Knowledgeable about Mexico Cap & Rays 8 Reales varieties?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by vintagemintage, May 4, 2018.

1. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

I just received this coin from Heritage:

Obv.jpg lf.jpg

In their listing they described it as:

"Republic 8 Reales 1833 Zs-OM AU55 NGC, Zacatecas mint, KM377.13, DP-Zs13. Medal Axis. We have reason to believe that this is actually the normal date variety rather than the NGC overdate designation. Handsomely toned with a remnant luster that radiates beneath. An interesting die clash is present on the reverse that gives the eagle an emission of rays as well. A decent strike with some dimensionality to the cap as it appears to hover over the rays."

I've taken more pictures of the date at various angles because it looks to me like something more than "normal date" happened to the last 2 digits (and lettering on the reverse too) on the die:
    1316994190583.jpg 1316994199487.jpg 1316994208712.jpg 1316994214233.jpg 1316994249186.jpg

The slabbed coin was also accompanied by a paper envelope in a Mylar flip with a sticker carrying the same lot number as the coin. There are some notes on it that must have significance to somebody, but other than the mint/date/assayer I can't tell what they mean. Can anyone clue me in?
    8-Reales envelope.jpg

Interestingly, while Heritage noted the reverse die clash, it appears that both dies are clashed.

So I'm wondering, is NGC's overdate designation correct?
    or.. .
    is Heritage's normal date attribution?
    or...
    is this another variety?

longshot likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

"Resplandores" notes that the 3's were converted from 2's and are often mistaken for an overdate. The 3/2 variety shown in the book does appear to match your coin however. Particularly the V shave in the lower loop of the last 3.

longshot likes this.
  5. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for that reference. I'm a relative newbie with these coins but learning fast. At the risk of exemplifying the cliché "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people" I gotta ask... 2's... plural... as in 1822? Doesn't this pre-date the series?

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I believe it means that they recycled punches used to make the hub/dies and recut them from a 2 to a 3. The overdate variety being 1833/2 not 1833/22.

vintagemintage likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

I have a book that list everything going on with this coin .
    If you want me to post the info, I can .
    Just let me know .

8. Rick Stachowski

upload_2018-5-5_7-37-20.jpeg upload_2018-5-5_7-37-47.jpeg

9. GUSTAVO LARRANAGA

GUSTAVO LARRANAGA New Member

it certainly seems like an over date to me; you can also see the die clash on the reverse affecting the eagle and the legend and obverse in the rays; but not in the legend; I have no idea why heritage would go against NGC's over date designation.

10. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

The reason Heritage put that disclaimer in is that 3's in the early Zacatecas pieces have a line connecting the middle to the bottom, as can be seen in the first 3 in your example. Having said that, your second 3 does appear to be an over-date, so congrats! Not a huge premium, but still a neat variety.

Personally, the pre-1842 Zacatecas eagles are my favorite. One of these days I'm going to find a fully struck one :)

Numismat and vintagemintage like this.
  11. This pice is a 1833/2 OM. I think the book of D&P is an excelent book, but old in our days. The acompaning notes in the yellow envelope refers to the value of the coin before was sent to NGC.: 45x is the same of 45 dls. in xf condition.

Numismat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted