Kennedy Half Dollar Weight??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by clary1265, Feb 27, 2012.

1. clary1265

clary1265 Member

Can anyone please help me with the weight on the Kennedy Half Dollars please??

I have several from 1965-2000. The 1965-68 appear to be silver and each weighs 11.5. The 1971-2000 all weigh either 11.1 or 11.2. None of them appear to have major circulation wear at all.

Everything I find on the internet reads 11.34 for regular Kennedy's. I thought it was my scale so I calibrated it to be sure and I still get 11.1 and 11.2. I have to be missing something somewhere.

What are the regular Kennedy's suppose to weigh???

I'm still new at this so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'64: 12.50 grams

'65-'70: 11.50 grams

'71 to date: 11.34 grams

4. clary1265

clary1265 Member

Ok. It has to be my scale then. Thank You.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, there are certain +/- tolerances they're allowed to play with. You were dead on with the '65-'68.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The weights on your 71 - 2000 are on the low side but they are within tolerance. 11.34 +/- .4 grams Minimum legal weight would be 10.94 grams.

8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey all...sorry to revive a long-dormant thread...but just got a Kennedy Half (1974 P) that's seriously underweight at 9.88 grams. Coin looks normal but sounds hollow. Also, on the reverse there is what looks like a seam along the inside edge...but looks more like the entire reverse inside the rim is stamped on a high-relief platform...i.e., doesn't look like it would open at all. Anyone seen one of these, or know what's going on with this coin?

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You probably have a hollow coin. It should come apart with a little prying...

[​IMG]

serafino likes this.
  10. stldanceartist

Hey, you know...sure enough I popped the back of that thing right off. On the inside of the reverse it has the design of a Mexican 20 Centavos from 1964. I'm assuming the point of this is to traffic illegal substances?

11. John Anthony

Precisely.

12. stldanceartist

Seems like an awful lot of work...for not a lot of storage space...but then I suppose everyone's got their own goals in life!

Thanks for the help!

13. John Anthony

You're welcome. A picture would be cool, if you can post it...

14. stldanceartist

Photos

DSC_0107.JPG

As requested. Kinda cool!

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Mexican CIA smuggling microchips across the border.

Chris

16. Manbeast

Manbeast Collector

I found one just like this in 2011. The only difference was it had 2 Kennedy heads. I popped it open to find a Mexican coin.

17. Lon Chaney

Your post inspired me to get one open that I found a while ago. Took a hammer and screwdriver and popped it open.
    I think I got the other half of your coin.
    IMAG0039.jpg

18. Lon Chaney

For what it's worth, I think John Anthony's coin is for smuggling some contraband.
    I think my coin and slcdanceartist's coins are some type of magician coin.

19. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

WAIT! am i on peyote, or are you guys REALLY finding hollowed out smuggling coins?

DUSITN HADDOCK likes this.
  20. stldanceartist

The funny part is that I already owned 3 or 4 of these...didn't think to open them up and look inside. Kinda fun! I'll take pictures once I get back from class (Sean Young from Bladerunner is here to talk about the film...)

21. John Anthony

I don't have one. I just posted a stock image. But I don't think they're rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted