Kingdom of Kandy Massa?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Trying to identify this coin but having some trouble. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks!
    IMG_20181110_124138.jpg IMG_20181110_124148.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Yes, looks like a late Chola coin. But your second picture is upside-down.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Even in good shape it can be hard to decipher the king's name. Many dealers just call him "octopus man".

Here is a high grade example for comparison.

w334.jpg
    Sri Lanka, Polonnaruva, Sahasa Malla, 1200-2 AD, AE20, 4.17g
    Seated king, SRIMA SAHASA MALLA in Brahmi in two vertical lines in the left field
    King standing, small altar in the left field, various dots and decorations in fields. 'Octopus Man'
    Mitchiner NIS 837-839.

You can see examples of the various kings at https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=4402 maybe you will find one similar to yours.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm no student of these but don't see the legends here. I might have guessed Rajaraja Chola or any of the scores of rulers that were related to him. These are not as hard to ID in good condition but many are simply messes.
    ov7800bb2625.jpg

'Maybe' is the operative word here.

Quant.Geek and chrsmat71 like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I got one of these just to "get one of these" octopus man.

upload_2018-11-10_18-6-35.png
    Bhuvanaika Bahu CE 1273-1284 Æ Massa 3.9g 19mm King throne solar symbol altar flame lotus - King reclining sankh-conch Nagari-Sri Bhuvanaika Bahu MNI 851-52

My only other Sri Lanka coin is a bit older:
    Sri Lanka 1st C BCE PB Lead 1-8th unit Lakshmi excavated in Anuradhapura RARE.jpg
    Sri Lanka 1st C BCE PB Lead 1/8th unit Lakshmi excavated in Anuradhapura RARE

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I gave IDing the OP coin a shot, but failed, there just isn't much legend to go on there. Here are a couple "octopus king" coins I have.

Raja Raja

[​IMG]

and a queen, Lilivati.

Capture.JPG

8. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Definitely a Raja Raja Chola coin and not one of the ones from Sri Lanka. Here is a different type of Raja Raja Chola coin with a fish on the right to indicate the subjugation of the Pandyan Kindom, their emblem is the fish:

Imperial Chola: Raja Raja I (ca. 1007) AE Kasu (Biddulph-21)

Obv: King half seated, with raised arm on right; Devanagari legend beneath raised arm; श्री राजा राजा (Sri Raja Raja)
    Rev: Standing man, with lamp on left and fish on right, representing the the Pandya conquest

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted