Kennedy 40% Half Dollar Popularity

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Hey Guys,

I was hoping a more seasoned collector could weigh in on this. I am trying to gauge the popularity of 40% halves. This question stems from the fact i have an opportunity to purchase 13 MS 65 1967 Kennedy halves for 16 dollars a piece. According to eBay's sold listings, they go for a significant amount more, which would be nice for me to flip and maybe keep one or so for myself. However, they don't seem to be selling too often which makes me apprehensive.

So my question is, will i be able to move my product in a timely manner, or is the 40% Kennedy a weighted coin?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

NO No NO, Way to much $2.50 a piece.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What shape are these coins in? Looking at numismedia it wouldn't be worth your time unless it was in MS66 or higher. Certianly not if they are circulated.

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  5. ace71499

My bad, i missed the fact that they are graded MS 65... Thanks for the warning though!

6. abuckmaster147

You had me scared for a minute!!
    Edit BTW are you looking at raw or slabbed?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  7. abuckmaster147

I was about ready to ask you to be my Friend. :jawdrop::greedy:;);)
    See anything you like Ha Ha!!

[​IMG]

Cheech9712 and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. ace71499

I'm a CRH primarily. I did want to get into some passive dealing so i can pay for some stuff for my type set. I am nervous with such a big purchase i will be stuck with 16 of the same coin essentially. Which is why I'm curious if the 40% Kennedy Half is the black hen of the group.
    PCGS coinfacts for those who need.
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6710

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They are only worth $3 apiece to me.
    But you have to collect what you like.
    If the collector value is higher, etc.
    These 40% MS 65 may retail for $15 and $20, but I am not a buyer.

10. abuckmaster147

I am not sure, As you may know from roll hunting They are a dime a dozen, But the 65 well I think there are only 2 of them in that pile. You looked at completed listing in Green? So yea certain times of year things do better Now is tax time you will have to make that decision. But for raw IDK.

11. ace71499

If i hadn't made it clear, they are graded coins, PCGS

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Why would anyone spend more on grading, then the coin is worth? Hoping one came back 68 is all I can think.
    What are you going to do with 13 of the same coin? Flip them?
    I could see keeping one, and trying to sell the others. IDK what the market
    is for MS-65 1967 Kennedy's.

13. John T.

John T. Active Member

I think if you look for the best, you may have a higher grade. If you think so, then regrade. Otherwise, just sell some.

14. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

If you were buying one to keep, a bottom line price of $16 for a PCGS MS65 might be fair. If you want to flip them for a profit, pass. Sellers fees and shipping will eat any profit and maybe more.

15. Aotearoa

Aotearoa Currently Smitten with DBLCs

Sheesh! The ability to read is apparently a dying art form...

16. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

In 1965, you had two options for 40% silver Kennedy half dollars. The normal version is worth about $3 unless in a very high grade. You also have the version from the special mint set (SMS), which tend to bring about $8.

17. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Those coins only book at $22 at MS65. That would not be a good flipper deal. I bet $16 is more the going rate on E-Bay. I would pass. If you do buy them, auction one or two with a $16 starting bid and a couple bucks for shipping and see what the demand is for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted