Kennedy Half, SMS dates.....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Maintain, May 26, 2015.

1. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

What is the preferred method of treating '65-'67 Special Mint Set versions. I bought the complete Mint Sets. Do I break up the set, then get the Halves certified? Or, is keeping the Mint Set intact, going to prove the best strategy? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Well are you wanting to get just the halves certified or?

4. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Certify them if you think they will grade high, or if you just want to "preserve" them. Other than that I'd leave them be.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Your best bet would have been to simply purchase the coins already graded by PCGS or NGC. At least then you'll know what you are getting.

Buying 1965-1967 SMS Sets simply for the Kennedy Half Dollars is a waste of 12 coins.

As for the sets themselves? Rest assured that there are "plenty" of these sets to go around so having an "intact" set isn't going to be something unusual or particularly remarkable.

Some are even available in original, unopened US Mint shipping boxes complete with Registered Mail Seals and recipient addresses.

I have purchased them like this when money was a bit more available and in some cases came up with some winners. But, all in all, the sets are fairly common and readily available so if you're just in the market for the Kennedy's, then you should have just purchased those coins already graded.

McBlzr likes this.
  6. Found Dutchman

Found Dutchman New Member

The thrill of hitting it big. You spend $10.00 for a chance of $250 to $300.

7. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Thanks! I like having to make these kind of decisions..... If anything, you learn from the experience.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Buy them slabbed. Much cheaper, as long as you don't go for top registry coins.

9. numisport

numisport Member

High grade coins are available and are not rare. I think the only ones worth collecting are the cameos that look like proofs. These are quite stunning and can be purchased from R & I Coins

10. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted