Featured Karl Goetz Medals, Post Yours

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Jul 23, 2018.

1. karlgoetzmedals

karlgoetzmedals New Member

Jaelus et al, My previous post assumptions were based on the premise that there are more than one of these probes with the same defect. I continue to scour records to no avail but will continue the hunt before reformulating a more educated answer. Shouldn't be more than a couple of days as I'm conversing with a couple of other researchers on this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. karlgoetzmedals

karlgoetzmedals New Member

Okay, sorry about the long overdue additional response.

After discussion with a number of other collectors I stand corrected. The consensus stands that the cut occurred post production.

While there are a number of questionable hubs/dies that were offered by Heritage years ago, including a die created from a broken hub, it is highly unlikely this was struck from an impaired die as I blurted out originally. The hub/die hadn't been canceled either as I have yet to see an actual canceled Goetz die.

Your comment about 'knowing Guido restruck this medal' came from me (?), or elsewhere? With the very limited number of these I'm actually beginning to think he didn't befoul this probe unlike so many of later probes. Probe production in general was limited by the mint for silver examples while Karl could have created any amount of the copper pieces freely. Still, I haven't seen many in either composition. I have one of each in my collection though.

4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Over the last few months there has been a lot of Goetz medals come onto the market. Honestly it is a bit overwhelming. I have added some items but there is so much more that I want to but don't have the funds available.

Goetz 16 03.jpg
    K-16
    Prince Ruler Luitpold of Bavaria, his 90th Birthday
    Diameter: 28 mm
    Weight: 12.18 g

Goetz 297 05.jpg
    K-297
    1923 WEIMAR GERMANY "THE RUTLI OATH" 60 MM MEDAL
    FACTORY WORKERS REFUSING TO LEND AID TO THE FRENCH.
    DIAMETER 60 MM

Goetz 262 02.jpg
    K-262
    Diameter: 57.5mm
    Weight: 59.03 g
    The Black Shame. Dated 1920. DIE WACHT AM RHEIN !!, caricatured head of a French African colonial soldier, wearing Adrian helmet and ear plug; 1930 to left; below LIBERTE/ÉGALI TÉ/FRATERNI/TÉ in four lines / DIE SCHWARZE SCHANDE (the black shame), Lorelei chained to large erect phallus wearing Adrian helmet; broken lyre to left, Eye of Providence above; K · G in exergue.

Goetz 274 02.jpg
    K-274
    Diameter: 58mm
    Weight: 75.48 g
    The Code Napoleon. Dated 1920. FRANZÖSISCHE RECHTSPRECHUNG (French court ruling), hand drawing sword from sheath; in background, French African colonial troops advancing right, dragging away German women; CODE/NAPOLÉON in two lines to upper right; to lower left, date and shield decorated with cockerel; K · G to right / WUSTLINGE AM RHEIN! (Lechers on the Rhine), city view with debauchery in the streets around central square decorated with column surmounted by the Virgin Mary; buildings around marked as brothels and bars for the colonial forces .

Goetz 138 03.jpg
    K-138
    THE LANDING OF THE INDIAN AND AFRICAN TROOPS AT MARSEILLES
    Diameter: 57 mm
    Weight 68 grams
    Obv. Tall English "Tommy" urging a tiny elephant Translated to English " All right to the fighting front"
    Rev. Triumphant arch on the shore festones with garlands, elephant head, and topped with a trotting Gallic Rooster. Translated Long live the English we are saved / grand performance of the Indians

Goetz 222 03.jpg
    K-222
    Diameter: 58mm
    Weight 56 grams
    OBV. Caricature of three men (worker, soldier & farmer) inscription 'DIE RATE REPUBLIK " at bottom "BAIERN / 7. 3 iV . 1919"
    REV. Eisner dancing with Levin to the tune of " Internationale" Inscription "LOS VOM REICH !...."

Goetz 206 03.jpg
    K-206
    "Peace With Russia"
    Diameter: 58.5mm
    Weight: 57.03gm
    Obverse: 3 MAERZ 1918 Eagle right standing on helmet, dove with olive branch
    Reverse: FRIEDEN MIT GROSS RVSSLAND Opened pliers over broken shell casing, pair of seven tail whips.

Goetz 425 04.jpg
    K-425
    1929 DATED Commemorates the 800th Anniversary of the Birthday of Henry the Lion.

Goetz 408 05.jpg
    K-408
    1928 LZ-127 Zeppelin 90th

Goetz 412 03.jpg
    K-412
    Ludwig Jahn, the father of gymnastics in Germany

Diameter: 36 mm
    Weight: 24.31 g

And that's my allow 10 images. I will post the rest later.

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

The last 3

Goetz 306 04.jpg
    K-306
    A satire on the heights of inflation and the belief that only work and prayer can help on its way to recovery.

Diameter: 62 mm
    Weight: 73.26 g

Goetz 239 01.jpg
    K-239
    Oh Old Imperial Glory

Diameter: 60 mm
    Weight: 61.71 g

Goetz 146 04.jpg
    K-146
    Commemorating the Battle of the Falkland Islands, 1914. Obverse: Three busts, right-hand one turned three-quarters left, the Admiral's hands resting on his sons' shoulders. Thin laurel wreath along edge. Above centre 'MAXI-MILIAN'; (right) 'OTTO'; (left) 'HEINRICH.' Exergue: 'GRAFEN VON SPEE.' Palm branch each side. Below this: 'AVF DER "SCHARNHORST" DER VATER ADMIRAL VNTER SEINEM KOMMANDO EIN GESCHWADER' ~ KLEIN AN DER ZAHL ~ DER AELTERE SOHN' AVF DER "GNEISENAV" LEVTNANT OTTO' ALS SOLCHER AVF DER "NVERNBERG" STAND BEIDEN FALKLANDS INSELN AVF HOHER SEE LIEGEN' DEVTSCHE HELDEN LIEGEN DREI GRAFEN SPEE'. (Maximilian, Otto, Henry, Counts von Spee. On board the 'Scharnhorst', the father, Admiral. Under his command a squadron, small in numbers. The elder son serving on board the 'Gneisenau' as Lieutenant. Otto similarly on board the 'Nurnberg'. Off the Falkland Islands, on the high sea, lie German heroes, lie three Counts Spee.) Reverse: An eagle flying over the sea, carrying a laurel branch in his talons. High islands on the distance. Laurel wreath along edge. Above: '8 . DEZEMBER 1914'.

Material: Bronze
    Weight: 237.80 g
    Diameter: 103.00 mm

Draft saved Draft deleted