KOINON III (2020) Call for Papers!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nicholas Molinari, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Theodosius, Ajax, randygeki and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Bump. If you’re thinking of submitting, let me know. We have an April 15th “deadline.”

4. Nicholas Molinari

This will be the last time I bump this thread. If you are planning on submitting something, please shoot for mid April, so a month and a half away!

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Do you have a copy of the format for new varieties? I unfortunately dont think I will be able to write up an article, but I have some varieties I could submit.

6. Nicholas Molinari

7. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Do you have an example of how the new variety reports look in the actual publication? Are they searchable? Are such reports looked at / used by.scientific community, like the authors of RPC?

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  8. Nicholas Molinari

I've attached a few sample pages. Right now, they are not searchable--however, at some point I'll work with Archaeopress to determine a date in which these will be uploaded to an online searchable database. Whether or not it is currently used I do not know--currently it is more of a celebration of finding a new variety and formal recording of it (so for fun and bragging rights). But the subscriptions are expanding and more and more universities are subscribing. Generally speaking, if someone has discovered a new variety and thinks it is relevant to a larger work, I recommend that person sends a scan of the finished product to whatever author might be interested (just do not upload to academia or a public site, out of respect for the publishing house). There is so much published these days that it could easily be overlooked, especially as the journal is still in its infancy!

IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Neat. I have an article I need to write. This should give me the motivation to do so

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Maybe I'll take a shot. What kind of topics are they looking for?

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  11. Nicholas Molinari

Really anything interesting about ancient and medieval coins that presents a new insight, discovery, or perspective worth sharing—sophisticated enough where it is clear the author is well read in the subject but not necessarily super-technical. People have submitted die studies, new methodologies, literary interpretations (supported by numismatic evidence), iconographic studies, hoard reports, etc.

Here is the Archaeopress page where you can see contents of the first two volumes as well as (longer) sample articles:

http://www.archaeopress.com/ArchaeopressShop/Public/defaultAll.asp?Series=KOINON

Articles can be long (40 pages is about the maximum) or very short (1 page). I’d be happy to serve as a sounding board if you are on the fence.

12. Nicholas Molinari

Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to report that we have several truly excellent papers that were accepted for Koinon III. There is still time, however, to submit an unpublished variety. What better way to celebrate your collection than publishing a short note about a coin that has gone unnoticed for thousands of years? If you have such a coin please consider submitting it.

Apparently, we are also now available through EBSCOhost and ProQuest eBook central, which means your work would be found in academic institutions all over the world. Cool, right?

Thanks,

Nick

13. Nicholas Molinari

KOINON III is at the printer. We were a bit delayed this year due to the virus but digital copies should be available momentarily and the print copies within a few weeks!
    Cover.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted