Kennedy Half Dollar Errors? 1968-D KHD Obv, 1972-D KHD Obv & 1967 KHD Rev

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mbenn, Jun 15, 2013.

1. mbenn

mbenn New Member

Is it still possible to find new variations of the KHD errors? Am looking forward to your opinions. (1) 1968-D OBV (ear/tragus), (2) 1972-D OBV (chin), & (3) 1967 KHD R (wavy line above the stars) --> Thanks in advance! (1) 0112_1968 D KHD OBV (484x640).jpg (2) 0117.1_1972 D KHD OBV (640x484).jpg (3) 0118.2 1967 KHD R (WAVY LINE) (640x512).jpg [/CODE] Time to walk the dogs and get something to eat. Will be back online later tonight.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

I applaud you for getting your skills of observation in shape! Always good practice.

I have seen die clashes and machine doubling on Kennedys. I think that's what you have here. I'm not sure that they would be classed as errors, however. For me, an error would be something in the die design (doubled dies) or clips, off-centered strikes and the like. Now, you can get pretty spectacular clashes or machine doubling that is worth a premium.

I also like die clashes if I can see part of another design in the clash. Sometimes I can cherry-pick those. For example, I cherry-picked a 3 cent nickel once that had a die clash showing the full profile of Liberty on the reverse. So this area is a bit of fun.

For Kennedy's I like to find the "broken ray reverse" on 1964 halves. The 1964's are so numerous that people view them all the same, but on some 1964 business strikes you can find the reverse for the "accented hair proof" variety. This has not been recognized for any premium, but these are far, far, far scarcer than the normal 1964 reverse die on business strikes. I enjoy finding them because I know I have something a lot scarcer than the common coin, even if no one else seems to care about it. You can find it by looking at the rays and stars under the motto and the designer's initials (see photo).

Attached Files:

4. mbenn

mbenn New Member

Thank you for taking time to help me understand more about the KHD's. I'm wondering what criteria to use to justify the cost of an attribution service. Have you sent any coins to anyone before and if so, can you recommend a service or organization? Thanks in advance.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Please explain what you mean by "attribution service". If a TPG, the value of the coin is what will justify the cost. There are a few Kennedy varieties that can be quite valuable in high grades, but there are also many minor varieties, particularly in the silver years. Until you are able to properly grade (and attribute), it is probably best to hold off on any TPG submissions unless someone with the necessary knowledge is willing to assist you. Of course you may be talking about a CONECA or Wexler attribution which is an entirely different ballgame.

6. mbenn

mbenn New Member

Correct, I have no plans to send any coins for slab/submission; however, I do hope to send some for review just in case they are the real deal. You are correct that I was referring to Attribution Services posted on CONECA and Variety Vista http://www.varietyvista.com/Attribution%20Services.htm. Charges range anywhere from $5 - $8 to review the coin to see if it's worth submitting to ANACS.

Attribution Services sounded like a good idea initially; but it sounds like you are saying I might have misunderstood something about the process. Can you please explain what you mean by "an entirely different ballgame."? Do you agree that Attribution Services are worth the expense?

7. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

If you go to each of the services' web sites, I think they will list the varieties that they attribute. I would only consider PCGS, NGC, and ANACS.
    ANACS is probably the best for obscure or minor varieties and also errors. The other services are good for listed well known varieties.
    I have a few PCGS minor varieties, doubled dies, but I bought these slabbed because the fee to slab them doesn't justify the premium of the minor variety.

But you know, keep looking. If this interests you, it's possible you can find some unknown variety or a known valuable variety. So keep looking and have fun!

8. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Not always..... If it is Machine Damage Doubling (also sometimes referred to as Shelf Doubling) then the answer is no. Post pictures here first, it might save you a few bucks. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted