Knock, knock. Guess Who?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, Feb 21, 2018.

1. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

It's a pile o' provincials of Septimius Severus! I've taken to grouping these together so hopefully some folks will still read these posts lol.

I was able to find some pretty cool coins at what I felt were fair prices. I could be way off but considering how much these can sell for at auction, I do feel like I did okay. But then again, it would not be the first time that I am wrong about these.

On a side note, the large issues, 26-27mm, from Markianopolis I have seen noted as 'tetrassarion' or 'pentassarion' but with no real consistency. I was wondering if anyone had any information about what they were called in ancient times. I know with some issues, even the later Roman bronzes of the empire, we aren't really sure of what they were called. The nomenclature change does throw me off and frankly irritates me. AE3, nummus, follis, maiorina, I really am confused as to which terms are the most appropriate. I am sure I am dipping my toes into a much larger debate than can fit in this thread, but still, help is welcome.

On to some bronze!

This first coin is the smallest and also was sold as unattributed. Once I was able to make out Pergamon on the reverse, I bought it for the cool Asklepios reverse. Once I bought it, I read up on the demigod Asklepios (who was possibly elevated to full godliness by Zeus to appease Apollo [Asklepios' father] after Zeus had killed Asklepios for using his healing powers to raise the dead for money; forget it, it's too long to explain, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepius. The staff of Asklepios also has some interesting backstory. It is thought to be considered a medicinal tool because of the treatment for the Guinea worm disease, otherwise known as dracunculiasis, according to one theory. Read up on this fun stuff here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracunculiasis. Also, for the love of God, do not drink the water.

6049 6050.jpg

Septimius Severus, AE17, ΠεΡΓΑ ΜΗΝΩΝΒ
    AE17
    Roman Provincial
    Pergamon, Mysia
    Septimius Severus
    Augustus: 193 - 211AD
    17.0mm 2.80gr 6h
    O: AVP KAI CεΒΗΡΟC; Laureate head, right.
    R: ΠεΡΓΑ ΜΗΝΩΝΒ; Asklepios, in himation, standing facing, head left, holding serpent entwined staff.
    SNG France 2203; Voegtli FvP 33, 393; SNG BN 2195, var. (reverse legend); SNG Cop 496; BMC 310.
    failla_numismatics_inc/Jason & Bob Failla 332515533842
    2/5/18 2/20/18

I am also very interested in adding these large bronzes of Septimius to my collection. They are fun to hold and there is lots of room for crazy long legends. It is frustrating when the legends are partially obscured or damaged of course, but I like to drive myself bananas apparently.

6047 6048.jpg

Septimius Severus, AE27, ΟVΛΠΑΙΝΩΝ ΑΓΧΙΑΛΕΩΝ
    AE27
    Roman Provincial
    Anchialus, Thrace
    Septimius Severus
    27.0mm 8.20gr 0h
    O: AV K Λ CεΠΤ CεVΗΡΟC; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    R: ΟVΛΠΑΙΝΩΝ ΑΓΧΙΑΛΕΩΝ; Septimius Severus, on horse, leaping right, holding spear.
    AMNG I 476; Moushmov 2814; Varbanov 232.
    treewalk123/John Tucker 132497115357
    2/8/18 2/20/18

Finally, you can never have too many eagles of Markianopolis so why not add another? I did not have an AE27 with eagle left of Faustinianus. The seller thought this was an issue under Ulpian but after examination, it is clear to me that it is Faustinianus.

6064 6065-1.jpg

Septimius Severus, AE27, VI φΑνCTINIANOY MAΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛITΩN
    AE27
    Roman Provincial
    Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior
    Consular Legate: Julius Faustinianus
    Septimius Severus
    Issued: 207 - 210AD
    27.0mm 10.8gr 2h
    O: AY Λ CεΠΤΙ CεΥΗΡΟC Π; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right, seen from behind.
    R: VI φΑνCTINIANOY MAΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛITΩN; Eagle standing facing on thunderbolt, head left, wreath in its beak.
    AMNG I 576, var. (obverse legend); SNG Copenhagen 270; SNG Budapest 71; Varbanov 770, var. (obverse legend); BMC 8.
    treewalk123/John Tucker 132497106103
    2/9/18 2/20/18

Of course, here is the Septimius Severus collection as it stands today:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6295

