KNIGHTS TEMPLAR COIN...TWO RIDERS?..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Aug 14, 2018.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

I bought this coin the other day convinced it showed two riders on one side...i got it today and i can STILL see them... two helmeted heads and two shields...ring in a tell me what you think and help me ID the coin..am i seeing right..or am i seeing things..:rolleyes:

POST YOUR COINS & COMMENTS PEEPS!:) Poor Knights of Jesus Christ coin 001.JPG Poor Knights of Jesus Christ coin 002.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

All I see is Rorschach...........

ominus1 and Jwt708 like this.
  4. ominus1

hehe... i'm gonna bite...what's that?...

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Size? Weight? I can’t say I see the Templar symbol (did they even mint coins? I don’t know...). The inscription doesn’t make sense to me. Is it perhaps Armenian? Twist the bottom one 90 degrees clockwise, and I can see an enthroned figure. (Heavily worn coins are always tough...)

ominus1 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

[​IMG]

7. green18

It's kind of like looking at Cumulonimbus clouds, while laying on your back looking at the sky, and imagining things.....

ominus1 likes this.
  8. green18

Bloody freakin' Bat..........

ominus1 and Kentucky like this.
  9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I have no idea what it is, but it certainly isn't a coin of the Knights Templar. None of the monastic military orders produced coinage in Outremer. By the time the Knights Hospitaler minted coins in 1330, while on Rhodes, the Templars had already been disbanded by the Pope.

I'm going to assume that the cross on the "obverse" legend indicates its from a Christian principality, kingdom, republic, etc. I think FitzNigel made a great suggestion with Armenia. Weight and diameter could really help.

ominus1 likes this.
  10. ominus1

ok..i haven't measured or weighed it yet and i'll 90 clock the bottom..it was sold as a "Crusade Cross Templars' coin.. i just inferred the rest myself...:)

11. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Google it.

12. ominus1

it's 19-20 mm at 2.39gms...

13. ominus1

...i see a front view of a skeletal bottom 9_9...

14. ominus1

bat country.jpg

Kentucky and Ryro like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh man, If @FritzNigel doesn't know what it is, it is going to be difficult to ID!

ominus1 likes this.
  16. ominus1

indeed...

17. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Agree with the suggestion of Armenia. But when you turn the lower coin 90 degrees clockwise i think it displays the king on horseback facing right.
    Most likely this is a Takvorin of Levon IV. These are well known overstruck in Arab by the Mamluks. There's a nice review on these by P. Bedoukian here: http://rbedrosian.com/Bedoukian/Bedoukian_1969_Overstruck.pdf

ominus1 likes this.
  18. ominus1

O kool, thanks! :)

19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I wouldn’t put that much faith in me... i’m Clueless about a lot of German Coins

Unfortunatly I can’t open the link, but this would certainly explain why there looks to be Arabic writing in the middle of the top coin (if it is rotated 90 degrees). That was confusing the heck out of me, amd I just took it to be a really worn coin...

ominus1 likes this.
  20. ominus1

you too was helpful Fritz and i thank you for your input..it's really an interesting link and coin now i have a better idea of what it is..thanks again :)

21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Can't really see anything on this coin other than an unidentifiable script ( to me ) but it still is a cool coin.

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted