Just won this...AV 80 Reales 1813 Madrid Mint Jose Napoleon SC

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 14, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

From Aureo&Calico Auction Dec. 13/14th. This coin was struck when Spain was occupied by the French Army. Napoleon Bonaparte, was his younger brother. In 1806, Napoleon Bonaparte promoted him to King of Naples and Sicily/ then in 1808, King of Spain. This coin was part of the famed Isaac Rudman collection, with this 1813 example being the finest known.

AV 80 Reales 1813 Madrid Mint FDC
    Joseph Napoleon 1808-13 Joseph-Bonaparte.jpg 1751.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ya know, and I'm sure you do, it started with this -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/transylvania-av-dukat-1646-a-i.276022/

And as hard as it is to believe, for me anyway, that was less than 2 years ago ! And since then there has been an unending barrage of coin after coin after coin posted by you, each of them being as nice or nicer than its predecessors. That in and of itself is no mean feat !

This leads me to believe that, if there is not already, eventually there is going to be another named collection out there the very mention of which garners respect and admiration. At the very least, your collection already has mine. I humbly tip my hat to ya sir ;)

tibor, Endeavor, Cucumbor and 5 others like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Thank you for kind words:happy:! @GDJMSP

Coming from a renowed collector as yourself, I am very humbled. This hobby, which all of us here enjoy so much, always puts me in a postive frame of mind. I am kind of all over the map with my collecting goals, but man its so much FUN! Thank God, that the ancient Lydians invented coinage....
    John

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now this here is coin-collecting.

panzerman likes this.
  6. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Je suis un Bonapartiste! Vive Le Empereur!
    et Vive Napoleon Troiseme!

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Great coin. I am putting together a set of coins of the Bonapartes in silver crowns, and have had a descent Au 20 Francs of Napoleon, but this is a different league. I studied Spanish history, so I have a soft spit for Pepe Botellas. Thanks for sharing.

panzerman likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I really appreciate the coppery orange tone on this piece. A fantastic addition to your collection!

Draft saved Draft deleted