Justin’s Top Coins of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Preface: I just want to say that I've been watching and reviewing most other's Top Coins of 2019 lists, but haven't had the time to review as deeply as I'd like as my wife and I just closed on a house last week and moving is proving to take lots of time, I just finished a course I was taking this last quarter last Friday, and the end of the year is super busy at work with preparing for the January launch of courses... Yesterday was the start of my PTO through the rest of the year, so I'll be making my way through all the lists (thank you Curtis for curating them!) and giving them the attention they are due as the days/weeks continue... Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019 saw my second anniversary of ancient coin collecting as well as my membership to CT. As many of you said yourselves, narrowing a top down to 10 is excruciatingly tough. I started out about two weeks ago with about 2 dozen that I pulled out as possible candidates and placed them on my coffee table. I found myself as I was trying to filter it down, I’d often pick up a strong contender coin and was like “Well, if I want to include this coin, I’d probably want to have this one alongside it.” This became more the rule than the exception. So I eventually succumbed to it and realized that most of my top coins were in pairs (or even “couples”)… I just went with it, as I hope you will too.

I ended up with 7 pairs + 3 singles (and ready-to-mingle in 2020). Here we go…

--------

#10 – Carthage, Tanit & Horse Head with Palm and Pellet
    “Hi, my name is Tanit. I’m single, I like horses, and long walks on the beach under the palm trees.”

I’m fascinated with the power that was Carthage and love adding to that sub-collection as I can, as some of the coins below illustrate. I already had a few Tanit/Horse Head coins, but didn’t have the palm version. Interestingly, this one came with a pellet below the horse head which I hadn’t noticed until I had it in hand making it all the more special.

[​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 290-260 BC
    First Punic War
    AE Shekel, Carthage (or Sardinia?) Mint
    Obverse: Head of Tanit left, wearing wreath of grain and earrings, pellet or control mark below.
    Reverse: Horse head right; palm tree to right, pellet below.
    References: MAA 57n, SNG Cop 174-176
    Size: 19mm, 4g

#9 – Gallienus & Salonina
    Awww, what a sweet couple!

I got this Gallienus in early June liking how detailed it was and the price was really great. Later in the month, I then came across this Salonina and was just impressed with the crispness and even the depth of her hair in the back. They fit very well in my ever-expanding Roman Alexandrian sub-collection.

[​IMG]
    Gallienus, Ruled 253-268 AD
    BL Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 261/262 AD
    Obverse: AVT K Π ΛIK ΓAΛΛIHNOC CEB, laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left, holding wreath in beak, palm over shoulder, ENATOV to left and L to right (year 9=261/262 AD).
    References: Emmett 3802, Dattari 5286, Köln 2908
    Size: 22mm, -- g

[​IMG]
    Cornelia Salonina, Wife of Gallienus who ruled 253-268 AD
    AE Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 264/265 AD
    Obverse: KOPNHΛIA CAΛΩNЄINA CЄB, diademed and draped bust of Salonina right.
    Reverse: Eirene standing left, holding olive branch and sceptre; palm before, IB/L (date), (RY 12 = 264/265 AD).
    References: Köln 2969; Dattari 5331; Milne 4102; Emmett 3855
    Size: 18mm, -- g
    Notes: A very beautiful and intelligent woman, she was extremely loyal to her husband. Opinion is divided as to whether she was murdered in the purge of Gallienus’ family after his murder, or if she survived.

#8 – Maximianus Squared
    This summer I saw this really interesting Maximianus/Hercules Alexandrian tet on Vcoins with a little B in exergue, which I had never noticed on an Alexandrian provincial before, and I had to have it. I did a little more research on this exergue phenomenon and along the way found the reverse die match on a Zach “Beast” Beasley coin.

Last month I purchased a handful of other Alexandrian tets and discovered that one of them, another Maximianus, had a Gamma in exergue. I’m now a bit more aware and on the lookout for more Alexandrians with exergue, specifically a Diocletian with one.

[​IMG]
    Maximianus, Ruled 286-305 AD (First Reign)
    Struck Year 7, 291/292 AD
    Obverse: ΜΑΞΙΜΙΑΝΟC CЄΒ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Hercules standing facing, head left, leaning on club with right hand, apples of the Hesperides in left hand, lion’s skin over left arm, date L-Z (year 7 = 291/292 AD) across fields, B in exergue (officina).
    References: Emmett 4131, Milne 5027 var, Curtis 2086 var
    Size: 19mm, 8.2g

[​IMG]
    Maximianus, Ruled 286-305 AD (First Reign)
    Struck Year 8, 292/293 AD
    Obverse: MAΞIMIANOC CЄB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Tyche standing l., holding rudder and cornucopiae, date L – H (year 8 = 292-293 AD) across fields, Γ in exergue (officina).
    References: Emmett 3160, Dattari 5993

#7 – Augustus Denarius
    Augustus is one of my favorite emperors. This denarius came up for auction earlier this year and I put in a proxy bid just a little over the starting bid and I ended up being the happy winner. Maybe it being broken scared other bidders away, but it doesn’t bother me and is relegated to only a small edge on one side. And when I received it I was pleasantly surprised to see there was some toning beginning to occur and it has continued with a beautiful cool blue.

[​IMG]
    Augustus, Ruled 27 BC-14 AD
    AR Denarius, Lugdunum Mint, Struck 2 BC-4 AD
    Obverse: CAESAR AV[GVS]TVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE Laureate head of Augustus to right.
    Reverse: AVGV[STI F C]OS [DESIG PRINC IVVENT] / [C] L CAESARES•, Gaius and Lucius Caesar standing, each, togate, resting hand on shield and spear, simpulum, left, and lituus, right, flanking, right and left respectively
    References: RIC 210, RSC 43c
    Size: 19.5mm, 3.6g
    Ex: Pliego, 43rd Online Auction (March 26, 2019), Lot #81

#6 – Galba Antioch & Caracalla Antioch
    One of my first sub-collections was a focus on Roman Antiochene bronze coins, specifically the simple SC in wreath types. Galba AE Antiochene coinage is not very common and he was a ruler that I was on the hunt for and ended up being successful in finding one. After receiving it, I was able to find an exact double die match with McAlee Collection coin that is a very rare obverse legend variety.

Caracalla AE Antiochene coinage is more common, though not entirely common as he just started striking coinage there after a hiatus during his father’s reign. Similar to the Maximianus coins above, this Caracalla coin was special and included a mysterious B to the right of the eagle at bottom. Its purpose is not entirely known, but it is believed to have some reference to denomination, maybe as the mints were starting back up again (I think it might have to do with this die being a prototype of the denominations). It is a reverse die match with the McAlee plate coin, and I found an obverse die match with a coin on ACSearch. Both these coins are quite fascinating in what most might think of as mundane Antioch AE SC wreath types.

[​IMG]
    Galba, Ruled Jun 8 68 AD-Jan 15, 69 AD
    AE23, Syria, Antioch Mint
    Obverse: [IMP SER GALBA] CAE AVG, laureate head right.
    Reverse: Large SC within laurel wreath of eight leaves, fastened at top with pellet, between inner circle and outer dotted border.
    References: RPC I 4315 var (obverse legend), McAlee 314 (same dies)
    Size: 23mm, 8.99g
    Notes: Very rare variety (obv legend), only two known to McAlee, but not this one (?). Does that make this the third known?
    Ex: Savoca Coin Auction, 2nd Blue, Lot #887 (5-3-2019)
    Double die match with this exact coin from McAlee Collection: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=573121

galba-animated.gif

[​IMG]
    Caracalla, Ruled 198-217 AD
    AE22, Syria, Antioch Mint
    Struck 213-215 AD
    Obverse: AYT KAI• ANTΩNEINOC, laureate head right.
    Reverse: SC within laurel wreath of fourteen leaves fastened at top with pellet, eagle facing right with head turned left and wings spread below, B to right of eagle.
    References: McAlee 698, Butcher 455
    Size: 21mm, 7.48g
    Reverse die match with Butcher plate coin 455.
    Obverse die match with this coin (different reverse): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=428430

#5 – Julia Domna & Septimius Severus
    The Power Couple

This reverse type of the Domna, the bootilicious Venus, has been on my list for a most of my collecting duration and I have been just lying in wait until one appeared at the right price. Well, this is that one! It seems appropriate to be having it on this list during this season, as the patina is both green and red, xmas colors.

The Septimius was a coin that I sort of stumbled upon and I was surprised that I actually won it. It is a very pleasant “natural” patina and is nice and smoothly warn with a great feeling in the hand, while still maintaining some of the more important detail such as a great portrait. They certainly are partners!

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, Wife of Sept. Severus,
    Empress 193-217 AD, AE Sestertius,
    Rome Mint, Struck 193-196 AD
    Obverse: IVLIA DO-MNA AVG, Bust of Julia Domna, hair waved and coiled at back, draped, right.
    Reverse: VENERI VICTR, Venus, naked to waist, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand, resting left elbow on column, S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 842
    Size: 30mm, 18.3g
    collagemaker_20190727_174107641.jpg

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, Ruled 193-211 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 193 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP CAES L SEPT SEV PERT AVG, laureate head right.
    Reverse: VICT AVG TR P COS, Victory, winged, draped, advancing left, holding wreath in extended right hand and palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand; S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 656
    Size: 30mm, 21.2g

#4 – Timoleon Dilitron
    When I got this coin I had just done some basic research on it as to estimate the value and place a bid I felt comfortable with… I think I did well price-wise. But it was afterwards that I did even more research on Timoleon and the history surrounding him and the era and am holding out hope for 2020 that more of his coinage finds their way into my collection. Isn’t that the great way that getting new coins goes—spurring on research and learning new things about it? This coin has such an amazing dark emerald green patina, lovely and honest wear, and has great heft and feel in hand.

[​IMG]
    Syracuse, Sicily
    Timoleon and the Third Democracy, Ruling 344-317 BC
    AE Dilitron, Timoleontic Symmachy coinage
    2nd series, struck circa 339/8-334 BC
    Obverse: [ZEYΣ EΛ-EYΘEPIOΣ], Laureate head of Zeus Eleutherios with long hair left (Eleutherios is “Pertaining to Freedom”).
    Reverse: [ΣYPA-K-OΣIΩ-N], free horse prancing or galloping left.
    References: Castrizio Series II, 1; CNS 80; HGC 6, 1439
    Size: 27mm, 18.06g

#3 –Hieron II (Sicily) imitating Ptolemy II & a legit Ptolemy II (Alexandria)
    When I first purchased the Hieron II coin, doing so for the wonderful Zeus portraiture on the obverse, I wasn’t aware of the history surrounding it’s linkage to Alexandria 1,000 miles away. It was only after receiving it that I did more research about the situation at the time, how there may have been Ptolemaic celators in Sicily at the time with Ptolemy II supporting Hieron II, and the later issuing coinage to pay soldiers in a design that they were familiar with (similar to what was regularly done with the Athenian Tet).

I then set out to find a decent example of the original Alexandrian type that this design was “borrowing” from, and sure enough during the summer one appeared from a go-to Ebay seller and I picked it up. Notice how the Alexandrian has the “Σ” and Sicilian does not, and the pretty obvious Greek style of the Sicilian.

[​IMG]
    Syracuse, Sicily imitating Ptolemaic Issues of Ptolemy II Philadelphos in Alexandria
    Minted under Hieron II, Ruled 270-215 BC
    AE Litra, Uncertain mint in Sicily
    Struck post-reform circa 264-263 BC
    Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus right (Sicilian Portrait Style B).
    Reverse: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, with wings spread; oval shield to left, control mark A to lower right near eagle tail; all within sold circle border.
    References: Svoronos 615; Wolf & Lorber, ‘Western Greek’ Style, Subgroup 3 (First Issue), H69 (A42/P56)
    Size: 27mm, 18.3g

[​IMG]
    Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285-246 BC
    AE Diobol, Alexandria mint, Series 2
    Struck circa 285-261/0 BC
    Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus-Ammon right.
    Reverse: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, with wings spread; Σ above Galatian shield to left, A between legs.
    References: Svoronos 560
    Size: 29mm, 14.37g

#2 – Carthage ¼ AR Shekel & Carthage 1½ BL Shekel
    As I mentioned earlier, 2019 brought with it a founding and fascination with the history and coinage of Carthage. I’ve been in aww of the silvers (and electrum/gold) coins that our fellow @Alegandron has in his collection, and had been hoping to find a decent AR Carthage example in my budget. I saw this ¼ Shekel on biddr come and go unbid upon, so I reached out to Savoca and was able to purchase it post-auction at the starting bid! Woohoo!!

I think it’s really cool the variety of denominations based upon the shekel. This billon 1½ Shekel was posted on Ebay by a non-ancient coin seller with dark photos, no size info, and an odd substance on the obverse (Tanit’s face). I took a gamble at a Buy It Now price that I was really comfortable with. When I got it, it ended up being some gummy adhesive that I was able to remove easily with GooGone, to reveal the pretty face underneath.

