Key date circulated, or ultra gem common coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jul 26, 2019.

?

Would you rather have a high grade common coin, or a well-circulated key or semi-key date coin?

1. Key date well-circulated.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Ultra gem low population common coin (MS 67 or higher)

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Semi-key date, decent condition.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Details coin that is rare, or semi-rare

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Okay, you may only choose one. If you had your way, and could only own ONE coin, would it be a very well-circulated key date (G-VG condition), or a low population, ultra high grade common date coin of the same series? Example—would you rather have in your collection that is yours personally,
    a Morgan 1881s MS 68+ or 69, in virtually flawless condition, or the 1889cc, in VG 8, that is quite circulated. The third choice would be a semi-key, in decent condition, such as a Morgan 1894o, in F-12 (a nice, well-circulated, but desirable date). Please give rationale, and reasons for your decision—it can only be ONE coin. I offered option #4, for the folks willing to own a difficult date details coin, also.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Depends...am I doing a type set or the series? For a type coin I want a much better condition example than if I am doing the entire series.

Overall, however, I prefer rarity.

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I picked the high grade common coin (with the stipulation that it has good eye appeal and hasn't been overly grade inflated).

I respect and find interesting the history behind a well circulated key coin, but if I can only have one I prefer something where it is close to how it looked when minted.

I'll add that this might change depending on the series. My vote was based on classic coins (like your Morgan example).

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I voted for the high-grade common date, and this is my reason why:

For financial reasons, I made the decision to sell all of my certified Morgans (about 150) several years ago. First, let me point out that I did not have a single coin that graded MS68 or above, but I did have a lot of coins that were graded by NGC, PCGS and (white) ANACS at MS65-MS67. In every instance, these coins sold for a substantial profit to me even though most of them were common dates. For those that graded MS63-MS64, I broke even unless they were nice toners. By the way, when I sold them, all of the auctions were at 99c start with no reserve.

So, if I were to do it again, I would look for coins graded MS65 and above because they are more likely to be in greater demand upon resale.

Chris

PlanoSteve and Morgandude11 like this.
  6. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Sorry the 'cool'ection went away … :(
    High grade common.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm building a type set with very strict parameters, so I'm going to vote: "Prooflike condition, whichever date is available."

Preferably 64 or higher, but that is also not possible for some series.

8. EdGs

EdGs Member

That is kind of a tough question for me. All of the above. I just think coins are cool and beautiful (for the most part, some of the newer design changes really suck).

First, I would love to have ultra-nice specimens, especially of some of the early designs, they are IMO screaming with coolness. Realisticly though, I will never have a shot at owning such pieces, as my financial situation is pretty much very tight, and I have no rich relatives ;), so you can scratch the inheritance angle. The lottery is my only hope LOL.

That being said, well circulated examples also speak to me, in that there is the thoughts of where the coin has been throughout its circulation are what I see when I get a chance to hold one in my hand. Plus there is a great deal more affordability, or closer to be affordable, that is.

So, for now, The short answer is a well circulated example. It is what it is, and I will have to drool over the awesome specimens that you all share with me via this site.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted