Knowing your coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 5dollarEdunote, Jan 20, 2011.

1. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Hello collectors,

Me and my friend are both coin collectors, and at the moment we are having a stupid little disagreement. It all started when I asked if he knew who designed the Jefferson nickel. He said no, and went on to tell me that he thinks that kind of thing (ex. history of the coin coin designer, wear points, etc.) is not important unless you actually have a profession in numismatics. From then on out we would have mini-debates. I beleived that in order to have a well-rounded coin collection, you should not only have a good lot of coins, but good knowledge about them too. After all, for example, wouldn't it be weird if a person spent a good amount of cash on a 1909 S VDB and didn't know whose initials the VDB was for?

I would like to get your input on this subject, as I know there are many experienced members here.

Thank you! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Well Felix Schlag designed the Jefferson nickel. You should know who designed the V.D.B. because it's important, but if you were gonna buy another coin where the designer did not mean as much as in the Lincoln Cent series you shouldn't worry.

4. Welcome to CT! IMO, the more knowledge one has as a collector the better. TC

5. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

+1111

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think it depends on the level you're at in your collecting. When we first start out most of us (me?) were only interested in filling holes in folders and albums. As time progresses and we begin to specialize a bit, we (I) find that we want to learn a bit more about that series and the people who were involved with it. It's not all about academics, but if you stick with your collecting long enough you're gonna find that you're gonna want to learn everything you can about that particular coin and the designer and the people involved with the series. It ain't "school", it's way more fun than school...... Learning about something that you love and truly appreciate.......

7. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I certainly believe that coins being shiny and/or eye appealing is the color of the fruit that first attracts us all, than the meat of the fruit is the knowledge of the coins that than sustains our appetite for more of them and long term interest.
    I would further agree that if a designer played a key role in the reason why several coins are worth a lot more than others minted in that type, than it is important to know, where as I personally could care less who designed every coin I own and love. ;)

P.S. I love and collect World Coins, so it would take me a lifetime to learn all the designers of the types of coins that I collect... ROTFL

8. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

Tough to get an answer that doesn't side with your argument on a coin-collecting forum... a nexus of informational exchange ;)

I'm of your mentality, but then again, I didn't know it was Schlag who designed the nickel :eek: ... so perhaps I don't practice what I preach; I agree with you quite strongly, and therefore believe I should perhaps brush up on some of the less impertinent information regarding coin history myself!

I can vouch for your use of the collective; you've described quite well how I too have progressed, and undoubtedly many others.

9. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

From what the OP said, I have to agree on what he said is correct. At first (like green18 said) you are interested at collecting a certain series, filling wholes etc.... Eventually, you want to learn more because as you handle and look at them up close, you develop a deeper curiosity towards them and become more knowledgeable with them. As time goes by, you learn so much that you start getting into larger series and better quality coins.

It's ok if you're friend doesn't always agree with you. In this hobby, no everyone will always agree or disagree and it is part of the fun in learning about them. There are many collectors and non collectors like Doug, Lehigh96, Jim and many other collectors who have good debates on here because they are knowledgeable. However, they weren't just born with that knowledge. They have learned just like you're starting I would think.

Stay around long enough and you'll see how much you can impress your friend then ;)

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I don't think it is necessary to have knowledge about the history of coins or the artists who designed them in order to enjoy coin collecting. However, I do believe that the level of enjoyment of this great hobby is enhanced greatly when you include the historical aspect of collecting. And how many collectors like your friend see a modern Jefferson Nickel minted after 1966 and see the initials FS below Jefferson's bust and wonder, what do they mean.

[​IMG]

Then they find out that the initials stand for the name Felix Schlag, the artist who designed the Jefferson Nickel. And maybe for some collectors like your friend, that information is enough. But if they were to dig just a little bit deeper, they would find that Schlag was not a mint engraver, he was not even a commissioned artist, he was the winner of a national competition to design the new nickel. Below is the start of the contest announcement.

National Competition for New Design for Five Cent Coin
    Open to All American Sculptors

The Treasury Department, Procurement Division, Section of Painting and Sculpture invites competition for designs for a new five cent coin to be known as the "Jefferson Nickel." This competition is open to all American sculptors.

The competition requirements are that a sculptor entering the competition must submit two plaster models, one representing the obverse and one the reverse of the coin.

The sum of $1,000 is to be paid to the winner. The sculptor whose designs win the competition will be required to execute a formal contract with the Treasury Department, agreeing to make any revisions required by the Secretary of the Treasury.

All designs wil be judged by the following Advisory Committee who have kindly consented to act with the Section of Painting and Sculpture in judging the competition:

Mrs. Nellie Tayloe Ross, Director of the Mint...

And your friend would also not know that Schlag was forced to completely redesign the reverse of his winning design. I don't have a photo of the original design, but I hope someone else will come by and post one.

Everytime I see a high grade Jefferson Nickel in all of it's glory, I wonder how the coin would have looked with the original reverse. I wonder what Schlag would have thought about me paying more for this nickel than he was awarded for his design.

[​IMG]

Your friend just sees another pretty nickel. It is his loss, but then again, ignorance is bliss.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

11. cubenewb

You inspired me... IS THIS SERIOUSLY HIS ORIGINAL!?!?

1938-jeff-rev.jpg

Very interesting! Here's my source so feel free to check it in case I stumbled upon false information:

http://www.carlscoins.com/Jeffs.htm

12. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

I know what I know and what I don't know I look up. Thank you R.S. Yeoman for all your work.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

14. cubenewb

Huh... it's so foreign... the trees look kind of palm-ish....

I think I prefer the current design but that's likely due to my lifelong exposure to that design.

15. wazzappenning

wazzappenning Member

the more knowledge you have the better,(not just in coins, but in just about everything else too). then you can talk to people and sound like you know what you are talking about. when i first got on here all i wanted to know is how much my coins were worth, (to see if they were worth keeping or not); but the more you learn... now there are coins i want but know arent worth anything, just cause i find them very interesting.

16. chridular

chridular Member

I agree with TC. It's always much better IMO to be able to show a coin or an entire collection to someone and actually have a story to tell regarding the history of the coin and/or the designer. That is what I'm striving for anyway.

17. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Depends on what you enjoy. If you like history, like myself, then knowing all you can about coins, or any subject will probably work for you. But, one can enjoy collecting just as much by simply collecting. After all, we can all sit down and enjoy a football game without knowing who invented the game and when and where, and all the intricate ins and outs. It's an enjoyable game on it's own.
    Guy

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's because they are palm trees. Believe it or not some species of palm trees grow all over Washington DC and surrounding areas.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes that was his design. What is interesting is the mint made him change his design into the one we are familiar with, and it happens to be almost identical to one of the losing designs.

20. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

What about 'Goodacre' Sacagaweas, which draw a premium? 'Morgan' Dollars, 'Barber' Coins of all types? I firmly disagree. It may not be a part of the hobby you focus on, but that does not mean it isn't a vital part of the hobby.

Draft saved Draft deleted