Keeper or spender 1950 $5 bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by man2004, Jun 10, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I picked up this 1950 $5 bill at the local bank. Is it worth keeping?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

in the shape it's in probably a spender. wait for more experienced opinions....

4. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

I would say spend it, it's from the NY district. Just a nice bill.

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I vote for keeping. It may not be in the best condition but $5 won't break the bank.

Coin-Dude likes this.
  6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with @NOS, keep it until you get a better example.

Coin-Dude likes this.
  7. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Thank you everyone. I have a few more similar bills ($5s-$50s) I’ll post over the next few days.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It would break my heart to spend it. Even though it's prob worth $5.50 tops.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Most of today's finds, at face, will not come around again. If you can, keep it. I kept many as such in the past and still have them. remember you can still spend them, or you may find out later that they do go up in value. So, flip a coin, and see if you keep it or spend it.

Jaelus likes this.
  10. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I’m keeping it! :)

George McClellan, NOS and 7Calbrey like this.
  11. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

The Gov't would just cut it up and print a fancier one.
    You're the best hope the poor dear has.

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Spend it. It has lost at least 5x it's purchasing power since it was issued, and will continue to lose more. $20 today is what a $5 bill then (1950-1963) would buy.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As long as you know it is incredibly unlikely to significantly go up in value and don't mind tying up $5 (that could be spent on another coin or note, perhaps? :)), then keep if it you like it.

If you're collecting older bank notes, then the advice that @NOS and @SteveInTampa gave is excellent

14. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I have a series 1950 5$ that I found a long time ago. I kept it just because I like the light green color of the seal and serials.

15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Kindly note that your use of "it's" should be "its" as writing "its" in the possessive context is the same as writing "his", "hers", "yours" or "theirs". Anyway, this is not a $50 bill or even a $500 bill that is being discussed but a $5 bill so loss of value due to inflationary pressures will be negligible. Like has been previously mentioned, $5 won't break the bank (except perhaps to you?).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  16. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I have the 5 displayed along the edge of a clear round container along with a few nice clad Eisenhower dollars (also from tellers). I will name the container "Hopeless Investments". All joking aside, I completely understand the investment point of view. Most of the time, I try to do a fire drill with coins or paper that seem like a good deal. Instead of buying them, I add the same amount to my index mutual funds and watch the numbers grow. For me, the numbers on the computer screen lose their charm quickly. There is never enough! Perhaps the same is true for collecting silver, gold, paper, coins...

17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

At this point I keep any older notes I find in circulation. You can always spend them later.

18. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

KEEP IT

19. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

pretty lucky to me to find something like that!

Draft saved Draft deleted