Kind of confused about my new coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by thepersonman, Jul 15, 2015.

1. thepersonman

thepersonman collecter of coins

I recently acquired an AU 1899 liberty nickel. Then upon some closer examination I noticed that each star had its own little area of darker toning around it and so did the face. Is this a normal occurance or something else? I'm sorry if the pictures turned out not so great, I was using my phone with a loupe on the camera.

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

That looks like natural toning to me. The nooks and crannies tend to gather more gunk and I would expect there to be more reaction with the metal in those areas.

I will let the pros get more detailed (or correct me if I'm wrong) but my guess is that it would be expected on an AU coin. And it's very pretty!

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I like it. Not too dark so it adds to the coin.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Nothing to worry about there, looks very nice.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks fine to me , as the areas around the devices are usually the 1st area to tone .

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sort of looks like a copper wash nickel. Can you give us a shot without the scope? What's that curl above the head? And a good shot of the date could be a rpd

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not to worry..........

9. thepersonman

No it is not copper wash. Doubtful its an rpd and I don't about a curl. Here are some pics. The photos turn out too blurry without a scope. IMG_20150715_195044464_HDR (1).jpg IMG_20150715_195055302.jpg

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Again, not to worry.......

11. Paddy54

It's an 1899/8 a 36A.1 the initial logo punch was dated 18 98 then repunched an 1899. The lower loop of the 8 can be seen on the lower loop of the 9. A Breen 2564 variety type OVD R-7 cross reference FS#5c-014.5
    BTW it's a late die state of this variety

12. Paddy54

Also there's a clash between stars 8 and 9 at the top of the head.

YOUR WELCOME

13. thepersonman

I do not see the die clash.

14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Wrong answer

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

edited - be nice

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sorry, but I see cleaned, and AT

17. thepersonman

Thank you to everyone for their input.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's cleaned and RT (Re-Toned ;)).

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I don't see die clash, or the RPD...but that could be the pics...its hard to take a good pic of a coin with a phone camera..let alone with a loupe and cell phone...LOL!

Its hard to tell on the toning as well...that toning could be natural, but you can only make that assessment if you can determine if the coin's been cleaned and personally I can't tell from the pics. Its not uncommon for coins like this to have been cleaned back before cleaning was a bad thing. The toning could be caused by that cleaning.

20. thepersonman

Does that heavily detract from the coins value?

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It would be more valuable if it wasn't cleaned. It might not "grade" for it, that's the thing. "Cleaning," though, is collectable. Don't let anyone tell you different. It's a matter of degree and the effect of the cleaning on the surface. The effect on the surface is irreversible, that's why we don't clean. Ah, that said, some cleaned surfaces are more bouncy that others. Most, however, are just plumb dead, the cleaning sucked the life out of the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted