Kashmir

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

A couple of new additions to my Hindu collection....
    Both are of Jaga Deva and both are ex-William Spengler collection.
    The legend on the coins of 'Jagadeva' normally consists of the letter 'Ja, to the left and 'ga' to the right on the obverse, either side of the goddess, and the title 'deva' on the reverse bottom right. This is shown on the first coin below which is basically an upgrade of the more common variety that I already possess..
    First coin.
    Jaga Deva..1199-1213 AD.....19mm/5.70gr...Die axis 12 o'clock.
    Obverse...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, to the left: 'Ja', to the right 'ga'.
    Reverse...Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at an altar to the left. Bottom right legend in Sharada script 'Deva'....Ex-William Spengler collection.
    MNI..195-96..
    20210320_jd-common-with-text.jpg
    The second coin I'm really thrilled to add to my collection as it's a very rare variant!
    I've only been able to find one other example of this type, it's on zeno...
    https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=135867.....
    I've also been speaking with the owner of this example (great guy!) and we're pretty sure they're a double die match.
    This coin type shows the entire legend on the obverse with 'Jaga' to the left and 'deva' to the right of the goddess. The title 'deva' is then repeated on the reverse bottom right..

Jaga Deva..1199-1213 AD.....19mm/6.22gr...Die axis 12 o'clock.
    Obverse...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, at left: 'Jaga', at right: 'Deva'.
    Reverse...Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at an altar to the left. Bottom right legend in Sharada script 'Deva'....Ex-William Spengler collection.
    Here's the coin with a break down of the legend....
    This type is unpublished in Mitchiner but is mentioned in Rodgers article plate coin #20...
    jaga text rare.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
Draft saved Draft deleted