Featured Khusro II: My First Tentative Step into a new Collecting Area

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jul 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Enjoyed your write-up and I think that's a nice coin. I haven't explored the coinage much from the Sassanian and Parthian kingdoms but but here are my mine:

[​IMG]
    Khusru II, Sassanian Kingdom, AD 590-628
    AR, 31.5mm, 4.12g, 2h
    Obv.: Bust of Sassanian king facing right wearing winged crown
    Rev.: Fire altar flanked by two attendants

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF PARTHIA
    Gotarzes II, c. AD 40-51
    AR Drachm, 21mm, 3.3g, 12h; Ecbatana mint.
    Obv.: Bust left, beard cut away to triangular shape on coin, wearing double banded diadem with double loop, earring visible, dotted border.
    Rev.: Archer enthroned right, monogram below bow, seven line inscription ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩN ΑΡΣΑΚΟY EYEPΓETOY ΔΙΚΑΙΟY ΕΠIΦΑNOYΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ , stylised.

ominus1, Ryro, BenSi and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Later PERSIA beyond my SASANIANS:

PARTHIA:

upload_2018-7-21_16-45-26.png
    Parthia 177-138 BCE AR Drachm Diademed draped bust Mithradates I left bashlik - archer seated on omphalos Sellwood 10.1

upload_2018-7-21_16-47-13.png
    Parthia Mithradates III 58-55 BCE AR Drachm 3.9g 20mm Rhagae mint star archer bashlyk throne bow Selwood 41-12

upload_2018-7-21_16-44-33.png
    PARTHIA Orodes II 57-37BC AR Drachm 18mm 3.3g - Crassus gold - Ekbatana mint stars crsnt Arsakes on throne bow anchor Sellwd48.9

PERSIS:
    upload_2018-7-21_16-48-13.png
    PERSIS Darius I 2nd C BCE Obol King’s hd r in satrapal head-dress topped by eagle SCARCE - Fire altar S6200 o-r

ominus1, Ryro, BenSi and 10 others like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coins @arashpour . Thank you for sharing.

The more you know lol thanks @Ryro . Nice coins!

So what you're saying is that Khusro lures you in with the low prices and then the others sneak attack your wallet?...

Great addition @Mat ! Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words and nice Byzantine @ancient coin hunter . Interesting thoughts on Muhammed. I wonder if either Empire had tried to make an ally of the Arabs would they have expanded so aggressively so quickly. Fun "what if" thought.

Great additions as always Brian. I especially like that Shapur I Tetradrachm!

Pellinore, Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nicely done, @Curtisimo :)

I have none of these thin style coins but here's a Zoroastrian fire altar.

[​IMG]
    KINGDOM OF PERSIS, Vadfradad (Autophradates) II (?)
    Mid-2nd century BC
    AR hemidrachm, 2.06 gm
    Obv: head of Vadfradad right with short beard, wearing diadem and kyrbasia adorned with eagle
    Rev: fire temple, Ahura-Mazda above; to left, Vadfradad standing right; to right, vexillum standard surmounted by eagle
    Ref: Sunrise 578

6. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

Very Nice coin @Parthicus this one is quite rare and hard to find. Also I am badly and I should say very badly looking for a Ardashir I coin with corona muralis crown as below image I hope one shows up on my way soon :)

ardashir_rare.jpg

cmezner, Ancientnoob, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  7. david clark

david clark Member

very nice article, I've liked these Sassanian coins for many years, its true the Khushros are by far the most common emperor, and there are is a decent supply of most of the emperors in high grade, many can still be had in Choice Unc for under $100 with a little patience

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. hmamla

hmamla New Member

Only for experts and owners of knowledge This ancient Roman coin how much it is priced .. And what is the name of the Roman emperor
    IMG_20180712_132444.jpg IMG_20180712_132421.jpg

ominus1 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fabulous in depth study, as usual, @Curtisimo

Thanks for sharing
    Q

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Glad this posted was featured, because I missed it! Nice as usual @Curtisimo !

Here is my KII!

100_5866.JPG

Marsyas Mike, TIF, Parthicus and 4 others like this.
  11. If you have questions about your coin, start a new thread, or post it in a recent, relevant thread with other Lucius Verus or other Antonine Dynasty coins. I'll send you a private message with info.

12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This one just arrived today. This one appears to be silver and it looks very similar in design to another one I have which is made of copper or bronze. Longest diameter is about 17mm and weight is 4.3 grams. Any helpful comments or ideas? I think it is Sasanian. 225-650 Sasanian obv.JPG 225-650 Sasanian rev.JPG 225-650 Sasanian edge.JPG

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/gadpaisa.html

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-gadhaiya-paisa-family-portrait.254135

Severus Alexander likes this.
  14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Thanks, a lot of good info there. While I will continue to acquire these coins I call "primitive or medieval", meaning they look rather crude and are usually in unknown to me languages and might be 1000 years old, I have no intention of actually "collecting" them. Somewhere down the road I may feel more energetic and change my so called mind, who knows? Once again the wealth of knowledge available here on CT is amazing and beneficial.

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Inspired by the great write up and the awesome coins, I started looking for one - I know it is a common coin and there are many for sale. I got this Khosrau II drachm from mrbcoins:

AR Drachm, 32.27 mm, 4.04 g;
    Mint: Gayy/ Jayy Isfahan (GD), Dated RY 37 (626 /7 AD). (The seller's description says RY 36, but I spent hours looking at the links given by Curtisimo in the OP, and I think it is RY 37:shy:
    http://grifterrec.rasmir.com/sasania/sas_khuII_1.html )
    Ref.: Göbl type II/3; Alram 917 (Seller's description is Gobl 210, but I think that is not right)

Obv.: ' pzwt GDH - Afzud xwarrah hwsrwb - Husraw (May the royal Glory increase Khusru) Bust of King r. wearing elaborate winged crown within double border decorated with crescent and a six-pointed star fixed on the vertical bar. Crescent and six pointed stars at 3, 6 and 9 o’clock
    Rev.: Zoroastrian fire altar an "atasdan" with a capitellum and plates, two attendants wearing headdresses stand facing ahead, with star and crescent flanking altar flames, all within triple rim decorated with stars and crescent at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock. Pahlavi legend: to the left - the year of his reign; to the right - the mint.

Seller's picture, don't have the coin yet:

upload_2019-4-3_18-18-2.png

16. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Here is a Khusro II of an interesting flavor.
    Sassanian Persia
    Alexandria, Egypt
    AE 12 Nummi (AD 621-628)
    24 mm x 14.22 grams
    Obverse: Bust of Khusro II facing forward wearing a Crown with Star to left Crescent to right Cross center.
    Reverse: I/B either side of cross on orb, Greek legend ALEZ in ex.
    Ref: SB #856, DOC #192 (one recorded)
    Note: Very Rare. Ex Tom Wood
    KhusroII12Nummi.jpg

Sulla80, cmezner, Pellinore and 5 others like this.
  17. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted