project. Count me enthusiastically in.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It sounds great. Do you think the articles would be comprehensible to average ancient collectors?

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It sounds like a wonderful idea to me!!!

7. Nicholas Molinari

I think that might be a priority as an editor. Stuff that is well researched but most importantly, interesting.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sounds like a wonderful idea as long as you have the time and inclination to manage it. I thought as I got older I would live a life of leisure. HA! The days never are long enough and seem to go by quicker and quicker. When I was young waitin' on my birthday, it seemed to take forever. Now birthdays fly by. Just like my days. I certainly would be most interested in this project.

Hispanicus, Smojo, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
  9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I don't believe I have the knowledge to contribute (yet) but count me a subscriber.

Mikey Zee and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While the idea seems wonderful, I see many practical trip ups that would make the idea a difficult sell in the professional community. Without them, it would be basically a new version of 'Best of the Celator' minus the periodical magazines.Finding qualified 'peers' willing and able to serve may not be as easy as you imagine. I do not have the specialized expertise to write for such a project but I would be interested to see it happen.

Smojo, Andres2, TIF and 2 others like this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I love the idea, but agree with Doug. The thought of creating an academic journal and finding both contributors and peer-reviewers seems daunting to me

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I think it is a great idea and a noble pursuit. However, I also think it will take a lot of time and effort to get started and perhaps even more to keep going.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I think thats a great idea too.

14. Nicholas Molinari

Maybe a "Best of Celator"-style journal isn't such a bad idea? It had some great articles. I was thinking more in-line with the AJN and similar journals but perhaps something more collector-oriented is better.

The idea of using independent peer review I'm borrowing from a few academic publishing houses. Blind review is of course great, but I could never facilitate that.

My thought is to assemble a board to help oversee, do a call for papers, and see where it takes us.

hoth2 likes this.
  15. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I think its a great idea as long as you have the time and discipline to to accomplish.

Smojo and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I suppose a journal by collectors and for collectors may have a larger appeal, and it might be easier to find contributors. I would be more willing to submit an article to something like that, as most of my research into coins hasn't yielded any new and dramatic findings (I just don't have time for a project like that with my job), but I do enjoy putting coins within the historical context of when they were minted. I always think that is a fun read, but it's not necessarily academic research.

Volodya and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Any progress or additional thoughts on this? I've just been thinking about it, and this could potentially fill the void left by the Celator. How many articles per issue? Would it make more sense to do a magazine style quarterly (with a smaller number of articles and maybe regular columns), or does that make it too fan-fic and not serious academic which is the goal? Full color photos included in the articles, or black and white plates?

Sorry - just thought I'd get the conversation going again. I like the idea, it just may be a good amount of work. Might be better to start small.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with Doug but if this is something you're passionate about, I hope you get it going :) I'll support it in whatever way I can.

Well... I'd rather like it to be more casual and Celator-ish :D. Serious academic numismatic journals already exist. I guess our desires differ in this.

Koinon, or...

CoinOn.gif

Okay, maybe that's a bit too casual :D

Smojo, hoth2, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Frankly, I agree with you. I enjoy the ANA's magazine, but there's not enough ancients or medievals... and as I said above, I'd be more willing to contribute to something more casual.

TIF likes this.
  20. Nicholas Molinari

I think it will have elements of both worlds, just like the Celator. Some serious academic studies, but plenty of room for short notes and reviews, or general interesting commentary/reflection. No room for wild speculation or poor quality analysis, obviously. I'm slowly working out the details now. We have several notable volunteer editors to serve on the board.

I wouldn't have time to facilitate a quarterly or even semi-annual non-profit publication. But editing an annual anthology, with the help of others, would be do-able and fun, I think. I'm still brainstorming at this point and feeling out interest in the community, both among scholars and collectors.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

An informal publication on this basis sounds like the most realistic approach, at least as a 'start-up' project.

Since, I'm far removed from being an 'authority' on any aspect of ancient coins, I'm probably more of a reviewer than a contributor---but I'll be as helpful as I can.

Smojo and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted