Justin II & Sophie Æ Follis, Nicomedia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ewomack, Jun 7, 2023.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

569_to_570_JustinIIAndSophie_Follis_01.png 569_to_570_JustinIIAndSophie_Follis_02.png
    Justin II & Sophie (Year 5, 569 - 570), Æ Follis, 31.4mm, 11.83g, Nicomedia, Obv: DN IVUSTINUS PP AVG Justin II and Sophie seated facing forward, each with nimbus, holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter; Rev: ANNO U, large M surmounted by cross, with B below, NIKO in exergue, Sear 369

robinjojo, Clavdivs, Kentucky and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice example.

[​IMG]
    Justin II & Sophia (565 - 578 A.D.)
    Æ Follis
    O: D N VSTI NVS P P AV, nimbate figures of Justin and Sophia seated facing on double throne, holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter, respectively.
    R: Large M; A/N/N/O to left, Chi-Rho above, (date) to right; B//CON
    Constantinople Mint, Year 10
    29mm
    14g
    DOC I 38; SB 360

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

That is a very nice obverse for a Justin II & Sophia Follis! I think all of mine (at least in recent memory) came in group lots, and are of pretty average circulated condition. Some are in the "unfortunate-to-dreadful" range (I suspect that's actually what NGC would put on some of their labels if graded).

I do have one that is from the NIKO mint (and Officina B), like the OP coin, but it was struck 6 years later:

Justin Sophia NIKO Follis.png

Part of what makes Byzantine Folles satisfying is that are pretty substantial coins (as H.J. Berk put it, they're the "Eastern Roman Successors of the Sestertius"!).

Like the previous two posted (at 29mm/14g & 31.4mm/11.83g), mine is a hefty bronze: 30 x 27mm, 11.97g, 6h.

What's really fun is to line up as many Byzantine Folles together as possible. Of course, there was the brief blip of extremely large Justinian Folles (struck in his Regnal Years 12-15) which dwarf all others.

Below is a photo, to scale, showing this one alongside a few examples from the preceding and succeeding reigns, including a massive 45mm Year 12 Justinian (I got these ones together in the same group lot from Kolner Auktion 112):

Byzantine Folles 6X Kolner 112-516 (part) Maurice Tiberius Justinian Follis Justin II Sophia.jpg

To my amazement, the other one in that group (in "unfortunate" condition) had virtually identical measurements, but from a different year (6) and mint (CON): 30 x 27mm, 11.98g, 6h!

Justin Sophia CON AE Follis.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  5. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

justin2 nicomedie.jpg

justin2 antioche.jpg
    Two folles of Justin II and Sophia, from Nicomedia and Antioch.

But my favourite is a small Justin II pentanummion from Antioch :

Justin II pentanummium.jpg

robinjojo, Curtis, ewomack and 2 others like this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Nice addition.. Nice and hefty.

I only have a half follis of Justin II and Sophia that I purchased in 2020 for a heck of a deal

upload_2023-6-8_16-4-17.png

robinjojo, Curtis, ewomack and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted