Kalkriese coins in private hands

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

One of my favorite battles 9 AD. You would think local folks would come across coins from time to time. Anyone have any? The battle flowed for Miles and miles, so you would think some coins are still going from collector to collector. Any thoughts.
    Rich

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Not mine...
    But found there
    Varus.JPG.jpg

Edessa, Limes, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  4. Mammothtooth

OH Lord give me strength to view these without having a Stroke!…..Do you think that party would sell just one!!

5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

No. That is from museum display case.

6. Mammothtooth

Oh okay, happy for the museum. I would never hunt on the inside perimeter of the field, but these battles stretched for miles. I am sure someone out there has coins from the surrounding area that most likely came from the fight. At any rate I shall put my quest to bed.
    Thanks much
    Rich

7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I took that photo in 2006. A few stray finds were found with a detector, but most of these were several feet deep as bodies most likely fell into bogs. The Germans certainly would have taken silver and gold from the immediate battle field off the Roman soldiers. As you can see the bottom is 'probably' out of range for a MD.

Screenshot_20230127_123752_Gallery.jpg

Limes likes this.
  8. Mammothtooth

Well said, most coins removed, still they show up. Some German farmer around there has Roman coins….You can bet on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted