Kashmir

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Thanks THCoins! So the octopus form that I thought were flames from the alter is in fact the rulers right hand and so I think I'm safe in saying that the 3 or 4 curved lines at 3 oclock are his/her left hand grasping the trident?
    Paul

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Just received these 2 in the post 5$ for them both ..I took a chance as the sellers photos were very unclear but now I have them in hand I think it was a lucky deal?
    Here's the first one...the second I'll post later.
    IMG_1905.JPG sugandha obverse with script.jpg
    Queen Sugandha (904 -906 A.D.) I'm 99% sure but after my mis-attribution of THCoins Sussala just 1% doubt,any thoughts?If it is Sussala it's not a problem as I haven't got him either:D

Paul

4. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Agree on most likely Sugandha. Would have to see also the otehr side to be sure.
    On my Sussala type you can clearly see the extended left arm with hand holding the trident.
    You transcription of the Ndha aksara is incorrect in the picture above i think. The "dha" should be a little circle hanging below the "na".

5. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Several years ago I had a chance to see a gold stater of Jaga Deva:

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=302728

CNG typically puts out its best e-auction the first week of the year and previews it alongside Triton at the New York International show. This coin was part of that. I have never seen another gold Jaga Deva. Are there any in museum collections?

I would be curious to know if this piece is die-linked to the bronze issue. It is also notable that this coin is circulated.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. THCoins

I have never seen an AV stater of the Kashmir kings in real live (The earlier debased gold staters of the Kidarites of Jammu and Kashmir are common). Don't think that many others exist. I do not know of any literature evidence that gold Kashmir staters were used in trade at all. May also just have been presentation pieces.

Jaga Deva is one of the common types. I think that the amount made is so large that it will take you a long time to find die links. Possibly, the coins were even produced at more than one mint if you look at small style differences.
    Here a Jaga Deva of mine. Not die identical to any of the others shown, it also has a different arrangement of the legend (Ja | Ga De / Va, in stead of Ja | Ga / DeVa)
    JagadeVaW.jpg

7. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Great set, and really helpful to me. When I see them, I might remember what they are as I'm always looking for different material. Is there a way to beg, borrow, or steal your photo? I do collect some material from India and environs. I really am
    intrigued by the Chola material. Thanks for the photo.

8. Spaniard

Here's the obverse and reverse of the Sugandha coin ...
    IMG_1905.JPG IMG_1904.JPG

Here's the second coin..
    IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1908.JPG
    Again I think this is Sankara Varman (883 -902 A.D.)..thoughts?

Paul

Attached Files:

Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  9. THCoins

Agree with your attribution. Only doubt on the Sankara comes from the shape of the first character of the name. The leftmost oblique line is a bit atypical, it should run vertically down. But i have no good alternative.

10. Spaniard

Thanks THCoins,I agree about the Sankara it's why I didn't post it straight away but I also can't find anything else it could be next to it is my other Sankara ,should look like this as you know...Looks like it was a good buy at 2,50$ each:D
    sankara obverse with script.jpg sankara obv.jpg
    Just like to say thanks for your help on the legends you've been really helpful!

To all ....Please feel free to post any coins you have of this series, as every coin is so individual and can reveal different aspects not seen on other coins.

Saludos Paul

Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  11. Spaniard

Been busy-Heres my set as of now with lots of newbies..Some quite hard to get! kash set december.png

Avantivarman The first ruler of the Utpala dynasty and is said the most peaceful reign in the history of Kashmir.

3 grandsons of the infamous queen Diddarani, Nandigupta,Tribhuvanagupta and Bhimagupta all of whom she had tortured and killed in one way or another.

Sussala 1st and 2nd reign coins the latter being quite rare.

And finally Jayasimha who died after a reign of 26 years.

I've noticed that a lot of the rulers names can be spelled differently also depending on the reference source the dates of each ruler can vary slightly so I'll upgrade the information as it becomes available.

Saludos Paul

talerman, Bob L., Curtisimo and 3 others like this.
  12. THCoins

Great collection of coins you assembled over a short period ! And a nice reference chart.
    AnantaDevaW.jpg
    Here another specimen of a ruler you already showed earlier (Ananta Deva).

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Spaniard

@THCoins...Thanks and thats a really nice specimen with lovely colouring differences between the high and low spots really makes the images and characters stand-out....

Here's one that I'm not 100% sure on? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've not seen one of these before and assume its a rarer type?
    unknown.jpg
    unnn.jpg

Seller had it attributed as a joint issue of Sampath?(don't know who he was?) and Jayasimha 1127-1150AD

As we look at the coin (obverse) to the right I can read JA and the start of YA..
    To the left there is SRI next to this a SA? And below PA?orPHA?but there seems to be a character linking the two and I can't make it out?

On the reverse Deva

Have you got any ideas on this one? Is it possibly a joint issue with his father Sussala?

Thank you regards Paul

Severus Alexander and Alegandron like this.
  14. THCoins

15. Spaniard

Sorry not been posting lately. Too much work work work...

Here's my set as of now with some harder to find rulers and a few upgrades....

Hopefully a good visual reference source.

For anyone who's interested I have set up a gallery under Kashmir over on forvm which I will update as the set grows...

Few doubts I still have that maybe someone can help with..

Is the 1st symbol to the right of the goddess Sa...'M'...gra..ma /or / Sa...'N'...gra..ma.
    To me this looks like a single consonant 'M'.

I'm still not 100% convinced the Jayasimha legend variant is 'Srimat'...??
    I still have a feeling this is a joint issue with his father Sussala,but still can't seem to get the legend to work? Although Jaya was crowned in 1123 his father still reigned until his death in 1128 so there's a 5 year joint transition period which is a long time in the minting of coins...

Thanks Paul

new set march.jpg

talerman, Ed Snible and Alegandron like this.
  16. Spaniard

Another rare ruler!...With a nice clear 'Cha' to the right of the goddess...

Stumbled upon this one accidentally...

Chakravarman 923 -933 and again 936-937 AD
    After the death of his crippled father Nirjitavarman in 923 AD, Chakravarman ascended to the throne(though still a child)under the guardianship of his mother and grandmother and reigned for 10 years until being ousted by the Tantrins (a powerful military caste of unknown origin).Basically over the next 3 years the Tantrins became more powerful using puppet kings such as Partha and Suravarman(other sons of Nirjitavarman from different wives)to gain wealth.
    Whilst all this turmoil was in progress Chakravarman befriended a powerful damara named Samgrama forming a large army and in early 936 AD the Tantrins led by Suravarman and the Damaras led by Chakravarman met at Pampore about 11km from the ancient capital Srinagar.The Tantrins were completely routed with Chakravarman killing his stepbrother Suravarman on the battle field.
    Chakravarman was then reinstated as king but over the next two years became obsessed by the two daughters of a court musician Hamsi and Nagalata marrying them both and making Hamsi the chief queen(a bad move as they were from a very low caste) and is said to have embarked on a life of debauchery and self pleasure.(well you would, wouldn't you?)
    He soon forgot about the help that the Damaras had given having many of them excecuted.(You can see this one coming!)Hatred and chaos ensued and in 937 AD it is said he was murdered by the Damaras in the arms of his queen...

Paul

CHAKRAVARMAN TOGETHER.jpg
    And here's the upgraded reference..
    kashmir set march 2018.jpg

talerman, Alegandron and Ed Snible like this.
  17. Jasper Burns

Jasper Burns Active Member

I used to collect these but, alas, was forced to sell my collection many years ago - other than one Didda and one Jagadeva. At its height, my collection featured nine rulers, including one that is quite rare. Rajadeva is mentioned by Mitchiner (MNI, p. 36), but not figured. My specimen was low grade and my reading of the legend was somewhat tentative. Any thoughts?
    rajadeva.jpg

18. Spaniard

Hi Jasper...Nice coin! and very rare!

Your spot on with your attribution..Raja Deva 1213-1236 son of Jaga deva

Here's a slightly clearer sample (not mine) showing the full legend.. rajadeva.jpg
    Also at 4 o'clock on the obverse of your coin you can see the legend 'Deva'..
    text.jpg
    Thanks for sharing....Paul

19. Jasper Burns

Jasper Burns Active Member

Thanks Paul! Wish I still had that coin, but good to have my attribution confirmed.

20. navin

navin New Member

Hi, can anyone provide information about this coin, I can see Sri ja ga (or Ra ). In the bottom right is deva.

Attached Files:

Ed Snible likes this.
  21. THCoins

Interesting specimen. Not a ruler i can name at first sight. Based on style i'd say 2nd Lohara dynasty or later (Post 1100AD).
    On the left the top line is "Sri Ja". Below this "Ma/Cha/Ya Si". The first character is likely one of these three possibilities. But there could be hanging something below this where the photo is cut off. This might modify the interpretation of this lower line.
    On the right i read "RaDha in the top line and indeed "DeVa" in the lower line.
    Perhaps Paul (Spaniard) may lend a further hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted