Kennedy 1964 - 11.4 GRAMS???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HAGOP, Feb 18, 2009.

1. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

Hey guys,
    I bought 2 Kennedy Half Dollar dated 1964,The only Kennedy Half with 90% silver contain.
    I didn't mesure the weight when I bought because I believed they were not fake.They are in XF condition,some circulation mark & both reverse are beautifully toned.
    I still believe they are not fake,or if you want,they don't look fake at all!

I mesured now & they are only 11.4 grams,both of them.

Are they fake?
    maybe
    Error?

Sorry guys,I can't post any picture lately because currently I don't have internet connection at home.
    These days I'm buying coins instead of refealing my connection card.

TY.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

First thing to do is confirm the calibration of your scale. If it checks out look at the edges to make sure they haven't been struck on 40% silver clad blanks which would weigh 11.5 grams (close enough to what you are getting) If they aren't then something is screwy. Oh I assume the coins are not very heavily worn right?

If the weight IS 11.4, the coins aren't heavily worn, and they aren't clad, then they are either fakes or Mint errors (struck on rolled thin strip)

4. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

It is SILVER.
    How can I guess from the EDGES if it's 40% or 90%
    The edge is black,because it's a circualted coin.
    How can I get 11.5 grams of 1964? I checked it's 12.5 grams.
    if it's authentic & weights 11.5 grams,is this variety common? I looked PCGS,there was not such variety.

Because,They don't look "FAKE",I just want to prove if they are not fake.
    There was only two 1964 coins at the dealer the rest was Nickel Halves.
    So is it possible that both two 1964 were from the same roll???
    btw they don't have a mintmark,they are P.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't have a clue just what you have access to, but you need to check those scales.
    4 pre 1982 Lincolns should weigh 12.4 gms
    5 post 1982 Lincolns should weigh 12.5 gms
    2 clad (not silver) quarters should weigh 11.5 gms. etc.

6. FarmerB

FarmerB Senior Member

Sorry - without pics - my guess fake.
    Where perchance did ya pick 'em up??

Kentucky likes this.
  7. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

OK HERE WE GO!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOOK @ THE DIE CRACK? FAKE OR ERROR?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

And how did your scale check out?

9. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

even I checked in Wikipedia,I still didn't know what does scale means my friend?

Tell me what do u see in the photos?

FAKE COIN or AUTHENTIC?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

OK! Sorry. I meant SCALES. You know - what you weigh things with - the thing that said you coins weighed 11.4 grams. You need to check them out!

11. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

HOW to check them out?

YES THEY ARE 11.4 Grams.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Read post #4 in this thread.

13. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

OK,but how to check those scales???

14. HAGOP

HAGOP Member

I tried on MAGNET, they don't attach!
    They are silver.

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Weigh something of a know weight. Suggestions are listed above. Do you have any of the above? If not, weigh any coin or coins that would weigh something about 11 grams. All coins (modern, anyway) I have heard of have a know weight and you should be able to find that weight somewhere on the net like you found the halves should weigh 12.5 grams.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

US five cent pieces weigh 5 grams very closely. The calibration of the scale should be checked by weighing 1 nickel, 2 nickels, 3 nickels, 4 nickels, 5 nickels and see if you get weights of 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 grams. If you don't then the scale is not accurate.

Heavymetal likes this.
  17. M.E.

M.E. New Member

Hello i have 2 Kennedy half dollars 1is a 1963 and the other is a 1980 both have a weight 11.4 grams . Are they fakes or errors?

18. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

First,welcome to Coin Talk. You should start a new post for your coins. This thread is from 2009. Also photos of both sides will help us to help you

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well if you have a 1963 Kennedy half yes that one is a fake. 11.4 grams is well within tolerance for a 1980 half dollar.

Spark1951 likes this.
  20. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

As far as I know, the mint never produced a1963 Kennedy hail dollar. 1963 was the last year for Ben. Franklins.

Spark1951 likes this.
  21. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Well-Known Member

Not so quick that 1963 Kennedy could be the infamous Kennedy Half on the hill or otherwise known as the Illuminati half. They knew Kennedy was to be asassinated not no sure of the year, hence a 1963 some got release accidentally.:facepalm:

roman99 and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted