Justinian at Antioch

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Justinian minted folles at Antioch with a great variety of mintmarks. At one time, I had assembled five distinctly different mintmarks for that one reign and city and decided to collect them and write them up.

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/interesting/Justinian.html

The site has been completely reorganized to be chronological, more mintmark types have been added (there are at least eight, not counting minor spelling varieties), and the tragic story of of Antioch is told.

After two major earthquakes Antioch was renamed "Theopolis" (City of God). Here is a
    +THEUP
    mintmark on one of the new coins.
    SB216BentMmm.jpg

The coin is a large follis:
    SB216BentM_1083.jpg
    Justinian follis. Sear 216
    31-30 mm. 11.68 grams. 6:00.
    The reverse is odd for having a bent "M".

How can that be? The usual explanation would be a sliding or double strike,
    but the mintmark is clear and well-struck only once. If you collect Byzantine copper you must find enjoyment in such oddities, because there is little beauty or perfection to be seen.

If you might have any interest in Byzantine copper coins, take a look at my page.
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/interesting/Justinian.html
    You will discover that Byzantine copper can be very interesting.

Herberto, FitzNigel, Jwt708 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Interesting coin. Here is my only coin of Justinian.

Justinian lot 693 Nauman 48.jpg
    JUSTINIAN I (527-565). Struck 527-538 GOLD Solidus.

(21.74 mm, 4.45 g)

Constantinople.

Obv: D N IVSTINIANVS P P AVG.

Helmeted, draped and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger and shield.

Rev: VICTORIA AVGGG Θ / CONOB.

Angel standing facing, holding long staff surmounted by cross and globus cruciger; star to right.

Sear 139.

Condition: Very fine.

Ex: Numismatik-Nauman auction 48, Lot 693 November 20, 2016.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've thought about that coin, but I have this HF that suits me enough for an example of him. But the bent M is cool.

[​IMG]
    Justinian I, (527-565 A.D.)
    Ae 1/2 Follis
    O: DN IVSTINI-ANVS PP AVG,Diademed draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Large K, cross to left, star above and below, officinia gamma to right.
    22mm
    9.9g
    Constantinople mint
    SB 164; Doc 33

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bent M is fascinating. Since it is not a sliding strike, etc., it appears the cellator was doing a poor job, or having fun with the design. Curious.

I only have representatives of the Rulers, so these are my only coins:

BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE Folles 30mm 17g 40 Nummi M monogram Obv-Rev.jpg
    BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE Folles 30mm 17g 40 Nummi M monogram

BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE30 Folles 12-2g 40 Nummi M monogram.jpg
    BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE30 Folles 12-2g 40 Nummi M monogram

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I need to improve my coverage of such an important emperor. All I have is the follis below (Constantinople, 541/2 when the plague mentioned on your page hit), and a pentanummium from Carthage (no photo yet). I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for the varieties of Antioch mintmarks! Thanks for this nice revision to your site.

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 10.52.07 AM.png

7. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

@Orfew that Justinian is stunning

8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Great coins and website @Valentinian Early Byzantine coins is an area I wish I knew much more about. I've never been able to devote the proper time to study and read about the coins. I've picked up a few coins of Justinian over the years.

Justinian con.jpg
    Justinian AE Follis, Constantinople mint, 540 - 541 A.D., 23.635g, 39.3mm, 225o, 1st officina,
    Obv: D N IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, globus cruciger in right, shield on left, cross right, shield decorated with horseman.
    Rev: large M (40 nummi), cross above, ANNO left, regnal year X/II/II (year 14) right, A (1st officina) below, CON (Constantinople) in exergue.
    SDCV 163

Justinian kyz.jpg
    Justinian AE Follis, Cyzicus mint, 542 - 543 A.D., 19.765g, 39.4mm, 180o, 2nd officinal.
    Obv: D N IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, globus cruciger in right hand, shield in left hand, to right cross;
    Rev: large M (40 nummi), cross above, A/N/N/O left, regnal year X/V right, B (officina 2) below, KYZ (Cyzicus) in exergue.
    SDCV 207

9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I have several mints but no Antioch. Here is an 8 nummi.
    b205.jpg
    Justinian I
    527 to 562 AD
    Mint: Thessalonica
    AE 8 Nummi
    Obvs: DN IVSTINI(ANVS PP AVG), Diademed, draped, and cuirass.
    Revs: H between smaller A and P, cross above. Dotted border.
    16x18mm, 3.53g

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I especially love the way they found it acceptable to strike 20 nummi coins with 40 nummi obverse dies and with 10 nummi obverse dies. It was like they were looking for ways o drive off condition oriented collectors.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  11. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I was going through my coin notebooks and it turns out I do have a follis from Antioch, though it is unattractive.
    20170901_185201.png
    Justinian AE Follis, Theoupolis (Antioch) mint, 552 - 553 A.D., 18.916g, 35.2mm, 165o, 5th officina,
    Obv: D N IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing holding globus cruciger in right, shield decorated with horseman on left shoulder, cross in right field.
    Rev: Large mark of value M, between A/N/N/O left and X/X/G right (regnal year 16), cross above, officina symbol E (5th officina) below, THYPin exergue.
    SBCV 221

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I have nothing to share, but I do enjoy your write ups and website @Valentinian

Valentinian likes this.
  13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I thought I had a Justinian follis from Antioch, but it is from Constantinople. I have a Maurice Tiberius from Antioch though...

Anc-11a-R5-k0595-Maurice Tiberius-N40-tHEUP’-Γ-533.jpg
    Byzantine Empire
    Maurice Tiberius, r. 582-602 A.D. (595-596 A.D.)
    Theoupolis / Antioch Mint AE Follis/40 Nummi, 27.35 mm x 11.4 grams
    Obv.: Ꝺ N MAVΓI CN P AUT. Crowned bust of Maurice Tiberius facing, wearing consular robes, holding mappa with his right hand and eagle-tipped scepter in his left
    Rev.: ANNO left, XIIII right, tHEUP’ in exergue. Large M center, cross above, Γ below
    Ref.: SBCV 533

Okay, fine, here's the Justinian just for funsies (that and I haven't had a lot of time with my coins lately, and I am missing them...). I believe you sold me this coin too...

Anc-11a-R5-k0527-Justinian I-N40-Con-Γ-160.jpg
    Byzantine Empire
    Justinian I, r. 527-565 A.D.
    Constantinople Mint AE Follis/40 Nummi, 31 mm x 17.4 grams
    Obv.: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG. pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right, star on shoulder
    Rev.: Large M, star to left, cross above, star right, officina letter Γ below, mintmark CON
    Ref.: SBCV 160 (DOC 29)
    Ex. DC Collection

14. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

There were a guy at FORVM who stated that Roman and Byzantine coins were like Rembrandt's baroque or Picassos's Cubism. - While Romans would be Rembrandt, Byzantine style would without doubt be Picasso.

Here some private photos of Antioch minted under Justinian, Justin II and Sofia, Tiberius Constantine and Maurice Tiberius:

tyts (1).jpg tyts (2).jpg tyts (3).jpg tyts (4).jpg tyts (5).jpg tyts (6).jpg tyts (7).jpg tyts (8).jpg tyts (9).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted