Key dates found

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Victor Vazquez, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Found these roll hunting!

Attached Files:

Larry E, Cheech9712 and LA_Geezer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Common dates, not key dates. Especially the 1942. That's a very common date.

Fun roll hunting finds, sure, but key dates? Nope. Not even close. Are you familiar with the definition of the term?

That being said, I like the 1939. Like the others, it's not worth much, but finding it in a roll would've made me smile anyway.

Paul M. and wxcoin like this.
  4. It was cool finding these! All DDO's is what made me smile!!

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

None of them are DDOs, either.

Fun finds, but don't let your imagination get too far ahead of reality.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

wow! All key dated DDOs! :bored:

micbraun likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The key dates are 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1931-S.
    Ultra rare, 1922 no D, 1955 doubled die, 1969-S doubled die.
    Semi keys most of the early s mints, 1910-S, 1911-S, 1912-S, 1913-S, 1914-S, 1915-S, 1924-D, 1926-S, 1911-D, 1912-D, 1913-D, 1922-D.
    Also good: 1970-S small date, 1960 small date.

The coins in the photos may be decent for circulated roll hunting finds, but they
    are worth around .05-.10 cents each. While the hobby is not always about money,
    you can tell the key and semi key dates, by which coins are worth the most/rarest.

Paul M. and LA_Geezer like this.
  8. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Cool finds Victor. Keep searching, you never know what you'll find.

Welcome to the forum.

9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Ditto!

I can't remember when I last found a 1930 to 1949 cent in my change. I did find a 1943 in a CoinStar reject bin last week in pretty good shape, but that is so infrequent.

Victor Vazquez and Cheech9712 like this.
  10. I had to use a magnifying glass to see detail on this circulated qorn coins... Hopefully ill get good enough to see things as well as you do!!! I try to read as up on as much stuff as possible and take notes. Any advice on better identifying dd's

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

yes, just look for the known examples.

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Nice little hawl

Victor Vazquez likes this.
  13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

There's a couple of web pages that show many varieties od DDO's and DDR's. Can't remember their names. Hang in there others will help you with page info. Have fun

Victor Vazquez likes this.
  14. I check " wexler die verities" also "PCGS" for reference. I have 2 1939 pennies. And 55's. Sub verities though.

15. Its fun!! I like finding cool verities and errors! especially if they're MS!!! Found these. Would have been nice if the were higher grades

Attached Files:

16. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Victor...everyone has to start somewhere, and you appear to be heading down the Lincoln cent highway. As noted, the first four you posted are both common and not doubled dies. The next 9 you posted:
    '35 philly buffalo is purty durn rough, figure it to be VG8 at best, but damage to reverse lettering. '70-S is a large date, not the valuable one.
    '71 and '72 cents are spenders, unless you match one to Wexler.
    '66 pic is dark but it looks like a keeper, has fairly light wear and clear fields from that shot,
    and I don't have any advice for the (upset) planchet.

I get it that you are building a collection, and these may be the best and/or only ones you have...at this time. Here's where you can spread your wings...if you don't have a Yeoman Red Book, get one. Using Wexler/doubleddie.com is good, but don't neglect other sources of research like Variety Vista, Lincolncentresource.com and coppercoins.

Whatever you do, don't lose the enthusiasm you have shown in this thread, and good luck in hunting down coins.

Respectfully submitted...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted