Justinian at Antioch

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The story of the coins of Antioch under Justinian is fascinating. Long ago I wrote a page on it:

http://esty.ancients.info/interesting/Justinian.html

Today I added this recent acquisition to it:
    SB222oJustinian30.JPG SB222rJustinian30.JPG

Justinian, Byzantine Emperor, 527-565.
    Follis of year 33 (559/560)
    struck at Antioch on an unusually large flan for this late date. It is 39-34 mm.
    At the time, Antioch had been renamed Theopolis for reasons discussed on my page.
    Sear 222. DO 229 page 147, not photographed.
    Years 28 and 30-34 used this mintmark (sometimes without the terminal *). My page discusses the variety of mint marks used over his long reign.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Interesting coin and a great page. Thanks for the link.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Antioch was a very interesting mint. Very unlike the OP coin, my Antioch half follis used an obverse die much larger than the reverse or the flan. When the obverse is really well centered, there is no legend on flan. SB 230 year XXV
    rz0055fd2521.jpg

zumbly, Quant.Geek, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i have a similar justinian half follis from antioch, i think it's SB 231. pretty good sized coin for a half follis.

[​IMG]

Justinian I, AE Half-Follis. 527-565 AD

DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, helmeted, cuirassed bust facing, holding cross on globe and long sceptre, cross to right / Large K, ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year to right (year 30?), mintmark e (P with angled downstroke?). Antioch mint. SB 231 25x29 mm, 2.5 g

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A nice example!

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Great coin and another fascinating 'page' from your web-site. Your LOVE of coins and all they can tell so obvious to all of us. The research is impressive.... coupled with a very readable and understandable writing style. Congrats @Valentinian !!

Valentinian likes this.
  8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Nice one Valentinian. I've got a Justinian from Antioch, the seated obverse:

Justinian, Byzantine Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG, seated, facing on throne, holding sceptre and cross on globe
    Rev: Large M, star to left, cross above, A below, crescent to right
    Mint: Theupolis (struck 529-533 AD)
    Mintmark: cross THEVP
    Ref: SB 214

[​IMG]

9. The Big Bad Wolf

The Big Bad Wolf Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    Byzantine Empire. Justinian I, 527-565 bronze follis, Constantinople mint, Dated year 14 = 540/541. Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger and shield with horseman, cross to right, DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG / Large M, ANNO to left, cross above, X/II/II to right, A below, CON in exergue. 39.8 mm, 22.17 g. ref: SB 163; DOC 39a. aVF, olive-green patina, earthen deposits.

Jwt708, Quant.Geek, Mikey Zee and 6 others like this.
  10. chrsmat71

this is my coolest antioch mint mark...it has pi!

mmmmmmmmmmm....pie.

[​IMG]

Alegandron, Jwt708, icerain and 6 others like this.
  11. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

The coins of Antioch/Theoupolis are a sweet spot in Byzantium Numismatics (the others being Ravenna and Carthage). Antioch has a very rich history that you have captured beautifully on your page. Not much for me to add. I don't have many Antioch coins, but here are some that I managed to pick up through the years

Byzantine Empire: Justinian I (527-565) Æ Half Follis, Theoupolis (Sear-225; DOC 208; MIBE 135)

Obv: Justinian seated facing on throne, holding scepter and globus cruciger
    Rev: Large K; to left, cross dividing T H/Є U/O/P; Γ to right

A little rough, but it came in a large lot of other Byzantine coins that was one from the Prue Morgan Fitts collection...

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Justin II (565-578) AE Decanummium, Antioch (Sear-383; DOC-111)

Obv: D N IVSTINVS P P AVG; Justin, holding globus cruciger, and Sophia, holding cruciform scepter, seated facing on double throne, both crowned.
    Rev: Large I between A/N/N/O and UII; above, cross; in exergue, THEUP

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Justin II (565-578) Æ Pentanummium, Antioch (Sear-386)

Obv: Monogram of Justin II illustrated below
    Rev: Large Є, cross to the right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Follis, Antioch Mint (Sear-532)

Obv: Crowned facing bust, wearing consular robe, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre
    Rev: Large m between A/N/N/O and II; above, cross; in exergue, THEUP

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Æ Decanummium, Theoupolis (Sear-536; DOC 196; MIBE-100b)

Obv: Crowned facing bust, holding mappa and eagle-tipped scepter
    Rev: Large X; cross above, e below; A/N/N/O III (date) across field

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602 AD) Æ Pentanummium, Antioch (Sear-539; MIB-103)

Obv: Monogram of Maurice Tiberius as illustrated below
    Rev: Large U, pellet within, cross above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Phocas (602-610) Decanummium, Antioch (Sear-675)

Obv: d N FOCA NE PE AV. Phocas (left) and Leontia (right) standing facing; the emperor holds globe cruciger, the empress holds cruciform sceptre; between their heads, cross.
    Rev: Large X between ANNO - II; cross above; beneath, P.

[​IMG]

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I do not have an Antioch mint... Just these two:

BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE Folles 30mm 17g 40 Nummi M monogram Obv-Rev.jpg
    BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE Folles 30mm 17g 40 Nummi M monogram

BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE30 Folles 12-2g 40 Nummi M monogram--- Obv-Rev.jpg
    BZ Justinian I 527-565 CE AE30 Folles 12-2g 40 Nummi M monogram

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

One of my very few Byzantines---Good ol' Maurice:

byzanatine.jpg

14. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

What a beautiful group! I love the color on the pentanummium. All of them are very pleasing.
    If anyone wonders about the stories of the emperors, I strongly recommend the series by John Julius Norwich, "Byzantium" in three volumes or its condensation "Byzantium, A Short History." These books are more fun for numismatists than most history books because they are focused on stories (gossip!) of the emperors. If you have a coin of, say, Justinian, and want to know about him, this work is excellent.

15. chrsmat71

some nice looking coin there QG!

Quant.Geek likes this.
  16. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good looking Justinian coins, got one I haven't posted yet but will do tonight.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Only lately have I become more interested in this period and I appreciate the book reference. Added to the ole' Amazon Wish List.

Draft saved Draft deleted