Kings of Thrace, Lysimachus, Lampsakos AR Tetradrachm is chunky

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Two big pieces of ancient silver have joined the collection. Here is the first one:

Lysimachus 1 Obv.jpg Lysimachus 1 Rev.jpg

Kings of Thrace, Lysimachus, Lampsakos
    AR Tetradrachm
    297-281 BC

16.77 grams, 29 mm
    Obv: Deified head of Alexander III the Great right w/ horn of Ammon
    Rev: Athena seated left with Nike in right hand & left arm on shield
    , Torch, monogram in left field.
    Grade: VF+ nicely centered & toned.
    Other: This coin depicts a very high relief true portrait of Alexander the Great as issued by Lysimachus. Thompson, Lysimachus, 50; Müller, Lysimacus, 91. From NGC slab 3599374-007, Lot #776 Sedwick Auction #14 October 2013.

vlaha, chrsmat71, Eng and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It's chunky (thick) and not very stackable.
    Lysimachus Chuncky 1.jpg

Lysimachus 3 Side.jpg

Ancientnoob, vlaha, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Big and beautiful. Love dem hefty coins.

Collect89 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yeeehaaa => that's one sweet pick-up, Collect89 (man, I love those babies!!)

... congrats!!

Man, I can hardly wait to see the second coin!!

Ancientnoob and Collect89 like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I feel your pain bro. Squeezing those things into your tube of Thracian tetradrachms is a b----.

Ancientnoob, vlaha, Collect89 and 3 others like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins! I love lysimachus tets like that

Collect89 likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sure wish I could go back in time and watch them make these. The relief is incredible on these coins. Yours even looks like it is undercut around some of the curls-- but that can't be! If so, the flan would get stuck (interlocked) in the die. I imagine that happened many times as the engraver fine-tuned these deeply cut and richly detailed dies.

Ancientnoob, randygeki and Collect89 like this.
  9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow C89, this is a true beautie, awesome coin...:)

Collect89 likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovely. I would love to own more big greek silvers but cost and not knowing if its real or not keep me away from them. I am lucky to have the one I have and its low grade.

Collect89 likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that is one sexy coin......

[​IMG]

randygeki, Collect89 and stevex6 like this.
  12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This one arrived in an NGC slab so some expert eyes had perused & approved of the coin before I got my hands on it.

Lysimachus Slab.jpg BTW, hindsight is always 20-20. The slab was one of the fat-boy slabs with an additional insert both in front & behind the coin. This kept the high points of the design protected from contact. Perhaps I should have left this one in its slab for that protection.

randygeki likes this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

IMG_6094.jpg Thanks to everyone for the coin complements & for letting me share my new coin.

I construct the coin label using Word & simply print hardcopy in a 2” x 4” format. However, when this text was pasted in the opening post, all the Greek letters were changed to English letters. Does this happen to anyone else at CT?

Since I couldn’t get CoinTalk to display the Greek letters, I just deleted them in the OP. Here is how the label is actually printed. I appreciate your comments

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

You're entering the characters in word using a font. To have theme appear on here, you need to use the actual Unicode characters. These can be found on a Mac in the Character Palette and in Windows in the Character Map. I also copied and pasted most of the relevant ones into a Cointalk thread a while back.

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thank you. I was just successful posting a new thread & my Greek characters appeared properly at CT this time. :) However, I couldn't find the backwards P (number 90 in the Grypos SE 197 date). Do you have a backwards capital P that I could use for future copy & paste?

16. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Unfortunately, there is no retrograde P in the Unicode character set. There is a И under the Cyrillic characters. And a lunate epsiolon - Є - from I'm not sure where. I always copy and paste that one.

Collect89 likes this.
  17. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

These double-thick slabs are indeed very helpful - there aren't many other great ways of storing very thick coins. I'm working with someone who may be able to make custom acrylic holders with an extended thickness. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Draft saved Draft deleted