[​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 2nd Punic War
    AR ¼ Shekel, Hannibal’s time in Italy
    Punic military mint in Campania (Capua) Carthaginian occupation, Circa 216-211 BC
    Obverse: Head of Tanit-Demeter left, wreathed with grain, wearing necklace and pendant earring.
    Reverse: Free horse standing right on ground line, linear border.
    References: MMA 78, SNG Cop 335
    Size: 14mm, 1.67g
    Ex: Savoca Coin Auction, 3rd Silver, Lot #90 (9-15-2019)

[​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 203-201 BC
    BL 1½ Shekel or Tridrachm, Second Punic War
    Obverse: Wreathed head of Tanit left.
    Reverse: Horse standing right, head left; pellet between hind legs.
    References: SNG COP 396, MAA 81c
    Size: 23.5mm, 9.1g
    Notes: Black surfaces; The billon of this issue has extremely low silver content, such that nearly all examples appear to be bronze.

And, Numero Uno…

#1 – Mamertinoi + Mamertinoi = Collecting Bliss
    The story of the Mamertines and their role in the Punic Wars is what got me into my fascination with coinage of Carthage, and the Punic War coinage in general (a gateway drug of sorts). In Fall of 2018, I picked up my first Mamertine coin and it got me hooked. So in February 2019, when I saw this Zeus and Nude Soldier coin appear in the same seller’s store as the 1 ½ Shekel above the month after, not quite as dark, but with a Buy It Now more than double the price of the Tanit (but still very reasonable for the type), I snapped it up. I was very happy to see the relative lack of wear, the clear Mamertine name called out on reverse, and the exquisite design of the dies used.

Then in July, I bid for my first time in a CNG auction and was successful on my 2 targets, one of them being this earlier Mamertine Quadruple unit! During Spring, I had bought a coin that didn’t have its’ size listed and assumed it was a quadruple unit only to have it delivered and it ending up being a rarer double unit. So, in doing research on that coin, I started to build my knowledge on the earlier Mamertine coinage and their earlier denominations. Therefore, I knew exactly what I was bidding on in this case and I put in what had been a measly bid and won it for less than half of what it had sold for in 2004. The style of the dies, the very minimal wear, and the relatively nice state of preservation of the coin (and it’s a wonderful green!) made me really happy with it when I ended up getting it in hand. The provenance of it being in the Tony Hardy Collection, the clear legend of Ares on obverse and Mamertine on reverse, as well as the beautifully recognizable helmet behind are all additional elements going for it.

[​IMG]
    Sicily, Messana, The Mamertinoi
    Circa 220-200 BC, AE Pentonkion
    Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus right, dotted border around.
    Reverse: MAMEPTINΩN, warrior advancing right, wearing helmet and holding shield and spear; Π (mark of value) to right; dotted border around.
    References: CNS 41, SNG ANS 441
    Size: 29x26mm, 11.7g

[​IMG]
    Sicily, Messana, The Mamertinoi
    Circa 288-278 BC, AE Quadruple Unit
    Series I struck circa 288-285 AD
    Obverse: APEOΣ, Laureate head of Ares right; helmet head behind.
    Reverse: MAMEP-TI-NΩN, Bull butting left.
    References: Särström Series I, Group A; Calciati I pg. 91, 1; SNG ANS 399; SNG Copenhagen 428; SNG Morcom 623
    Size: 27mm, 17.51g
    Ex: CNG Auction 447, Lot 20 (7/3/2019);
    CNG Mail Bid Sale 67, Lot 287 (9/22/2004);
    From the Tony Hardy Collection

Thank you all for your support, camaraderie, knowledge, and general friendship. Each and every one of you have made this hobby so much more enjoyable.
    Sincerely, thank you!

Which are your favorites?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

All coins are great. My favorite is number 1.

Justin Lee likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great additions for the year! I have to say that the Augustus denarius is my favorite. That coin is stunning!

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins - you've had a great year!
    The best (or worst?) part of these Year End lists is that they add so much more to my personal want list.
    I have been looking out for a coin of Carthage for about a year but just haven't pulled the trigger yet - now I have to add Timoleon (#4) to the list.
    Amazing coin and history!

Have a great Christmas!

ominus1 and Justin Lee like this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I agree with you and gogili , beautifull Mamertinoi warrior , congrats.

They usually look like my coin:

P1180943bcc.jpg

octavius, galba68, TheRed and 5 others like this.
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Looks like you had a super second year. I am a fan of your Galba coin (or any from the year of 4 emperors). Also, I like any coin with ship parts - Maximianus / Tyche holding rudder. But, my favorite is your Venus looking the other way!
    Julia Domna 3 graces rev.jpg

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I like the Alexandrian tets. Have a soft spot for them. Here is my Salonina...

EGYPT, Alexandria

Billon Tetradrachm, 23mm, 9.8 grams, 12h

Dated RY 15 (A.D. 267-268)

Obverse: KOPNHALA CAAONEINA CEB;
    Diademed and draped bust right.

Reverse: Eagle standing right, holding wreath in beak; palm in left field, L IE to right

Reference: Koln 2983; Dattari 5346; Milne 4189; Curtis 1642; Emmett 3854

salonina1.jpg

salonina2.jpg

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice new additions for you this year. My favorite is probably the Septimius sestertius, but I also really like the Salonina tet and the reverse side (no pun intended) on the J. Domna bronze. And of course, congrats on the new house!

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

#1 , Beautiful.

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely additions to your collection! I like the Galba from Antioch and the Julia Domna sestertius.

Justin Lee and BenSi like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Good year for you @Justin Lee. I'm impressed with them all, but particularly fond of the Salonina.

Justin Lee likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks like a great year and I'm glad you're a CoinTalk member! :)

You've had a provincial-heavy year. I particularly like the Gallienus and Salonina tets and the Maximianus Herakles tet.

My overall favorites may be the Severan power couple. It's hard to leave out the Carthage and Bruttium coins though. The Timoleon Zeus portrait is a classic.

Eh, it's just too hard :D.

In the "cannot be unseen department", did anyone else glance at the last coin and think weird elephant? :D I was very excited, having toyed with the idea of making a subcollection of improbable elephants, since there so many inexplicably unrealistic pachyderms on ancient coins. It would be a fun set...

CT-Justin-MamertinoiElephant.jpg
    Rev: Deformed elephant standing right, protuberant tongue and freakishly large eye; with amputated right foreleg and hindleg; wonky trunk.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats on the house!! Yes indeed moving certainly cuts into coin time :D.

Justin Lee likes this.
  15. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Those are some really nice coins @Justin Lee My favorites are the two coins of the Mamertines. While I would gladlyhave both in my collection, your Pentonkion is my favorite. The warrior on the reverse is great. Here is my one coin of the Mamertines.
    20180327_200117.jpg
    The Mamertini AE Pentonkion. 288-278 B.C. Messana mint, 16.893g, 26.5mm
    Obv: ARES, laureate head of Ares right, uncertain control symbol behind (off flan).
    Rev: MAMERTINWN, eagle with spread wings standing left on a thunderbolt.
    SNG ANS 402

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

Justin Lee likes this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This is a great list and I like almost everything on it! The Syracuse dilitron is a favorite, and I can attest to how wonderfully hefty one of them feels in hand. The two Mamertines are fantastic as well. I think the Domna has a beautiful portrait and excellent ̶r̶e̶a̶r̶ reverse :shame:, and I really like the Gallienus and Salonina too.

Justin Lee likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Domna has better than average style and strike. Mine have such different faults that I have kept both hoping to find one with style and strike not worn out or rough. Maybe someday I can find the coin. rl6220fd0295.jpg rl6230b00197lg.jpg

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

The Carthago are my favorites, but very close behind are the alexandrian Gallienus, Salonina and Maximianus/hercules

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Justin,

Your collection rocks, your pictures are really great and congratulations on the house (and the wedding earlier this year). Sounds like you had a great 2019 on many fronts. After the holidays we need to do a happy hour (my treat!) to celebrate, my friend.

As to my favorites... tough choice but I’ll go with;

#9b - Salonina tet - Your nice photo helps showcase the eye appeal of this coin. I really like the portrait. She was a fascinating empress and far less well known than she deserves.

#7 - Augustus Denarius - What a nicely styled portrait.

#1a & #1b - Both of your top picks are wonderful. Historically interesting, nice big size, great eye appeal, great coins. I particularly like the bull reverse.

Justin Lee likes this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, @Justin Lee ... awesome Carthages! Syracuses! And Mamertini!
    I’d snare them ALL into my collection! Well done, I really like your direction... I enjoy those States, Cities, Empires, and entities that interacted / conflicted with the Roman Republic. The Historical Drama of Carthage vs Rome is incredible! Super job moving into some AR Carthage! And a Hannibal? Great! And Hail Yes!

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted