King George III UK Half penny?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dougmeister, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

My son had this in his collection and we can't remember where he got it.

Am I correct in the attribution?

Can anyone make out the year? 1807 I think?

No chance that it is from the 1700's, correct?

(I know the reverse is a total loss, but I thought I'd post it just in case...) 20170620_091525-1.jpg 20170620_091541-1.jpg

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, it's an 1807 halfpenny.

Interestingly, it looks as though it once had some kind of love token engraving done to the reverse, which got heavily worn when that was likely someone's pocket piece. This type was often used as a host for love token carvings and counterstamps.

That's a two-year type, struck in 1806 and 1807. The 1807 is, I believe, a little bit scarcer than the 1806 overall.

But not scarcer than MY 1806. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry, that's one of my top three favorite pieces, so I never pass up a chance to repost it. It is a special gilt proof presentation piece and at one time the finest graded. There has since been a PR67 DCAM graded by PCGS, which must be absolutely gobsmacking. Mine is more stunning in hand than the photos.)

But anyway, that'll be quite enough of me tooting my own horn. Back to your son's coin. Catalog on it is only four bucks in Fine, so the OP coin is worth only about a buck, in monetary terms, but hey... 200 year old copper is fun in any condition. I fondly remember buying my first one of these for five bucks, when I was a 15-year-old kid.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Dougmeister likes this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Thanks! Cool info... and "George-ous" coin!

<sorry for the pun.. couldn't resist>

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted