King Tutankhamen coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spirityoda, Feb 27, 2013.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Here are my 2 proof King Tut coins from Egypt. enjoy:

cc 13 030.jpg cc 13 031.jpg cc 13 032.jpg cc 13 033.jpg

I love the King Tut coins from Egypt. I will eventually get the 2 gold coin ones. the smaller 1 is possible... the bigger 1 will have to wait for a while lol. :scratch::jumping-jack:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

I don't have Gold King Tut but i have the Cleopatra coin set. They are nice coins but prone to red spots and rarely sell for over the spot price.

5. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

It's interesting to note that at the time King Tut was on the throne, coins had not yet been invented.

It's worth pondering what that meant to commerce. How did people do business without coinage ? How did it change commerce when coins were finally invented and widely accepted ? How did the invention of coinage come about, and who did it ? How did that impact their society, and societies around them ?

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've thought on this myself. With all the ancient Egyptians invented, it's a wonder coinage didn't occur to them.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

King Tut ruled 1332 BC – 1323 BC nearly a thousand years before coinage would take hold in Egypt. Many people asked the question as to why the ancient Egyptians did not use coinage. I think the best answer is that during this time Egypt was ruled as a Communist Absolute monarchy. Where all necessities needed to live a comfortable life was provided by the state under the good graces of the Pharaoh and the abundance of the Nile floods.

There is record that the Egyptians did exchange goods with the Phoenicians (5 or so loosely confederated cities in modern Lebanon.) This came as an exchange of Wheat and flax from Eygpt for wood and dye from the Levant from about the 2 millennium BC.

Check out the last Pharoh....he had a coin....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectanebo_II

Then you see a vast series of coinage from Egypt being ruled by everyone else until the 20th century AD.

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted