Kings’s Day

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsman, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

King’s Day may well be the best party in The Netherlands. Today, we celebrate King Willem Alexander’s 53th birthday. In normal times, this is with music, street parties, flea markets, and fun fairs. This year everything is different due to Corona :(

So instead of partying today I decided to go through my collection and post one of my kings. It has become King Aretas III kneeling for Roman supremacy. It’s a fascinating coin, with a touch of Petra, that beautiful ancient city in Jordan.

Please bring on your kings on King’s Day :)

41C8AA95-C8DC-43E7-A5D4-EC43AD0CE02B.png

Aretas
    Aretas, denarius
    M. Aemilius Scaurus & Pub. Plautius Hypsaeus. 58 BC.
    19mm, 3,99g.
    Obv. M SCAVR AED CVR EX S C; King Aretas III of Nabatea kneeling beside camel in an attitude of supplication, holding olive-branch.
    Rev. P HVPSAEVS AED CVR CAPTV C HVPSAE COS PREIVER; Jupiter in quadriga left, holding thunderbolt.
    Cr422/1a

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I love that coin, one that I have on my wachlist.......umm kings I am a bit light on except this more modern type. Temple Janus 1681.jpg
    LOUIS XIV - Alsace Propaganda jeton struck in 1681 to celebrate the surrender of Strasbourg. On reverse: the temple of Janus, closed, to mean it is now peace time. Legends LOUIS LE GRAND ROY DE FRANCE IEN AY LA CLEF (='j'en ai la clé', i.e. I keep its key)

Theodosius, octavius, Ryro and 15 others like this.
  4. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

This is my oldest "king coin:"

Persion Siglos.png
    Great Kings of Persia. Xerxes II or Darios II. AR Siglos. 485-420 BC. Persian king kneeling-running right, holding spear and bow. / Incuse punch. Three banker's marks on obverse.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  5. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Marsman.....Beautiful coin!.......
    King Orodes III King of the Parthian Empire...
    OROD.jpg
    Orodes III, 2nd Century A.D., AE Drachm 3.5 grams
    Obv: Bearded bust facing left, wearing a diademed tiara ornamented with anchor. Pellet and crescent above an anchor to the right.
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Artemis right. Greek legend around bust retrograde
    van't Haaff 16.1.1-3A

svessien, octavius, Ryro and 12 others like this.
  6. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Hoezee voor de koning! Helaas geen vrijmarkt om met de kinderen over struinen. Gelukkig kunnen we nog wel de oranje tompouce eten.

No coins of a King. In the eyes of his assassins Caesar behaved like a king. So perhaps it is fitting to show a coin with his portrait.
    Julius Caesar portrait.png

Attached Files:

7. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Als geïntegreerde Griek, vier ik ook koningsdag. Inderdaad helaas alleen oranje tompouce vandaag.

I was looking for a coin with a portrait featuring a beard, since that's the new style of the king I guess. But I couldn't found one so just a coin with one of my favourite portait with also the name "Alexander", just without the Willem :)

[​IMG]
    Alexander II Zabinas (128 B.C. - 122 B.C.) AR Drachm.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Zabinas right
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, Athena standing left, resting hand on shield, spear propped in left elbow, extending right hand beyond legend and holding Nike left, in left field Δ, monogram above.
    Reference: SC 2222a; HGC 9, 1155.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

KING PHILIP II MAKEDONWN

upload_2020-4-27_5-22-36.png
    Kingdom of Makedon
    Philip II 382-336 BCE (Reign 359-336 BCE)
    AR Tetradrachm.
    Mint: Pella, lifetime issue, struck circa 353-349 BC.
    25 mm. 14.4 g
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ,
    Rev: Philip on horseback left, wearing kausia and raising right hand; spearhead below, star below horse's raised foreleg.
    Le Rider 102 (D58/R82); SNG ANS 357

9. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Fijne koningsdag iedereen!

Since I only own Roman imperial coins, I don't have real kings. Only someone who was rumored to become king over the east.

This aroused the suspicion that he had tried to revolt from his father and make himself king of the East; and he strengthened this suspicion on his way to Alexandria by wearing a diadem at the consecration of the bull Apis in Memphis, an act quite in accord with the usual ceremonial of that ancient religion, but unfavourably interpreted by some.

Suetonius, life of Titus (5,3)

[​IMG]

T CAESAR IMP VESPASIAN
    laureate head right
    COS V
    bull standing right

Titus Caesar 69-79
    AR Denarius
    Struck 76 AD
    2,77g/18mm
    Ric 858 (Vespasian) (R)

octavius, Ryro, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

In case people wonder, what is a tompouce:
    20200427_121527.jpg
    It's really good!

octavius, Ryro and ominus1 like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is the less common but less popular of the two versions of this coin. People seem to prefer the ones with the crayfish and legend REX ARETAS under the camel on the obverse. Either is interesting as an example of the first (I believe) Roman coin commemorating the action of the moneyer himself (receiving the submission of Aretas) rather than an act of his ancestor. This was walking a thin line but short of putting his own image on the coin (ask Caesar how that went).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Aemilius_Scaurus_(praetor_56_BC)
    r27120fd2298.jpg

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

P1140956.JPG

the last 5 Kings of Greece , the last one, Constantine II ruled from 1964 - 1967

800px-Former_King_Constantine_&_Queen_Anne_-Marie.jpg

Broucheion, octavius, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

ACHAEMENID EMPIRE.jpg
    ACHAEMENID EMPIRE
    AR Siglos
    OBVERSE: Persian king or hero in kneeling/running stance right, holding spear and bow
    REVERSE: Incuse punch
    Struck at Persia, 485-420 BC
    5.5g, 16mm
    Carradice Type IIIb, Group A/B (pl. XII, 18)
    CAPPADOCIAN KINGDOM Ariarathes V.jpg
    CAPPADOCIAN KINGDOM: Ariarathes V
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Diademed head of Ariarathes V right
    REVERSE: Athena standing left, holding Nike & resting hand on grounded shield, HDI monogram in outer left field, PAFI monogram in inner left field, HF monogram in outer right field, date GL in exergue
    Struck at Cappadocia, Year 33 (= 130 BC)
    4.2g, 18mm
    SNG Copenhagen Suppl. 673–678. Simonetta p. 24, 20b
    KINGS of CAPPADOCIIA.png
    ARIOBARZANES I PHILOROMAIOS; KINGS of CAPPADOCIA
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Diademed head right
    REVERSE: Athena Nikephoros standing left; monogram to inner left
    Mint A (Eusebeia-Mazaka) 68-67 BC
    3.73 g, 16mm
    Simonetta, Coins 38s

NUMIDIA, MICIPSA.jpg
    KINGS OF NUMIDIA, MICIPSA
    AE27
    OBVERSE: Laureate, bearded head left
    REVERSE: Prancing horse left, pellet below
    Struck at Numidia, 118 BC
    14.4g, 27mm
    SNG Cop 505; Mazard 50; Müller 32
    Ex JAZ Numismatics

14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Well, she did have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too. . . .

Elizabeth I sixpence Obv. 1.jpg

Elizabeth I sixpence Rev. 2.jpg

England, Elizabeth I, AR Sixpence 1582. Obv. Crowned Bust left, Tudor Rose behind, all within inner circle with legend around, ELIZAB.D.G.ANG.FR.ET.HIB.REGINA [Elizabeth by the Grace of God Queen of England France and Ireland] / Rev. Quartered shield over long cross fourchée with divided date above, all within inner circle with legend around, Mintmark Sword at 12 o'clock, POSVI DEV.AD IVTORE M·MEV· [I have made God my helper] 15 - 82. Spink 2572 (ill.). 25 mm., 3.2 g.

15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

And it occurs to me that Philip III Arrhidaeus was King of Macedon:

Macedon, Alexander III (under Philip III Arrhidaeus), AR Drachm, Miletos mint, 323-319 BCE. Obv. Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress/ Rev. Zeus seated left on throne, holding long scepter in left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right hand. Price 2121, Mueller 847 (KH monogram in left field). 16 mm., 4.21 g. Purchased from Harmer Rooke Numismatists, Ltd., Feb. 21, 1986.

Alexander drachm O2.jpg

Alexander drachm R2.jpg

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..well happy konig day friends in Netherlands...:)... leopold ll token   Volusian sestertius 001.JPG leopold ll token   Volusian sestertius 002.JPG Token king (HRE) Leopold ll, Belgium

Attached Files:

17. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

First post-Roman king of Italy. Delivered the death blow to the Western Roman Empire; its collapse marks the official start of the European Middle Ages.

Odoacer, Kingdom of Italy
    AE nummus
    Obv: OD[O-VAC], bare-headed, draped bust right
    Rev: Odoacer's monogram (letters ODOVA: “Odovacar”) within wreath
    Mint: Ravenna
    Date: 476-493 AD
    Ref: RIC X 3502

[​IMG]

I have more kings that I’ll post if I have time.

18. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

19. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Hiep hiep hoera voor Willy!

Aethelred II.jpg
    ANGLO-SAXON, Æthelred II. Denomination: Penny, minted: England, Winchester, Moneyer: Ælfsige; 978-1017
    Obv: +AEDELRAED REX ANGL. Head of Aethelred II, draped, to the left.
    Rev: +AELFSIGE MO PINT. Voided Long cross without inner circle.
    Weight: 1.74g; Ø:19mm. Catalogue: Spink 1151. Provenance: Ex private collection; acq.: 05-2019

20. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Apollodotos II, 80-60 BC. Indo-Greek Kingdom of Punjab 80-60 BC Apollodotos II obv (1).JPG 80-60 BC Apollodotos II rev (1).JPG

ominus1, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  21. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Equal Time.

The Good Queen Bess -

D-Camera Elizabeth I Crown, mm 1, 1601, 5-5-20.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted