Kennedy Half - What's up with the eye?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, Apr 9, 2016.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Got a few rolls of half's. Found two 1971's with different eyes. The first is really different, but the second could just be MD. This after a few more beers @paddyman98 . :doctor:

1649194333120.jpg
    1649194251125.jpg
    Normal
    1649195315162.jpg

Second one. Doubled pupil?
    1649195529201.jpg

Nick Chiappetta likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Intersesting. Could be "localized" MD or perhaps the "Stoned" Kennedy Half??

Tyler Graton, Stevearino and dchjr like this.
  4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

The first one looks like it's possible ddo, don't quote me but maybe, second is MD. Maybe someone who's more experienced in doubling will confirm. Take a picture of the whole coin on the first one.

dchjr likes this.
  5. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Here are some other photos. Couldn't get the whole thing in one shot.

Attached Files:

eric6794 likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks like DDO. Check the chin for doubling.

7. eric6794

Im going out on a limb here and say you have a DDO. I dont really see it on anything but the eye but the eye seems pronounced enough. the chin I cant tell because of shadow but I see something there also. Im no expert on doubled dies just so you know :D

8. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

There is a good possibility this is a slightly misaligned clash. I don't have any pics on file to do an overlay but the curve of the anomaly at the eye does not match the features of the eye for a DD. The curve does resemble parts of the olive leaves on the reverse and in the last set of photos provided by the OP there is a clash remnant at the tip of the nose and in front of the bridge of the nose

9. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks Stoneman.
    Here is a Kennedy clash (kuddos to www.maddieclashes.com/). It may be the olive leaves or the tip of the bottom wing feathers from a misaligned clash, but otherwise it doesn't match up.
    [​IMG]

Tyler Graton likes this.
  10. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks Eric. here is a better pic of the chin area. I only see PMD along the bottom.

Attached Files:

11. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

This one didn't line up with a Typical clash
    http://maddieclashes.com/ADC-50c-1983-02.html

The presence of what seem to be other atypical clash marks at the nose may put a clash into the realm of possibilities

12. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

The more I look at the eye on your coin the more it looks like it could be doubling.
    I went ahead and did an overlay with one of my 1971's for the heck of it and it does look like the design has altered a bit from 1971 to the 2006 coin Jason used for an overlay. An interesting thing to look at if nothing else.

[​IMG]1971 half overlay a by stoneman227, on Flickr
    [​IMG]1971 half overlay b by stoneman227, on Flickr

Nick Chiappetta and dchjr like this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Nnnnnnnnno. :)

14. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

@Stoneman thanks for the pictures. Nice work! I guess I may just send it to get attributed to see what they say.

15. eric6794

No, No what eddie? no to doubling? Like for mentioned im not a expert at doubled dies I have alot to learn so what do you think it is?

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think it's not a doubled die, eric. I don't know what it is, but just because I don't, that's not conclusive it's a doubled die. Why don't you see what CONECA thinks it is?

17. eric6794

Not my coin to take such a liberty ;)

18. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

The various photos show considerable difference in shadows. How are coins illuminated in microscopy. Is it a small but bright light source? That would explain why I am seeing heavy shadows on both sides of the head.

19. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

These are taken under a microscope with built in LED lights. I guess the larger pictures are getting residual light. These are the best I can get with everything turned off.

Attached Files:

20. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Your photos certainly do show a lot of flexibility in JFK's eyes. I'll have to look carefully at mine to see how restless he appears.

Draft saved Draft deleted