Kennedy Half variety

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by goldmark, Sep 8, 2012.

1. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

frame2.jpg frame4.jpg

I hope this is not a too stupid of a question since I know not much about American Half Dollars, would this Half qualify as a variety?
    It is a 1968 Kennedy Half Dollar with D mintmark (40% silver) and has 2 difference to another coin of the same year and mintmark.

difference 1: the middle line of the E in States is raised (it's a bit difficult to see from the image, but it's cleary raised, it doesn't look like contact mark damage)
    difference 2: there is a small S in the middle of the upper section of the eagle's shield (very fine lined)

Any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

Isn't there a variety where the eagle on the back of a quarter had an S on it? I believe it was nicknamed the "Super Bird" or something like that?

I think the S could be a strike through of some sort, my only guess.
    As for the raised letter, maybe bumped on one part leaving a raised edge, or a very worn die? I don't know about the E....:confused:

4. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Thank you, I'm happy for any suggestions. Is there a picture of the "Super Bird"?

I got the coin from a German collector, at some point it was taken out of circulation, the edges still hold some of their sharpness. I'm not used to the Sheldon scale, my own grading would be vf/xf for the higher mint sates (Stempelglanz) or even about uncirculated the coin doesn't qualify anymore.

5. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

The mark on the shield is a reeding hit from another coin. The E, I'm not sure. If it's a raised lump, it could be a die chip but it could also be a hit.

6. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

Okay, that would mean melt value for the coin.

7. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

That's still better than the 50 cents it would be worth if it didn't have any silver.:)

8. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted