Kennedy Accented Hair Proof Reverse - what is this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MixtureNo79, Sep 1, 2013.

  1. MixtureNo79

    MixtureNo79 Member

    I was looking closely at this Kennedy Accented Hair half dollar and it looked like it had scratches on the shield on the reverse, so I enlarged it through a camera and there appears to be a blob on one of the raised bars on the shield.

    Has anyone seen something like this. Is it a die crack/cud error? Is this typical of these 64 proofs? This entire coin seems to have some other roughness, although as a whole it is a very nice proof coin (when not observed in such detail).

    Attached Files:

  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. MixtureNo79

    MixtureNo79 Member

    It is on the 3rd from right shield line/bar, about a quarter of the way down on the shield. As I said, there appear to be other errors or rough areas on this coin which do not appear to be normal for proofs (and do not appear to be wear and tear).
  4. chip

    chip Novice collector

    My accented hair proof does not have that going on the shield. Is it a cud?
  5. MixtureNo79

    MixtureNo79 Member

    Hi yes, it could be a cud. I guess a cud is defined as any extra mass on top of what should normally be there? And it is in some random manner?
  6. cpm9ball

    cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

    A cud forms only on the rim and extends into the field.

    The mark on your coin is probably just a ding or nick since the 64 proof sets were mounted in cello rather than a plastic case.

    MixtureNo79 likes this.
  7. MixtureNo79

    MixtureNo79 Member

    Thanks Chris. You may be right. Problem is, this error does not look like a ding or nick, but more like a convex blob (not concave) left on the coin.

    I could be wrong!! My sight, especially when looking at very small things on coins, is not what it used to be. And the pictures may not be enough for people to see it.
  8. 19Lyds

    19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

    "Cuds" ONLY apply to the rim of the coin.
  9. chip

    chip Novice collector

    The cello was not very protective, my 64 proof set is a lot more dinged than any other one though.

    As for cuds, I was under the impression that a cud was formed when a piece of the die fell out. This usually would happen at the rims, since only a small part would have to fall out. Mind you I have not seen one, but wouldn't it be possible, unlikely yes, but still possible to have a cud in the center of a coin?
  10. cpm9ball

    cpm9ball Cannot Re-Member

    Several years ago, I won an auction lot of 60 of the 1964 proof sets in a Scotsman auction. My intent was to search for the Accented Hair Kennedy's and doubled dies. In the course of searching these sets, I noted scores of dinged and nicked coins among all of the five denominations.

    When a die break occurs along the rim and extends into the field it is called a cud. When a die break occurs anywhere else, it is called just that.......a die break.

  11. chip

    chip Novice collector

    Thanks for the clarification big guy.
  12. atrox001

    atrox001 Senior Member

    It looks like a die gouge to me.

    Larry Nienaber
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page