just wow

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silentnviolent, Jun 4, 2015.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351411893603?redirect=mobile
    Local pick up only, will not ship but will donate your "penny" to their chosen charity if you can't pick it up. The single unidentified wheat cent.

I thought you couldn't have settings on private if you were selling. I must have my wires crossed somewhere.

What a scammy seller.

wp_ss_20150604_0002.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JustHad2

JustHad2 Do It!

Bid it up to about $3,000,000.00 and let it ride ..... Wheeeeee!

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

At a winning bid of 21 cents, the joke's not only on the buyer, but on the seller too.

For fees, eBay gets 2 cents, and PayPal gets a whoppin' 30 cents.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since it's local pickup only I don't think PayPal comes into play most times.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

No, but the listing does state "Please pay by Paypal" . . . for those who would enjoy taking money out if this seller's pocket, buying for something less than the 30c might send a message to this seller.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Since they use the same image over and over again I would go pick it up. If they give me a different wheat cent I would give them a hard time ;)

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Usually that pattern is to build a new seller up to a 'respectable' feedback rating. With minimal effort over a few months you can farm a couple dozen accounts then sell them off to others.

Not sure what the game is here - trying to get to 10K sales for the next color star???

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Not sure why they won't ship, BUT I also sold a few random pennies before. Ebay offered a promotion to my buyer name once... they would give me $10 ebay bucks for each item I sold, up to $50. I sold 5 wheat pennies (and lost about $1 total per sale), but I got $50 in ebay bucks for it! :)

silentnviolent likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You can't sell if your feedback is set to Private. You can make listings private, though. This used to be common for "adult-oriented" material, or anything that the buyer might not want showing up in his purchase history (or where the buyer wouldn't want to show up in a list of bidders).

Now that bidding and purchase histories are effectively always private -- the auction number and item description don't show up in feedback you've received as a buyer, and your ID doesn't show up in feedback you've left as a buyer -- I'm not sure what legitimate reason there is to run a private auction. I guess it still blocks the anonymized feedback and bidding history, which prevents certain kinds of analysis, but the message I get from it is "I have something to hide in my sales history".

11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Bury the negitive

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Exactly the impression I got from the history.

Draft saved Draft deleted