Share anything you would like of Pergamon, Markianopolis or of our old pal, SSev!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Phrygia Apameia.jpg
    APAMEIA, PHRYGIA
    AE23
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: APAME to the right, cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis standing facing, magistrate HRAKLEI EGLO to left
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    8.38g, 22mm
    SNGCop 183.1; BMC Phrygia p. 77, 48
    MYSIA Pergamon.jpg
    PERGAMON, MYSIA AE20
    OBVERSE: Bust of Athena right wearing triple crested helmet
    REVERSE: AQHNAS NIKHFOPOY, trophy of armor, PERG monogram to lower right
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    4.11g, 20mm
    SNG France 1880-2
    PERGAMON MYSIA 2.jpg
    PERGAMON MYSIA
    AE15
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Athena right
    REVERSE: Head and neck of a bull right "A" above
    Struck at Mysia, Pergamon 310-283 BC
    3.09g, 15mm
    SNG France 1571.
    Ex Malloy Auction LXVII,93
    Ex Aegean Numismatics
    Septimius Severus 20.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE27
    OBVERSE: AV K L CEPTI CEVHROC P, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: U FL OULPIANOU MARKIANOPOLITWN, Apollo standing facing, head right, bow in left hand, right hand over head, serpent-entwined tree before, altar or statue to left
    Struck at Markianopolis, Moesia, 145-211 AD
    12.5g, 27mm
    Varbanov 824
    Macrinus 4.jpg
    MACRINUS
    Pentassarion AE28
    OBVERSE: AVT K OPEL CEVH MAKREINOC K M OPEL ANTWNEINOC - confronted busts
    REVERSE: VP PONTIAN-OV MARKIANO/ POLIT, Coiled serpent with radiate head
    Struck at Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior, Magistrate Pontianus; 217 - 218 AD
    12.6g, 28mm
    Hr & J (2012) 6.24.22.6

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

You are on a COIN ROLL @nicholasz219 !

PERGAMON:
    Mysia Pergamon Cistophorus Tetradrachm Cista mystica with serpents - snakes KP 85-76 BCE.JPG
    Mysia Pergamon Cistophorus Tetradrachm Cista mystica with serpents - snakes KP 85-76 BCE

MARKIANOPOLIS:
    RI Didumenian and Macrinus 217-218 CE AE28 Markianopolis mint Serapis.jpg
    RI Didumenian and Macrinus 217-218 CE AE28 Markianopolis mint Serapis

SEPTIMUS SEVERUS:
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing.jpg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice Severus provincials, Nic.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice provincials, especially like your Anchialus, with Sev on horseback. I had a look at your Forum collection of S/Severus some great coins in that lot congrats.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  7. nicholasz219

@Alegandron Very nice coins, especially the Pergamon and Markianopolis!

@Bing What a nice group of coins! Especially the Markianopolis, but I am partial as you know.

Bing and Alegandron like this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Here's a couple of my Marcianopolis provincials. 338_large_fb558f62c103225261f67857ae5b6461.jpeg
    Geta, Caracalla, Julia Domna and Septimius Severus on top triumphal arch. 2015-01-07 01.07.44-8.jpg
    Macrinus and Diadumenian, triumphal arch.

9. nicholasz219

@Ancient Aussie Those are pretty fabulous provincials. I have run across a couple of the confronted Domna/Severus or Domna/Caracalla issues as well as the arches but they have always been just expensive enough to kill an impulse buy. Now I am looking seriously to add them.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Sorry nicholasz219 you had a query on the Pentassarion to the best of my understanding, a number of places used the Greek form assarion for the coin they regarded as a unit. The unit might vary from one community to another. In any case, two assaria, a dyassarion, would be the double, a triassarion the triple, a tetrassarion the quadruple, four assaria, and, finally, a pentassarion the quintuple, five assaria. They are not by weight in the coinages for which we habitually use them. For example, at Marcianopolis, the one issue marked [​IMG] and so a triassarion, is always lighter and smaller than the tetrassaria and larger than the coppers but they vary by as much as three grams among themselves. Further, the pentassaria of Marcianopolis are in many cases no heavier than the tetrassaria, and the tetrassaria of Nicopolis are routinely slightly heavier than the marked pentassaria of Marcianopolis.

11. nicholasz219

@Ancient Aussie Thanks for taking the time to respond. Did you read that info or is that info from dealing with a lot of provincials. I sure would like to get a better idea of how to name these. You mentioned that the triassarion would have a gamma for three on the coin. Can you tell me where?

12. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, now and again you see the Domna/Caracalla arch at a reasonable price depending what quality you are happy with, I see them more in Numismatik Nauman auctions than any of the others.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

I read that somewhere years ago and copied it down for latter reference and found it to be reasonably accurate, from memory it can be either side usually on the reverse. With the Pentassarion the E is usually on the left side of the reverse.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    nicholasz219 likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That mounted SS reverse from Thrace is pretty darn cool @nicholasz219 !

nicholasz219 likes this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's my Sep Sev/Domna from Marcianopolis with Є for pentassarion on the reverse. The Varbanov coin for this type has it in retrograde.

2682606l Sep Sev Domna.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS with JULIA DOMNA
    AE Pentassarion. 11.8g, 27.1mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis, circa AD 210-211. Flavius Ulpianus, legatus consularis. Varbanov 850 var. (Э on reverse). O: AV K Λ CЄΠ CЄVHPOC IOVΛIA ΔOMNA CЄ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Septimius Severus right, facing draped bust of Julia Domna left. R: [V+Λ OV]ΛΠIANOV MAPKIANOΠ[OΛ], Apollo standing facing, head right, with hand on head and holding bow; quiver at feet to left, serpent coiled round tree stump to right, Є in left field.

chrsmat71, Alegandron, TIF and 4 others like this.
  16. Ancient Aussie

They are beautiful portraits.

nicholasz219 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted