Keeping Early Copper Safe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by collectingkid, Dec 4, 2011.

1. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

Hello,

I read an article that said that mylar flips have PVC in them and are dangerous to be used. I store my coin in the flip, also for the back I use the envelope with the info on it. So what is the bet way to store old copper except 2x2s (I hate them :devil:)?

Thanks

Daniel

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

Hmm, airtites come to mind, those private use "slabs", nothing else that I can think of right off the top of my head...

4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Some 2x2s are pvc free, you just gotta ask the dealer who sells them. Also, an airtite or grading slab would work.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If it is truly a mylar [polyethylene terephthalate ] film , either as a clear plastic 2x2 flip or as the inner film of a cardboard 2x2, it is considered archival and unreactive to coins and paper material. There are some PVC flips that are not mylar but are a vinyl with lesser amounts or lesser active plasticizer agents. These generally are considered much better than the regular soft PVC plastic holders, and are usually safe in low or medium range humidity/reactive chemicals in the air. In high humidity, sulfurous or acid air, mylar or hard plastic is better. The commercial air-tite ( tm) or TPG slabs are safe as mylar.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Do non PVC flips protect your coins from PVC contamination ? Yep, sure do.

Do they protect the coins from getting scratched when you put the coin into or take it out of the flip ? Nope, they don't.

Do they protect the coins from getting rub marks on them from sliding around inside the flip ? Nope, they don't.

Do they restrict the amount of air that can reach the coins ? Nope, they don't.

So when you ask the question - are non-PVC flips safe for coins ? You also have to ask what exactly are they safe from ?

8. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I store mine in acid free paper envelopes with little cotton pouches inside. The envelopes go in shield boxes and they all go into the safe deposit box.

Pretty good article going over different storage options from a EAC guy:

http://www.largecents.net/articles/article3.html

9. collectingkid

thanks everyone!!

10. collectingkid

Thats the article I read and it said the flips have pvc in them :dead-horse:

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I have said several times here, that early coin collectors including ancient coins often have a different idea of cleaning and storage. There are a few things in the article I would not practice.

1. The use of any oil/surface agent such as MS-70, coincare, olive oil of any virginity, etc.
    2. The storage in cotton sacks unless I had a certification they were of archival quality as processing can use acids or alkali and must be rinsed completely . Also cotton can capture dust ( silica particles) with a hardness greater than copper or silver as I do not believe people change the bags each time they bring them out of the envelope.

Now #2 is nit picking, as I don't know how often they are brought out for "looking".

Doug and I both commented on the PVC flips ( soft, non-scratching ) compared to the non-PVC ( harder, possible scratching ), and if you are taking coins to the public such as selling, then the PVC holders might be the answer due to the handling. If the coin is just your collection, and you know better than to move them in and out of mylar flips, then that is best for storage. If you seal the flip, it is air tight, and should be the best one can do. I use this on the flips.

http://www.amazon.com/Impulse-Seale...MKO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323117943&sr=8-2

although there are many brands and sizes. Just be sure the impulse is adjustable ( knob on front) as the setting for mylar should be enough to seal it and not burn through.PVC holders can be sealed to prevent switching also ( different setting) IMO.

Jim

12. GDJMSP

You can find articles written by some very big names in numismatics that tell you to use everything from baking soda and a toothbrush to soapy water and a soft cloth to clean your coins. But that doesn't make it a good idea.

Same thing with proper storage.

As I've said before, I'm a nobody. But I have been doing this for over 50 years, and I've learned a lot along the way. Learned most of it the hard way. And when I tell you or recommend that you don't or shouldn't do certain things there's a reason for it. And I almost always explain those reasons. They are common sense, valid reasons. You can choose to listen, or you can choose not to listen. But if ya don't listen, you will eventually. After you've learned the hard way.

And for the record beef, when I say "you", I am not talking about you personally. But rather people in general.

13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I know that mylars are supposed to be archival quality and should last about 100 years before they need to be changed. The cheaper quality holders should probably be changed every few years so it doesn't damage your coins. Or you should just stay away from them. Also not all mylars are equal in quality. There are some that is very durable and some are falsely advertised as mylars when they are not.

14. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Great link beef1020. I will note that the author of that article, Steve Carr, is one of the most knowledgeable folks anywhere on copper Large Cents. Anything Steve says I take as words from a foremost expert. He, along with Doug Bird, conduct the best early copper grading seminar available anywhere at EAC Conventions.

15. GDJMSP

He may be a whiz at grading them and his knowledge of the coins may be unsurpassed - but he apparently doesn't know much about storage. That article has many bad ideas, some worse than others, and few outright mistakes in it.

16. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

At the ANA WF there was an 1804 dollar and a 1913 V nickel in intercept shield plastic 2x2s. Theyre probably fine for your needs...

17. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

What is your recommended storage method for early copper? I don't take it personally, I'm here to learn.

18. GDJMSP

The same as it is for any coin. Use a hard plastic coin holder, Air-Tites, snap-locks, whatever. Store all coins in a sealed container (safe, Tupperware or RubberMaid bin, something like that) that is kept in a cool, dark place in your home (like a closet with no exterior walls) where the temperature rarely changes. Keep rechargeable silica gel packs in the container and change them as necessary. That's about it.

Do that and you done all that can be done.

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Multiple layers of protection from air. For example: airtite holder>freezer bag with desiccant>tupperware. The more layers, the better.

20. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Just curious, but has anyone tried using those vacuum sealing bags? Seems like they would do a decent job of taking out the air.

21. GDJMSP

They do. But the vacuum type are not necessary, a regular Ziplock will do just as much good. Heat sealing non PVC flips works too. But plastic itself is air permeable, meaning air can go right through the plastic. That's why there is no such thing as an airtight coin holder.

But yes, sealing the coins in the bags does help if you want to take that extra step.

Draft saved Draft deleted