Kings of Kappadokia - attribution problems

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by eparch, Jun 10, 2020.

1. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

I recently acquired this drachm of Kappadokia :
    upload_2020-6-10_10-18-53.png

I thought it was one of the large and common issue of Ariarathes V
    - HGC 7 811

However, the seller listed it as Ariarathes IV,
    Simonetta, Coins 16a; Simonetta 24a.

1. Does anyone have a copy of Simonetta to check this ?

2. Has Simonetta been superceded by more recent scholarship ? I note that in HGC 7 Hoover states that the coinage attributed to Ariarathes V has sometimes been given to Arirarathes IV in error.

3. Hoover also states that although the coins carry a Greek letter-numeral in the exergue, die studies suggest that these are not likely to be dates calculated according to the regnal years of the king. Despite this, he still
    uses them as regnal dates in his catalogue.

Can anyone throw any light on all of this ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

There was an acrimonious battle between Simonetta and Otto Morkholm in the Numismatic Chronicle in a ding-dong battle stemming from 1962 to 1979-Morkholm died in the early 80's. The upshot was generally Morkholm was right, Simonetta wrong-his attributions were off, so that his book on Cappadocian coinage re-attributions are needed. If you have access to JSTOR you might be able to download the battle.
    Yes some exegual "numbers" are not so but most are!
    Who wrote the last write-up I don't know.

4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I have recently encountered the exact same problem, eparch. Ariarathes IV or V (and thanks for the debate info, NewStyleKing).

Below is my new Cappadocian drachm with my attribution muddle noted:

Cappadocia - Ariarathes IV drachm May 2020 (0).jpg

Cappadocia Drachm
    Ariarathes IV Eusebes
    Year 33 (187-186 B.C.)
    Eusebeia-Tyana Mint

Diademed head right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ APIAPAΘOY EYΣEBOYΣ Athena standing l., holding Nike, T & monogram in left field, Δ in right field; date (ΓΛ) in exergue.
    Simonetta 16a.
    (4.11 grams / 17 mm )

Attribution Note:

Online, this issue is attributed to both Ariarathes IV Eusebes and Ariarathes V Philopater (this specimen sold as Ar. V on eBay). See Wildwinds for both rulers
    with same Year 33 date.

Since reverse legend reads

EYΣEBOYΣ, I went with IV

Theodosius, Sulla80, Edessa and 4 others like this.
  5. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

From NC 1979-just to give you a taste

In 1961 Bono Simonetta published a list of Cappadocian coins in this periodical (NC 1961, 9-25). A long and acrimonious controversy has followed between him and me concerning the attribution of various issues to the different Cappadocian kings of the name Ariarathes. In 1977 Simonetta has restated his case in a book which I have been asked to review.1 The task is necessary, but not altogether pleasant. Simonetta has hardly moved an inch from his positions of 16 years ago, and I am just as convinced of the strength of my arguments as when I first put them forward. Sixteen years and fifteen papers later nothing has really changed! The utter futility of the situation is overwhelming (see Bibliography below, p. 244)

Theodosius, Sulla80, Edessa and 2 others like this.
  6. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

@NewStyleKing - thanks for the explanation of the academic situation.
    I think I can live without searching for these papers !

7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Although this thread is old - I am reviving to provide a link to the notes and references that I organized on this epic battle. Although the date looks a bit distorted/worn? in the OP coin, I think it is the same as my coin :
    Ariarathes V Coin1.jpg
    Kings of cappadocia, Ariarathes V Eusebes Philopator, circa 163-130 BC, AR Drachm, dated CY 33 (130 BC)
    Obv: Diademed head right
    Rev: Athena standing left, holding Nike, spear, and shield; T to outer left, monogram to inner left, Δ to outer right, ΓΛ (date) in exergue
    Ref: Simonetta (Ariarathes IV) 15a Simonetta, B. (1961)
    upload_2020-10-31_21-12-51.png
    In Typos II Simonetta 1977 it is called Ariarathes IV 16a p.24

The mapping from Simonetta to Mørkholm is given in the 1979 article (Mørkholm, O. (1979). The Cappadocians Again with the Mørkholm 1969 article for the original citation)
    upload_2020-10-31_21-27-29.png

There is a question about the dates - which do seem correlate with regnal years for Ariarathes V at least. The question is why so many dies use the date (ΓΛ). Mørkholm speculates that there might be a combination of :
    1) a large issue in the last year of reign as Ariarathes V raised an army to aid the Romans against Aristonicus of Pergamon AND
    2) more speculatively, a possibility for coins issued during the regency of Nysa (she killed 5/6 male heirs to retain control), she may have used this date (ΓΛ) on issues over four or five years 131-127 BC.

More references and information on this in my Notes on Ancients Coins.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

CAPPADOCIAN KINGDOM Ariarathes V.jpg
    CAPPADOCIAN KINGDOM: Ariarathes V
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Ariarathes V right
    REVERSE: Athena standing left, holding Nike & resting hand on grounded shield, HDI monogram in outer left field, PAFI monogram in inner left field, HF monogram in outer right field, date GL in exergue
    Struck at Cappadocia, Year 33 (= 130 BC)
    4.2g, 18mm
    SNG Copenhagen Suppl. 673–678. Simonetta p. 24, 20b

Curtisimo, Theodosius, Edessa and 3 others like this.
  9. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Sulla80 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted