Kennedy Discoloration

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Vince11229, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Vince11229

Vince11229 Well-Known Member

just found this Kennedy. I have about 20 nickels with similar discoloration which appears uniform on both sides. Not unpleasant. Something to watch for? image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I have seen that before, but I can't remember where. It could be an annealing error, but those are more common for nickels.

4. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

The outer layer of clad quarters and halves is nickel if I am not mistaken.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

All dimes, quarters and half dollars are currently minted on blanks that consists of outer layers of copper-nickel (75% copper and 25% nickel) bonded to an inner core of pure copper.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your nickels and this Kennedy half is most likely Environmental toning.. Not improperly Annealed.

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If the edges/reeding have the same discoloration as the surface, then it's environmental damage. If the edges look like a normal new coin then it has a chance of being an annealing error.

As @paddyman98 said, environmental damage is very common. Annealing errors are not common finds so it is unlikely you have one. There are some excellent threads in the archives about these with pics and tips on ID. Search misannealed

8. Vince11229

Ok. I will check the archives. Here are 2 additional halves with a different discoloration and the edges of all 3 including the first one. All 3 appear to have the normal color on the reed. I cannot determine what that is behind the head on the first photo below. It appears as part of the coin. Any insight is appreciated.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but they are environmental damage

10. Vince11229

Draft saved Draft deleted